New and Latest Episode Thread

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: New and Latest Episode Thread

Postby ganondox » 22 Jul 2013 10:52

itroitnyah wrote:*spoilers*

I didn't say there was anything explicitly wrong with the idea (like I did with Equestria Girls), just that I thought it was unnecessary. Anyway, I watched the clip and it seems pretty clear this is a flashback, which I think is a good idea, except I have one problem with it. Luna seems way OOC and the event does not appear to correspond with what has been previously established in the shows mythology. Luna didn't sneak up on Celestia and attempt to overthrow her, she refused to lower the moon. Luna wasn't a megalomaniac willing to kill her own sister, she was jealous.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Nine Volt » 22 Jul 2013 12:28

ganondox wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:I wish it could be like Dragon Ball Z where we just vaporize the villains or toss them into the sun and be done with it.

Well it's not like dying means anything in Dragon Ball Z anyway, someone is just going to bring you back to life with a dragon ball or something.

Only if you're a hero :3
Nine Volt

Postby ganondox » 22 Jul 2013 18:58

eery wrote:I like to imagine you guys are discussing the beauty of nothingness.'

Also, the footage for s4 looks hype as fuck. Really looking forward to that now. Esspeccially liked the part about scootaloo getting abused for being shit at flying. Scootabuse will be canon. I am sure of it.

Nothingness is best pony.

My favorite part of the hype was that as well, it's about time. Super Hero episode is WTF (I'm guessing it's a dream or something), and while I don't see anything wrong with Pinkie and Apples I don't find it as compelling as Scoots.
ganondox

Postby ph00tbag » 23 Jul 2013 18:56

ganondox wrote:Oooo, not only do we need to redeem half the villains after the fact, but now we get to redeem Nightmare Moon not once, but TWICE!!! WOOHOO! Can't you see my enthusiasm? Seriously, this sounds completely unnecessary to me. Meh, could be worse, let's see how this goes.

Am I the only one who interprets this scene as Twilight being shown one of Celestia's memories? The interpretation of this as a relapse just doesn't make any sense. I think a lot more questions would be raised in writers' meetings if this were a relapse than if this were reliving a memory.

I'm happy with what I see from the other stuff.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ganondox » 24 Jul 2013 08:09

ph00tbag wrote:*spoiler*
I'm happy with what I see from the other stuff.

No, you aren't, after I saw the clip I thought the same. That's what the general consensus is. Anyway, there are still some problems if this is one of Celestia's memories, but it more or less makes sense.
ganondox

Postby ph00tbag » 24 Jul 2013 08:59

I'm still going to go with you presuming your headcanon to be above actual canon, again.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby ganondox » 24 Jul 2013 11:36

It's not headcanon, go watch the series opening again and tell me if this event matches what's being said there.
ganondox

Postby ph00tbag » 24 Jul 2013 11:52

ganondox wrote:It's not headcanon, go watch the series opening again and tell me if this event matches what's being said there.

The events of the flashback could so very easily be rendered as they are in the book Twilight is reading when filtered through the lens of myth and legend.

In an eclipse, the moon is literally in the way of the sun, and anyone under the umbra could be forgiven for thinking themselves in a state of twilight (indeed, many animals begin their evening routines during solar eclipses). A pony that didn't fully understand what was going on, and wasn't there for the confrontation would probably interpret the moon as refusing to give way to the sun, and shrouding the land in eternal night.

The fact is, the book Twilight was reading at the beginning is extremely vague, and written as a compendium of myths and legends. You could try to infer what happened based on the text, but all of it would be headcanon. You've inferred that Luna literally did not allow the sun to rise. The alternate inference you could have made is that Luna literally blocked the sun from visibility. One of these turned out to be correct, the other, not so much. Just because your inference was incorrect, though, doesn't mean the correct one is bad. You're being biased in favor of your own flawed speculation.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Sonarch » 24 Jul 2013 16:17

Oh jeez I didn't watch much of the released footage so as to avoid spoilerage, but judging by all this nothing it must have been pretty good to warrant such blank discussion!
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby ganondox » 24 Jul 2013 18:51

That's just an extra technicality. Anyway, creating an explanation for how exactly "not lowering the moon" works or interpreting the story as being myth is headcanon, I was just going with exactly what was said in the episode. I was more talking about the dynamics between the encounter between Celestia and Luna and how Nightmare Moon was created. This doesn't matched up with how Luna was described in the storybook, nor is Luna acting in character for how she is seen in the present.
ganondox

Postby ph00tbag » 24 Jul 2013 22:46

Again, oral tradition lends itself to anachronism. Even literary tradition is imperfect. The description of the events of Luna's fall in the book will never match perfectly to what actually happened. I don't even think Celestia's version of events really captures what Luna was going through.

