List of production tips from the professionals

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

List of production tips from the professionals

Postby the4thImpulse » 10 Mar 2013 16:34

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guita ... ros-236311

Some of these tips are obvious, some you've heard before, and some aren't really at all helpful. However I am sure you will find a couple golden tips in the list, I know I did which is why I am posting it. There's a lot of opinions on the methods of producing, I don't agree with everything here but if it works for them it may work for you.
User avatar
the4thImpulse
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: 22 Feb 2012 17:10
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby Twy » 10 Mar 2013 17:17

Sweet. These sorts of things are always an interesting read. Thanks for posting!
User avatar
Twy
 
Posts: 107
Joined: 24 Aug 2012 10:46

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby itroitnyah » 10 Mar 2013 19:05

Yeah, a lot of these are just common sense or opinion. I just sorta skimmed through it.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
User avatar
itroitnyah
 
Posts: 2482
Joined: 02 Mar 2012 20:27
Location: Wisconsin
OS: Windows 7
Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby Random111223 » 10 Mar 2013 23:06

To get good sound off the master channel, use Image Line's Soundgoodizer

lol
User avatar
Random111223
 
Posts: 173
Joined: 10 Jan 2012 07:38

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby HMage » 10 Mar 2013 23:29

When in doubt, use saxophone.
User avatar
HMage
 
Posts: 346
Joined: 05 Nov 2011 11:44
Location: Moscow
OS: Mac OS X, Windows
Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby Stars In Autumn » 10 Mar 2013 23:46

Random111223 wrote:
To get good sound off the master channel, use Image Line's Soundgoodizer

lol

Apparently Serge Santiago trolled the interview guy.

Nice article.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
User avatar
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 471
Joined: 29 Jun 2011 18:38
Location: Colorado
OS: Windows
Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby PonE-Sharp » 12 Mar 2013 03:54

I'll admit, I fan-gasmed when I saw Sigur Ross in there. Though they weren't particularly helpful.

Stars In Autumn wrote:
Random111223 wrote:
To get good sound off the master channel, use Image Line's Soundgoodizer

lol

Apparently Serge Santiago trolled the interview guy.

Nice article.
What's wrong with the soundgoodizer...?
Find me here:

youtube.com/user/coltsuke
League of Legends: Zarfall (Or PrìncessCelestia. Both work apparently.)
Steam ID: Trentul
DeviantArt: Zarfall
User avatar
PonE-Sharp
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 13:10
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby Nine Volt » 12 Mar 2013 04:03

PonE-Sharp wrote:What's wrong with the soundgoodizer...?

It's seen as a cheap way of getting better sounds, as well as just sounding very bad and recognizable when overused. It's also highly frowned upon in some circles, and almost universally despised when used on the master track. But this is not the place for this discussion.

I skimmed through the article, saw a lot of tips that seemed like common sense. Still, not a bad find.
User avatar
Nine Volt
 
Posts: 3066
Joined: 23 Aug 2012 06:50

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby bartekko » 12 Mar 2013 04:22

Nine Volt wrote:
PonE-Sharp wrote:What's wrong with the soundgoodizer...?

It's seen as a cheap way of getting better sounds, as well as just sounding very bad and recognizable when overused. It's also highly frowned upon in some circles, and almost universally despised when used on the master track. But this is not the place for this discussion.

I skimmed through the article, saw a lot of tips that seemed like common sense. Still, not a bad find.


It's four Maximus presets with a dry/wet knob.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
User avatar
bartekko
 
Posts: 1034
Joined: 14 Jul 2011 09:14
Location: Poland

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby Nine Volt » 12 Mar 2013 04:32

bartekko wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:
PonE-Sharp wrote:What's wrong with the soundgoodizer...?

It's seen as a cheap way of getting better sounds, as well as just sounding very bad and recognizable when overused. It's also highly frowned upon in some circles, and almost universally despised when used on the master track. But this is not the place for this discussion.

I skimmed through the article, saw a lot of tips that seemed like common sense. Still, not a bad find.


It's four Maximus presets with a dry/wet knob.

I know. He asked what was seen as wrong with it, not what it was.
User avatar
Nine Volt
 
Posts: 3066
Joined: 23 Aug 2012 06:50

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby bartekko » 12 Mar 2013 12:06

Nine Volt wrote:
bartekko wrote:
It's four Maximus presets with a dry/wet knob.

I know. He asked what was seen as wrong with it, not what it was.

I also said what is wrong with it.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
User avatar
bartekko
 
Posts: 1034
Joined: 14 Jul 2011 09:14
Location: Poland

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby Nine Volt » 12 Mar 2013 12:37

bartekko wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:
bartekko wrote:
It's four Maximus presets with a dry/wet knob.

I know. He asked what was seen as wrong with it, not what it was.

I also said what is wrong with it.

Maximus is a perfectly fine plugin. I'm not discussing this anymore though, it's getting pointless
User avatar
Nine Volt
 
Posts: 3066
Joined: 23 Aug 2012 06:50

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby bartekko » 12 Mar 2013 13:48

Nine Volt wrote:
bartekko wrote:I also said what is wrong with it.

Maximus is a perfectly fine plugin. I'm not discussing this anymore though, it's getting pointless

yes it is getting pointless. My point was that it's presets with a dry/wet knob, but yeah discussion at this point makes no sense
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
User avatar
bartekko
 
Posts: 1034
Joined: 14 Jul 2011 09:14
Location: Poland

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby ph00tbag » 13 Mar 2013 01:01

It may seem strange working with a compressor on the master channel during the mix but you get a much better sound. It's hard to balance the sound if you mix then add compression later.

Oof.

What's really funny is that a lot of the advice given contradicts advice given from other dudes.
Image
User avatar
ph00tbag
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 769
Joined: 06 May 2012 16:19
Location: Cary, NC
OS: Windows
Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: List of production tips from the professionals

Postby HMage » 13 Mar 2013 09:45

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/a ... entate.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug09/a ... /armin.htm

Both articles are dated, but very good and useful info to be found there.
User avatar
HMage
 
Posts: 346
Joined: 05 Nov 2011 11:44
Location: Moscow
OS: Mac OS X, Windows
Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank


Return to Technique



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron