How to make Dubstep Music?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: How to make Dubstep Music?

Postby K3WRO » 27 Feb 2013 07:40

the4thImpulse wrote:Pirating do far more harm than good

it's not a matter of morals or lack of money or whatever excuse you make up, pirating software won't make you fully appreciate having the software which will result in you not spending time learning it, trust me.[/color]

And you will have even more value on some things if you actually worked to save all the money to buy equipment and program rather than having it as a Christmas present or whatever

anyway, welcome to the forums C0DEW0LF! hope you have a nice time here :P
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
K3WRO

Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Postby C0DEW0LF » 27 Feb 2013 10:38

froggy wrote:
froggy wrote:I think I'm gonna put together a big zip file of free resources (samples, plugins, PDFs, etc) for anyone who comes around asking how to make music in the future.

Yes/no?

File's finished, ended up too large for MediaFire so I put it on Google Drive

Download Link

Thanks so much!

the4thImpulse wrote:Youtube and google are your best friends when starting out (unless you really do have a best friend who can teach you music production). Use forums like this for specific questions like "how should I EQ my snares for dubstep?", if you don't understand that than give it time.

Also a big thing you should know:

Pirating do far more harm than good

it's not a matter of morals or lack of money or whatever excuse you make up, pirating software won't make you fully appreciate having the software which will result in you not spending time learning it, trust me.

So, in other words.. Buy the program so that you have something to loose (the money) if you slack off and that'll help keep me going. Yeah, I understand. The program is worth the money so I'm going to see if I can buy it.

Nine Volt wrote:Heh, yeah, I'd post a bunch of links but I'm on my phone...

So I ask again, are there any specific questions you have about dubstep?

Not at the moment, I'm pretty sure everything is covered in the links I've been given. However, If I come across anything I need help with I'll be sure to ask. :)

-----------------------

Thanks for the help and everything guys! I'm going to head on over to those links and start learning. I know it'll take awhile to be ready but I'm patient and dedicated to learning this. I'll be sure to come back and ask if I have any more questions (and specific questions) that aren't covered in the links. Thanks again you guys!
C0DEW0LF

Postby Pimps_McGee » 27 Feb 2013 16:34

If you're looking for an all-in-one inclusive "HOW DO DUBSTEP" then this is definitely your best bet http://www.dubstepforum.com/dubstep-production-tips-tutorials-resource-t159713.html. Seriously anything you would ever need is in there.

Also if you a bit hard on change I would definitely recommend looking into student discounts if you're in school. I was able to purchase Ableton Live 8 for about 40% off and with a free upgrade to Live 9, pretty amazing if you ask me.
Pimps_McGee

Postby Dabrenn » 27 Feb 2013 23:31

I'm really only going to say one thing here since everything else has been said; you're starting something big. You will not be making Omnivore or Alex S for years down the road. Making music is not easy, I'm not very good at it myself.

You're going to have to work; but hopefully you'll have fun with it (not always, writer's block happens to everyone) and come out a better producer and a better person.

That said, welcome! And I hope you enjoy your stay here :D

(Personal note here, I'd shy away from focusing on making one genre for a long time, specifically Dubstep. Start with House or something else that's a little easier, plus dubstep is dying.)
Dabrenn

Postby cplbradley » 28 Feb 2013 10:23

what type of dubstep were you thinking of making? any specific artists in mind? I consider myself skilled in dubstep, I've done it all, feel free to pm me with any questions or comments you may have, I'm happy to help
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby Dabrenn » 28 Feb 2013 20:26

@dabrenn.

The sound design for what they use is rather simple and can be demonstrated in just a couple of brief tutorials.

I'm sure i'll end up doing a tutorial showing exactly how to get the "omni style generic wubwubwub"
But that will have to wait for another day (although it's a terrible idea to show people how to make these sounds in the first place because then they'll just go on to make more generic dubstep, so in retrospect, I probably won't show how...)

Man Kyoga, you love to rip on EDM, yet I've never seen you produce an EDM track. You go around all the time saying how generic and easy it is to produce a "WUB WUB WUB" track that sounds awesome, seemling implying that Alex S. Omnivore, and even Skrillex are talentless producers riding mainstream bandwagons.

You are right, there are tons of tutorials on how to get big wubs with pirated software and how to make a crappy bootlegg Skrillex track, but I honestly think you severely underestimate the disconnect between big sounds and a track that is enjoyable, original, and fun to dance to.