I dunno, maybe I'm just not as salty because my headcanon is largely confirmed, and where it is discredited, the reality is far more awesome than what I envisioned. I think you've created a vision of the story in your mind that doesn't line up with the events therein described, and you're just upset about it.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby ganondox » 25 Jul 2013 00:00

ph00tbag wrote:*spoiler

Again, this has nothing to do with any headcanons on my part, I'm just going with exactly what was said in the episode and is thus assumed to be canon. I don't even have any headcanon for the actual confrontation. Your the one who adopted the headcanon that this is corrupted by oral legend. The problem isn't that I'm holding faster to my headcanon, but you are quicker to accept new information even if it appears to clash with established canon. Anyway, we will see what's going on once the episode comes out, but from what I know right now Luna appears to be OOC.
ganondox

Postby ph00tbag » 25 Jul 2013 16:20

Why would my interpretation be headcanon when it is derived from the discrepancies between 101 and 401? I scrapped my own personal headcanon about what happened when Luna fell when I saw that clip. What you see in the clip is canon, and the factual inaccuracies about that event in Twilight's book in 101 are precluded by the events in 401. Therefore they are necessarily born of some distorting factor, oral tradition being the most likely. Revisionist history is another possibility. We have no idea who the historian writing that book is, or what kind of agenda they brought to the table when writing the book.

And the reason that Luna is "OOC" in the scene is because Luna isn't the only entity holding the conversation. The Nightmare is a canon entity. Just because you don't read the comics doesn't make them not canon.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Jul 2013 17:17

Can we all just accept the fact that Dragon Ball Z is a superior show?
Nine Volt

Postby ganondox » 25 Jul 2013 21:37

ph00tbag wrote:*spoiler

401 isn't out yet. We aren't even sure if that's from S4 E1 yet. Anyway, since the episode is not even out yet we can't make any assumptions on what implications it has a canon. We know what's going on for sure in 101, that's it. Thus as of now any assumptions about what happened there is headcanon until confirmed. I'm just saying that from what we've seen Luna appears to be OOC. We don't know what that implies until the episode actually comes out.

Nine Volt wrote:Can we all just accept the fact that Dragon Ball Z is a superior show?

No. :P
ganondox

Postby ph00tbag » 26 Jul 2013 00:47

It says 401 on the data track in the bottom right corner. I'm assuming that means it's episode 401.

But seriously, do you logic at all? You're the one that stipulated if we assume the premise that the animatic is a flashback, you would have x and y criticisms based on the internal logic introduced by that initial assumption. I am saying that those criticisms do not follow from the internal logic introduced by the initial assumption.

Now your response is to tell me that the initial assumption is invalid because all initial assumptions are invalid. Well, that's all well and good, but it doesn't validate your criticisms based on the assumption that the animatic depicts a flashback, and my point still stands on the internal logic of that assumption. However, what your new claim does do, is raise an entirely different question: if no assumptions based on the animatic are valid, how can you claim to have any valid criticisims of it, since those criticisms must make assumptions about the content of the cinematic? Well, the answer is that you can't.

By your own logic, you really need to stop being a wet blanket.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 27 Jul 2013 04:06

I'm looking forward to season 4, I like having the weekend routine of staying up for streams. I'm in Australia, so if I wanna catch the streams I gotta stay up till about 1:30 am. Back in the first half of season 2 it was 3:30 am, which kinda destroyed my sleeping patterns for about 2 months since Season 2 started as the end of ywar school holidays started here.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Jokeblue » 24 Aug 2013 19:38

Season 4 looks really good! Except for the Luna part. They better handle that well.

Also pirate pinkie in apples to the core
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby itroitnyah » 25 Aug 2013 17:03

There are going to be "She's a pony" remixes all over again, aren't there? Or at least some new songs about pinkiepirate.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Jokeblue » 26 Aug 2013 07:53

Pinkie pierate is the ultimate life form. She is the perfect pirate captein. She is supreme, and She alone can lead us to glory and buried treasure.

I would follow Pinkie Pierate to the blackened depths of Davy Jones' locker with complete trust, for She alone is my Captein.

Jokeblue

Postby itroitnyah » 26 Aug 2013 12:24

There was a chinese female pirate that was the captain of the biggest pirate group in the whole world. Her forces were strong enough that the chinese government gave her money to stop and she retired wealthily. Or something. Everybody feared her. She would behead tons of people every day for not following orders prooperly. I don't know her name or anything though.
itroitnyah

Postby Jokeblue » 26 Aug 2013 16:31

That was Pinkie Pierate without a doubt, Yahaar.

Pinkie Pierate has the uncanniest luck there is, something tells me that Pirate adventures with her as a Captain would always have some kind of out there Jack Sparrow and crew kind of results where things don't make sense but you go with it and it works anyway

Jokeblue

Postby itroitnyah » 23 Nov 2013 09:14

Guise, waking up this thread. It's finally relevant again.

The first episode is in progress right now.

The beginning felt rushed, but the animation is a bit better, especially with the lighting. I feel like some of the emotions are over-acted, but other than that, it's pretty good so far.
itroitnyah

Postby itroitnyah » 23 Nov 2013 09:15

itroitnyah

Postby itroitnyah » 23 Nov 2013 10:02

First episode was rushed. Overall it was only OK.

The second episode though, is better. It's a bit rushed, imo, buuuut it explains a lot about the past, shows a lot of things and fills in some blanks. It's some fan pandering, but it puts the story into the episode, so it's great.

Haha, whaaaaaaat Twi's friends abandoned her in a part of episode two. It's kind of frustrating how the episode writers rushed it so quickly. Twi's in trouble and the others are a ways away? Suddenly they're right there and the problem is over in a matter of seconds. This really bugs me, because they're trying to shove so much stuff in such little time. Overall it was OK. Season 2 still reigns as best season.
itroitnyah

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic