Help! Trying to Setup a Club Mixer to Computer

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Help! Trying to Setup a Club Mixer to Computer

Postby blazah99 » 03 Aug 2013 14:33

I need help. My friend and I are trying to hookup his club mixer w/ vinyl record players to my computer so we can record and master his recordings in Cubase 7. We've been at it for days trying but the problem were getting is every recording we do we get a reverb/echo effect every time, particularly on the vocals. I think its something in our chain(setup) and he thinks its something with Cubase but we havent been able to identify why this is happening. We've adjusted our levels, latency, and removed everything we can think of but its still persists, and were both very very frustrated. Please if you can help us, let us know what were doing wrong, etc let us know.

Took a quick pic of our setup. The chain goes Mixer's RCA Record out > RCA cable > Stereo's Video/Aux in(for amplification) > Stereo's high freq RCA out > RCA Y-Splitter > Stereo's Speakers & RCA to 1/4 RST Instrument cable > Focusrite 2i4 Mic1 in(set to instrument) > laptop computer.

ImageImage
DAWs: Cubase 7, FL Studio Mobile
blazah99

Re: Help! Trying to Setup a Club Mixer to Computer

Postby itroitnyah » 03 Aug 2013 22:38

This is perhaps a stupid shot into the dark, but maybe the song actually has reverb in the vocals and everything is recording correctly? Or have you listened to the vinyl on a good set of speakers/monitors and the reverb you're hearing isn't natural on the vinyl, as I'm assuming that's what you mean?

You can almost guarantee that the problem lies in the cords, that's the safest guess I'll take. And I can probably pin point the problematic cord to the stereo's video/aux in for amplification, as you have it set up. Unless this cord is necessary for anything other than amplification (I'm assuming you mean amping as in "increase volume" and not "power" type of amplifying), then don't use that cord. In fact, if you can, try completely replacing all the cables with cables of the same type and see what happens, but only if you have spares lying around or are willing to go and buy more cables. I don't want you to spend money unnecessarily. Or the problem could potentially lie with the length of the cables. I heard in a free online college course I took that recording studios often try to use the shortest XLR cables for their condenser microphones as they can, because shorter cables=better quality.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Technique