And I agree, there are tons of generic dubstep producers out there who aren't super great at what they do (Alex S. really treads this line, I'm not a big fan of his stuff) and encouraging that is a bad thing. But I'm not really a fan of dubstep and I've really only made one dubsteppy type song and my goal was not to sound generic and it turned out alright, I don't think I've even posted it here. By the way, Omi's style is not very generic, he's actually got a fairly unique and interesting style and he's super young.

Anyways, I'd really like you to show us all your dubstep production skills before you run around ripping on the people who make it. Seriously, I'd love to hear it, not trying to come off super passive aggressive.
Dabrenn

Postby Nine Volt » 28 Feb 2013 20:49

Dabrenn wrote:
@dabrenn.

The sound design for what they use is rather simple and can be demonstrated in just a couple of brief tutorials.

I'm sure i'll end up doing a tutorial showing exactly how to get the "omni style generic wubwubwub"
But that will have to wait for another day (although it's a terrible idea to show people how to make these sounds in the first place because then they'll just go on to make more generic dubstep, so in retrospect, I probably won't show how...)

Man Kyoga, you love to rip on EDM, yet I've never seen you produce an EDM track. You go around all the time saying how generic and easy it is to produce a "WUB WUB WUB" track that sounds awesome, seemling implying that Alex S. Omnivore, and even Skrillex are talentless producers riding mainstream bandwagons.

You are right, there are tons of tutorials on how to get big wubs with pirated software and how to make a crappy bootlegg Skrillex track, but I honestly think you severely underestimate the disconnect between big sounds and a track that is enjoyable, original, and fun to dance to.

And I agree, there are tons of generic dubstep producers out there who aren't super great at what they do (Alex S. really treads this line, I'm not a big fan of his stuff) and encouraging that is a bad thing. But I'm not really a fan of dubstep and I've really only made one dubsteppy type song and my goal was not to sound generic and it turned out alright, I don't think I've even posted it here. By the way, Omi's style is not very generic, he's actually got a fairly unique and interesting style and he's super young.

Anyways, I'd really like you to show us all your dubstep production skills before you run around ripping on the people who make it. Seriously, I'd love to hear it, not trying to come off super passive aggressive.

Omni's 15 or 16, not super young.
Nine Volt

Postby Stakeout Punch » 28 Feb 2013 21:40

I'm 17, I wish I was at his level.
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
Stakeout Punch

Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Postby the4thImpulse » 28 Feb 2013 21:45

stakeout poni wrote:I'm 17, I wish I was at his level.

Aim higher kid, seriously, omnipony isn't much to look up too, not that he's bad or anything but there lots of room for improvement. I would also consider him super young at 15/16.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Dabrenn » 28 Feb 2013 22:07

I didn't realize I had joined a "Hate on the popular artists" thread.

As far as dubstep goes, I think Omni's stuff is pretty interesting, specifically Dragon Greed and My Little Changeling. I love those two songs. He's very good with his drums (Poni Robots) and that's something I value a ton when it comes to that sort of music.

I believe he just turned 15 a little while ago, when he first got popular he was only 14. That's pretty young for the level he is at.
Dabrenn

Postby Stakeout Punch » 28 Feb 2013 22:32

the4thImpulse wrote:
stakeout poni wrote:I'm 17, I wish I was at his level.

Aim higher kid, seriously, omnipony isn't much to look up too, not that he's bad or anything but there lots of room for improvement. I would also consider him super young at 15/16.

I will aim higher but I consider reaching his level a milestone at least.

My stuff is pretty bad, I think.
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
Stakeout Punch

Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Postby Makkon » 01 Mar 2013 01:14

MLR is not a place to express petty disdain for other artists' work or their character, especially when they are not here to defend themselves.
cplbradley, you have been issued an official warning.

Back on topic, or this thread will be closed.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Navron » 01 Mar 2013 19:39

Dubstep is not a particular thing you can study by watching tutorials on sound design. The entire range of, "bass music," consists of jazz, swing, glitch, techno, orchestral, and literally every other genre on the face of the earth.

You must have solid foundation across different genres of music, in addition to learning the theories and structures behind EDM, before delving into the more technical aspects of it.

In other words, you need to become a solid musician first, before you start focusing on intricate sound design.

In regards to sound design, dubstep has become such a trite genre, simply due to the fact most amateurs prefer to look up tutorials on getting, "Aweshum skrillz saunds!" instead of focusing on their own sound, ultimately leading to many drops that sound exactly the same.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby JSynth » 02 Mar 2013 09:42

Eyup, I have made this mistake myself.

This forum is best for more specific questions.

But its nice to see someone new.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Previous

Return to Technique