Switching DAWs

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: Switching DAWs

Postby Raddons » 10 Apr 2013 18:47

itroitnyah wrote:Good thing you're skipping FL Studio. While FL is good, it fails miserably at some parts. Like, for example, if I put just a preset reverb in a mixer track that I want to use so that I can just route a track through the reverb, therefore making it so that if I want to apply reverb to multiple synths at the same time, I don't need to have 3 reverb units running at the same time. The catch is that when you route a track through another track, it sounds like you're highpassing the synth or drum, so if you route with a kick, it'll get really clicky and have next to no low end at all. That's the biggest problem with FL (although they do have "Insert" mixer tracks that I guess you could use, not quite sure whether they're the same for all synths or if they change based on what you put on them when you have a channel selected or something)

So yeah, Ableton or Cubase. I originally had Cubase in mind when I first started making music, but I failed at getting it, so I found LMMs, etc. Alex S. uses Cubase, last time I checked. Both are really good for everything, but just get Ableton, imo, because it has a few extra capabilities that will allow you to do more stuff when the time arrives, easier. Like doing live performances or whatever.

I have no clue what you're talking about. I just took 2 different supersaws layered, and exported one where they're both routed to a reverb and another where they're only routed to the master and the first one doesn't sound "clicky" or "highpassed" at all.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/842 ... ersaws.mp3

I know the OP already stressed a distaste for FL, but if anyone else thinks that the case I just want to show them that it's not.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 10 Apr 2013 19:35

eery wrote:What, no, that doesnt happen at all.

If I do understand you right, this is what you mean right? [x]
No, it's hard to explain. Example below.

Raddons wrote:I have no clue what you're talking about. I just took 2 different supersaws layered, and exported one where they're both routed to a reverb and another where they're only routed to the master and the first one doesn't sound "clicky" or "highpassed" at all.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/842 ... ersaws.mp3
Alright, so I opened a new file to try and provide an example, and the problem wasn't there suddenly. Strange, huh. So I opened up my WIP file and the problem does occur: Regard

Now, to understand what I did: Regard

I have the kick routed to Insert 20, which is blank, I assure you. I've already checked more than once. If there were something on it, I would have labeled it. You can see the automation clip where I automated the routing knob amount up to 100% (it goes up to 125% total, that's why the automation isn't at the top), and you can hear the difference. All those other tiny routing knobs that are turned down to zero aren't effecting the kick because they aren't letting any signal come through, they're just like that because I'm sidechaining the kick to those tracks using fruity limiter. Before you claim they're effecting the kick, they weren't effecting it before I turned up the routing to Insert 20, after turning on insert 20 the effect came into place, not before. If you have any more questions, shoot away.

But right now we're really turning off the rails of this thread. Ableton is totally the way to go.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 10 Apr 2013 20:03

I can vouch for Cubase being awesome, but go try demos of literally everything ever.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Dabrenn » 10 Apr 2013 20:08

I've sort of been gone from these forums for awhile, but I'm back for now and just popping in to say that I Love Ableton, although I've never used Cubase.

Ableton just has lots of little things that make its workflow clean, effective, and efficient. Experiment with it and see what you like. I thin Versailyran (SP?) from this forum did a beginner's tutorial on starting with Ableton.

Also, 4th knows his stuff.
Dabrenn

Postby Bare Back » 12 Apr 2013 21:54

I believe that the first DAW some-one uses is the one they will always stick by, cubase was the first one I used and even though i have used (and very much enjoy'd) other DAW's i will stick by cubase. reason is a good DAW and if your workflow is good within it then stick with it but if you wanna change because you feel like it doesn't offer as much as other DAW's you've heard off then like Lavender_Harmony said, get the demos (or torrent them if you do that kinda thing), watch some decent tutorials to get you started and see if you like them.

but overall mate DAW's all do the same thing, its just a program used to edit and arrange midi and audio... kinda like photoshop for sound :P
I do the music n that
https://soundcloud.com/bare-back
Bare Back

Previous

Return to Technique