Echo? Multi-tap Delay? EQ? Help?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Echo? Multi-tap Delay? EQ? Help?

Postby IAmSwagg » 03 Mar 2013 15:41

So there's an effect I'm trying to add to one of my rap songs. I'm trying to get the last word in my line to repeat with about a sixteenth note pattern while increasing steadily in frequency then have the next line do the same thing except decrease in frequency (yeah, i know, it's kind of vague). It's supposed to be a kind of hip-hop/pop type digital effect, but I have no real clue where to start. I thought maybe a multi-tap delay would work, but I'm not sure how to configure it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IAmSwagg

Re: Echo? Multi-tap Delay? EQ? Help?

Postby itroitnyah » 03 Mar 2013 15:57

Just change the speed of the delay, or it might be labeled "time", you can slow that down or increase it. Some delay units have an option for a tempo based time or just an internal clock speed, you can do that, and then just automate the on/off button in your DAW's virtual mixer board so that you can control when the delay applies. As for the part with the fading/decreasing frequencies, just add an EQ with HP and automate the high pass to make its way up the frequency spectrum as the delay goes on.

Also, some delay units may not have an option for time/speed of the effect, or it may not be all that apparent as to how to do so (such as the presets are obvious changes in speed, but you can't figure out how because there isn't a button that says "speed or time"). If that's the case, your delay unit sucks. Go find a new delay effect plugin.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Technique