Sound Samples

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Sound Samples

Postby MichaelA » 16 Nov 2011 00:27

So to put it bluntly, I suck at adding sound samples in my songs. It may be because my genre doesn't really work with many samples(which I want to believe, but I think I just suck.). But I want to know how you guys know what samples to put in your songs. This is the hardest part for me. Hell, I have a million Twilight quotes, and I have nothing more then a word or two of a quote in my songs. I want to actually incorporate phrases and such, problem is:
1) I don't know what quotes work with what songs I'm working on. If somepony has a trick to this tell me.

2)I'm not creative. It seems as if most of my songs don't need quotes. Which is all fine and dandy, but then again, what makes my songs "pony" songs then?? It would also be nice to have some vocal slicing in there once in a while.

General Mumble does a good job at this, and KeepOnRockin' as well.
If you can can offer me any help I would love you.
Not that I already don't <3

Examples of my 1-liner vocal samples:
(WIP I'm doing, theres 2 in here):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40367185/Tumblr ... Sample.mp3

I Need That:
http://youtu.be/jOI22RMbZ2E?t=25s

Basically I can't do more then that. Any help would be great! Thanks!
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Re: Sound Samples

Postby Lethaargic » 18 Nov 2011 20:45

Try experimenting with altering the pitch/stretching parts of the sample so that it follows along with the lead. KOR and Mumble both excel at this.

The main thing I would suggest is come up with a theme, have your samples reflect that. And don't use a huge variety of different samples (though I'm guilty of that), stick to 2 or three. Try using one in full, then slice it up and bring in just part(s) of it later.
art is the quintessential embodiment of telepathy, it is how we show each other the inside of our minds

Previously Spacepsy

SoundCloud
Lethaargic

Return to Technique