Mastering needed! Recommendations?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Mastering needed! Recommendations?

Postby Cherax » 19 Apr 2013 10:03

Fingers crossed, this time next week, I'll be officially releasing an improved mix of Cupcake as a single, with two or three remixes to boot. I'm looking to get the whole thing mastered professionally (cf. my terrible brick-walling), but the ME who'd been recommended to me by a friend charges way above my pay grade...! I don't want to sacrifice quality, but I'm a bit strapped for cash right now.

So, to anyone who's had their stuff mastered - do you know where I can go (online) to get the single mastered, and mastered well, for a good price - ideally <$200 for 3-4 songs? Or perhaps you even offer mastering services of your own?
Cherax Destructor? I 'ardly know 'er!
Youtube - Soundcloud - Bandcamp - SLEIGHBELLS
Cherax

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: REVERB

Re: Mastering needed! Recommendations?

Postby the4thImpulse » 19 Apr 2013 10:06

As a certified Audio Engineer I can master your stuff for you, PM me if you're interested.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Bare Back » 19 Apr 2013 12:18

Just gonna repeat what The4thImpulse said but anyway, am a certified audio engineer as well. been mastering my mates shit for a while now, PM me if you're interested.
I do the music n that
https://soundcloud.com/bare-back
Bare Back

Postby JayB » 20 Apr 2013 04:41

the4thImpulse wrote:As a certified Audio Engineer I can master your stuff for you, PM me if you're interested.

This. :roll:
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Postby Cherax » 22 Apr 2013 06:59

First come, first served! I'm going with 4th on this one, but thanks for the offer Bare Back. :)
Cherax Destructor? I 'ardly know 'er!
Youtube - Soundcloud - Bandcamp - SLEIGHBELLS
Cherax

Cutie Mark: REVERB

Postby HMage » 22 Apr 2013 08:08

Nice to see fellow audio engineers coming in and helping ^.^
HMage

Postby the4thImpulse » 22 Apr 2013 08:21

HMage wrote:Nice to see fellow audio engineers coming in and helping ^.^

Nice to see who all here is a fellow engineer!
the4thImpulse

Postby froggy » 22 Apr 2013 10:52

Where would one get a certification exactly? I'm interested.
ponies are homo
froggy

Postby Alycs » 22 Apr 2013 12:53

I'm guessing a college, but who knows; maybe the internet
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby DJ Skrudge » 22 Apr 2013 16:53

In my state in Australia, you can get certificates or diplomas in audio engineering; I think they call it Music Industry though. I've browsed through the exams (you can potentially do these certificates as part of your high school education and gain credit to your end of year scores), and it mostly seems like basic knowledge about waveforms, as well as mixing and mastering. If you guys are interested in seeing how'd you fare, here are some official past exam papers: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/vet/pr ... hprod.aspx
I worship Fluttershy.
DJ Skrudge

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 22 Apr 2013 19:36

DJ Skrudge wrote:If you guys are interested in seeing how'd you fare, here are some official past exam papers: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/vet/pr ... hprod.aspx

Looking at the exam, I'm surprised that's all it takes to get certified. Does the "industry" actually take this very seriously at all? Or is it more of a nod that you're not a complete newbie with audio?
Captain Ironhelm

Postby the4thImpulse » 22 Apr 2013 20:06

Captain Ironhelm wrote:
DJ Skrudge wrote:If you guys are interested in seeing how'd you fare, here are some official past exam papers: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/vet/pr ... hprod.aspx

Looking at the exam, I'm surprised that's all it takes to get certified. Does the "industry" actually take this very seriously at all? Or is it more of a nod that you're not a complete newbie with audio?

More of a nod and a 'for the resume' type deal. My audio engineering prof had 15 years of experience before he got certified, and he did it just to say he's 'certified'.

Its a good thing to have none-the-less and even if you 'know all the answers' you still get guidance from presumably knowledgeable teachers with plenty of experience.
the4thImpulse

Postby DJ Skrudge » 22 Apr 2013 21:38

Considering that this is a course that can be actually taken as a high school subject, obviously the difficulty is scaled down (although I can't do parts of it despite that :P). Also, these exams are for a certificate only, the diploma is more difficult than this. That being said, one of my friends is doing this subject in high school at the moment, and it gives him a great opportunity to play around with hardware. Apparently in his class on compression a band came in and the students were given the opportunity to use compressors on the instruments to see firsthand how the band sounded with and without compression.
I worship Fluttershy.
DJ Skrudge

Postby Bare Back » 24 Apr 2013 10:28

I find that the overal necessity of a certificate and/or diploma within a course for the entertainment industry (e.g. music, acting) is quite pointless when it comes to getting a job, people don't care about a peice of paper that says you can do something they care about your skill and talent. The best aspect universities and colleges help you with is creating a portfolio using professional equipment.

p.s. its alright Cherax, after writing it I kinda realised it would be a first come first served situation :)
I do the music n that
https://soundcloud.com/bare-back
Bare Back

Return to Technique