Modular Synths

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: Modular Synths

Postby Acsii » 22 Apr 2013 15:25

I guess analog is also a thing you have to come to like in this day an age with software synths so easy to get compared to analog, I guess it's also the price thing. But for me it's not really about the price or anything like that it's just I absolutely love analog synths. And it's also the same thing, surely you can get a guitar plugin but it will never fully emulate the character of the guitar
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby the4thImpulse » 22 Apr 2013 16:02

Nine Volt wrote:So what exactly is the point of modular synths? I get the hardware aspect can be appealing and there's obviously the collector or vintage aspect for older ones, but I honestly see no benefit to actually using modular synths over software ones. Software synths are so much more versatile and easier to use.

All true but the two a major factors I consider are the sound and the hands on experience.

Analog synths all have a imperfect sound, tuning oscillators, artifacts, nature clipping. Software just doesn't compare. Sometimes you will want a digital synth because there is a lot digital can do that a normal hardware synth can't do (at least without having a huge complex synth), and of course digital cant produce the same analog sound so if that's what you want you to get analog.

I much prefer using knobs and faders over a computer mouse, a modular synth take sit a step further and allows you to 'program' the snth any way imaginable through the patching. If you have electrical experience it is possible to modify the circuits behind each module.

The fact that you can't save patches on hardware like you could software makes it more special when you find 'that' sound and record what you can before moving on with a track.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby the4thImpulse » 22 Apr 2013 18:01

ΛCSII wrote:Hey 4th what are your thoughts on the Space Case B*aby

I'm also thinking of getting an MS-20 mini and then possibly connecting that up to the modular system

EDIT: I decided it was probably more feasible to get the Space Case B*aby as it's smaller

That case is pretty overkill for what you are starting out with, its also £900. IF you want a Space Case maybe consider the 'dropout' case as its significantly cheaper and will look full when you get your first set of modules. Of course its your money, but I personally would get a smaller case (If I went eurorack it would be a ~2x84 HP case).

Regarding the MS-20 it won't work completely hand in hand with most modular hardware as it runs on a Hertz per voltage rather the traditional voltage per octave used in eurorack modules. You can run any external audio through its filters and modulate them with envelopes and the like but don't expect it to track pitch.

Harvestman is making a eurorack module to translate the MS-20 Hz/Volt to Volt/Octave and vice versa.

EDIT:

As I said earlier I plan on getting a dotcom modular first, these are the modules I plan on getting in my first order:

2 x VCO
2 x Envelope Generators
1 x Filter
1 x Mixer
1 x VCA
1 x Midi - CV converter
1 x Multiples
1 x Slew Limiter

and of course a case, power supply, and patch cords. All of which will total to $2,000 Canadian, including shipping (I have already got a quote from them).
the4thImpulse

Postby Acsii » 22 Apr 2013 19:37

Yea I kinda want a folding case like the Buchla case (and the Space Case is like this) and what I'll be doing is getting the starting stuff and then over time get more modules.
So here is what I will eventually get.
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby the4thImpulse » 22 Apr 2013 20:26

ΛCSII wrote:Yea I kinda want a folding case like the Buchla case (and the Space Case is like this) and what I'll be doing is getting the starting stuff and then over time get more modules.
So here is what I will eventually get.

Why so many Pittsburgh VCO's? I would get a couple of varying manufactures for experimenting.
the4thImpulse

Postby Acsii » 22 Apr 2013 20:53

Yea I'm still kinda changing around stuff that was more just as place fillers
Acsii

Previous

Return to Technique