Shitty is Pretty: The FUNK Constitution

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Shitty is Pretty: The FUNK Constitution

Postby DerpyGrooves » 22 May 2013 21:40

Here.

Keep in mind that, although specific to 1970s-era, motown infused funk, the musical ideas discussed are super usable across other genres. For example:

"In today’s world of tasteless sampling and beat pimping, it is very difficult for most people to overcome the urge to pander to the break hunters and indulge in excessive breaks. So I find I must interject a personal plea to all those who make music: IN THE NAME OF ALL WHICH IS TASTEFUL AND DELICIOUS, RESTRAIN YOURSELF DON’T BE A BEAT SLUT. To sprinkle breaks all over a record like salt on English food might make it more easily disgestible to the masses but will eventually cheapen the face of the once-sacred breaks in society and undermine the entire cause and effect of its existence. Breaks are like antibiotics. If we prescribe them to everybody, in a few years we will all be immune to them."
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: Shitty is Pretty: The FUNK Constitution

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 23 May 2013 00:14

Pretty interesting take on break beat samples.

I only really use those for individual samples mostly.

But for the most part I agree. If everyone does the same thing with the same samples it stops being special and becomes mediocre.
*cough* nexus *cough*
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby itroitnyah » 23 May 2013 05:56

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:*cough* nexus *cough*
Using that logic, we can stop calling orchestral special as well. It's not so much that people are using the same sample, it's that they're all using the same sample the same way. A lot of the really good songs that get rated really high but have a cliche sample in them are rated high because they use the sample uniquely.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 23 May 2013 06:04

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote: If everyone does the same thing with the same samples it stops being special and becomes mediocre.

itroitnyah wrote: It's not so much that people are using the same sample, it's that they're all using the same sample the same way.

We literally said the exact same thing...
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Freewave » 23 May 2013 08:48

Not sure i get what the guy is saying (based only on that quote, i need to visit that site when not at work)..... i mean the amen break has been used hundreds of times and for a good reason (and transformed in many of those attempts) but there's plenty of other great breaks and samples waiting to be attempted, many barely being used at all. Key is to find something rarely used or if it has been a few times to transform it a bit. But sampling older music / breaks isn't a problem in the brony community tbh and few modern producers (outside of Daft Punk in the 90's and Kanye West) use it that much. We will never get more music to sample from the 70's but people can always dig deeper. Also as time passes the classic sample used in a record from a hip hop classic in the 80's and 90's will be forgotten and be avaulable and fresh for a new generation. Sampling from the prev samplers won't be a bad thing as they were good at their craft. When i made this it wasn't because i was familiar with the original records, it was because beastie boys and dj shadow had turned me on to those samples in their original works. But i found more off those original records they sampled from to use (through the magic of soulseek and being able to find them available digitally online) then the short snippets they did (there was plenty of meat left on the bone). I encourage people to actually sample more as it's overwhelmingly underused in this community.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Return to Technique