FL Users or people with Edison: Exporting vs. Edison

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

FL Users or people with Edison: Exporting vs. Edison

Postby itroitnyah » 19 Jul 2013 10:30

Ok, this thread probably isn't the biggest piece of advice you're going to get in the world, but I just thought I'd let you all know that using Edison could potentially help with retaining quality in your song for the mastering step.

For a quick example, I took my current WIP, exported it using the settings in the image below, and the final bitrate quality turned out to be 2304kbps

Using Edison, I recorded the song inside of FL (by just hitting the record button in Edison and the play button in FL, not by recording with a mic through my speakers), and when I used the "Save Sample As" in the dropdown, the final bitrate for this "export" was 3072kbps

So unless there's something that would actually make using Edison instead of Export less efficient, this is just a small piece of probably useless advice, lol. Could help you get a little bit of extra quality out of your song in the final run.

note: This does take up an extra 20mb or so (or did so for me). You could probably still use the export feature for the final export of your mastered track so that it doesn't take much longer to upload a .wav file anywhere online.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: FL Users or people with Edison: Exporting vs. Edison

Postby itroitnyah » 19 Jul 2013 11:03

Hm, doesn't seem to have any lag or delay with me, so it doesn't sound any different when I record it into edison. But whatever.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Majora MIM » 19 Jul 2013 14:00

Maybe it's just that Edison recorded in 32 bit float while you exported your track in 24 bit int.

32 bit files are bigger and therefor have a bigger kbps ratio. The quality difference is irrelevent though. It's just about compatibility and sound processing afterwards, but the quality is pretty much the same.
Majora MIM

Postby Conchetupony » 19 Jul 2013 19:57

Majora MIM wrote:Maybe it's just that Edison recorded in 32 bit float while you exported your track in 24 bit int.

32 bit files are bigger and therefor have a bigger kbps ratio. The quality difference is irrelevent though. It's just about compatibility and sound processing afterwards, but the quality is pretty much the same.

Probably this. Plus, you don't need more than 16-bit int at 44.1 khz, when rendering the release/final version of a track.

Also notice that exporting the song offers you options such as using "HQ for all plugins" - which definitely will improve quality, while taking a long time to render, while bouncing to Edison simply records the output in real time, with CPU spikes and all.
oops I dropped the bass

will you pick it up for me
Conchetupony

Primary: Ardour 3.3.1
Cutie Mark: Mindlessly rocking out

Postby Raddons » 19 Jul 2013 22:03

Recording into Edison does NOT capture the audio lag/skips as a result of CPU spikes.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby GCKrastin » 25 Jul 2013 15:43

You'll notice in the export window you have quality options like Alias-free TS404, Disable max poly, and HQ for all plugins. None of those options exist in Edison, so if you have max poly enabled or something like that then Edison won't record everything it should. And especially with the max poly option, it won't lower the quality but it will remove notes from the song if too many are playing at once.

Edison is good for resampling, recording short previews, and exporting samples. I wouldn't use it to render a full song.
Producing mediocre drum and bass since 2012.
Stuff I use: FL Studio 12, Harmor, Sytrus, Maximus, Akai MPK Mini, Numark Mixtrack
SoundCloud -=- YouTube -=- Tumblr
GCKrastin

Primary: FL Studio 11/12

Return to Technique