synth-ey sound, how i find?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

synth-ey sound, how i find?

Postby swivel » 05 Nov 2011 20:34

ok im trying to remix a piece of music in the same style as this song that i absolutely love, and i wanted to know if any of you knew how i could get as close as possible to this sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxcze86uRzU&t=51
in FL9. are there like plugins for this type of thing that i don't know about? still very new here.

god that songs so fucking cool, every time i listen to it.
Last edited by swivel on 07 Nov 2011 15:44, edited 2 times in total.
swivel

Re: synth-ey sound, how i find?

Postby Stars In Autumn » 06 Nov 2011 01:11

So I was just going to post what I thought it was but then I decided to try and make it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/128347/PikaGirl_Synth.mp3
First part is the original, then my synth, then overlapped.

Fairly close I think.

So I think it's just two sine waves an octave apart. I adjusted the wave width a bit to be longer. I added some reverb and EQed out some buzzing.

For the wobbly sound you hear, that's a vibrato effect (some synths have it, but there are effect plugins that can do it as well). Applying a LFO to the pitch will get that sound as well. I used Atlantis to make the synth, but anything with two oscillators should be able to do it.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby swivel » 06 Nov 2011 01:17

1 that sounds awesome,
2 i have no idea what you just said,
3 i love your music.

ill probably be able to figure it out though, i am a very good googler
swivel

Postby Stars In Autumn » 06 Nov 2011 01:29

swivel wrote:1 that sounds awesome,
2 i have no idea what you just said,
3 i love your music.

ill probably be able to figure it out though, i am a very good googler

Let me know what terms you don't understand and I'll explain it for you. The Atlantis synth is free though, and compatible with FL Studio. You can get it here.

And thanks for the compliments!
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Postby swivel » 06 Nov 2011 10:13

I'm having some trouble working with Atlantis in the first place. I've looked over this manual http://jeremyevers.com/wp-content/uploa ... manual.pdf
but i cant find any real tutorials and such.

[Edit] now that i have it to war i can hear something, it wont shut the hell up.
swivel

Postby Stars In Autumn » 06 Nov 2011 11:47

If Atlantis is playing a note even when you're not sustaining one, hit the stop button on FL studio. It gets stuck on a note if you have a key pressed down while you're also adjusting something in the synth. Also, you can run into issues using that synth's reverb settings. I don't use it's reverb settings because it can sometimes generate an incredible amount of noise if you boost the resonance to max.

How much do you understand about synths? Atlantis is probably not the most beginner friendly synth since it has almost no presets and a whole bunch of things to configure. For the most part, you'll just be adjusting what wave forms you'll be using (the top left part of the synth), the attack envelopes of each oscillator (the bottom left line charts), and any filters you want to use (F1/F2).

You can configure something similar just using the 3x osc native plugin in FL. Just turn the volume all the way down on the 3rd oscillator, pitch the 2nd oscillator down 12 semitones (one octave) with the crs knob. Make sure the attack, decay, and release knobs are turned all the way down for both oscillators.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Postby swivel » 06 Nov 2011 12:14

i have never used one before
and i understand enough about what you said to do it with the 3x osc.
swivel

Postby swivel » 07 Nov 2011 02:12

whelp I'm lost again,

[Edit]: wait im getting something,

[Edit]: got it, thanks.

[Edit, yet again]: hmm now i need it to sound more umm i think muffled but im not sure.
swivel

Postby Aussie » 07 Nov 2011 10:23

swivel wrote:[Edit, yet again]: hmm now i need it to sound more umm i think muffled but im not sure.

Muffled? You probably wanna screw around with the filters then. I have no idea if Atlantis has filters built in, but if it doesn't, I know FL probably has a plugin...
Aussie

Postby swivel » 07 Nov 2011 10:46

also, starting at 1:02 that drum-beat thing, sounds like multiple things put together but i cant fit together what.
swivel

Postby Whitetail » 07 Nov 2011 10:51

Most raw synthy sounds like that can be made with an oscillator synth, another plugin to try would by 3xOSC.

Carbon 2 (free instrument for the Reaktor player) also works pretty well for that sort of sound if you know how to work it, but it has a bit more knobs to work with so it may be a little confusing.
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... -5-player/
Whitetail

Return to Technique