Bang For My Buck

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Bang For My Buck

Postby Symphon » 18 Feb 2013 16:47

Alright, I would normally not do this, but I'm extremely indecisive in the manner, so some help would be appreciated.

I recently received a $100 gift card for Amazon. I have about $40 extra to go along with that. Yes, I'm a poor high school student with no job and no source of money. Either way, I have about $140 to spend on some equipment.

Now, the question is... What do I buy with it? It's obviously not a lot and I can't buy any high-end equipment with it, but I'd like to get -something- with it. Now, of course, your question is, what do I WANT to buy with it?

Well, let's see. I'm getting some speakers with my new computer, but I'm not sure how good they are since I haven't gotten them yet, so possibly some new speakers.
My headphones aren't the best, but again, some new ones are coming with the computer, so possibly headphones.
I have no amps that I own for my guitars, so that'd be nice, although I'm not sure how good of an amp I could get for that much.
Hell, I could buy a second monitor for my new computer if I really wanted.
I'm itching for a Novation Launchpad, but I feel like I might save up for an Akai, not sure.
An actually good MIDI keyboard would be nice.

WHAT DO I BUY?LDJFLADJFASJDF;
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Trance

Re: Bang For My Buck

Postby itroitnyah » 18 Feb 2013 17:20

Just hold onto the money, would be my opinion. Hold onto it until you can afford something good. Unless the gift card expires in a set amount of time. In which case I'd go for a midi keyboard that isn't expensive but has some of the knobs and stuff so that you can do some live notes and control of synth while you're doing these things to get better test results or something.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 18 Feb 2013 19:11

itroitnyah wrote:Just hold onto the money, would be my opinion. Hold onto it until you can afford something good. Unless the gift card expires in a set amount of time. In which case I'd go for a midi keyboard that isn't expensive but has some of the knobs and stuff so that you can do some live notes and control of synth while you're doing these things to get better test results or something.

Gotta agree, saving up will definitely be better for you in the long run.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Navron » 18 Feb 2013 19:34

It depends on what you want to do as a musician:

Are you wanting to be a guitar or bassist in a live band? Go for an amp.

Are you planning on just recording guitar into your computer? Why buy an amp when instruments like Guitar Rig give you a huge range of amp and cabinet simulators?

Do you plan on doing electronic music? A midi-keyboard would be best. Why buy a launch pad first? Unless you plan on utilizing the piano roll. Better yet, get a midi-keyboard that has touch pads and knobs to get the best out of both worlds.

See where I'm going with this?

You have many wants, but you're overlooking many basic needs, such as a pre-amp/external sound controller. Do you have a means of recording your guitar into your computer yet? If not, why worry about a good set of speakers or launch pad when you can't even record yourself?
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Symphon » 18 Feb 2013 19:40

Navron wrote:It depends on what you want to do as a musician:

Are you wanting to be a guitar or bassist in a live band? Go for an amp.

Are you planning on just recording guitar into your computer? Why buy an amp when instruments like Guitar Rig give you a huge range of amp and cabinet simulators?

Do you plan on doing electronic music? A midi-keyboard would be best. Why buy a launch pad first? Unless you plan on utilizing the piano roll. Better yet, get a midi-keyboard that has touch pads and knobs to get the best out of both worlds.

See where I'm going with this?

You have many wants, but you're overlooking many basic needs, such as a pre-amp/external sound controller. Do you have a means of recording your guitar into your computer yet? If not, why worry about a good set of speakers or launch pad when you can't even record yourself?

I probably won't go for an amp due to me not playing in a band, but it'd be nice.

You have a point there.

I already have a MIDI keyboard, it just isn't a good one.

And I wanted a Launchpad because I already have a bunch of loops, shots, and stuff of the sort, but a Launchpad is always nice to have because it's so much easier.

I get what you mean, but I've thought most of it through. I already make electronic music, which is why I'm considering the speaker or headphones. I already have the basic needs.

But yeah, I think I might just save up, although I still have no clue what I'm going to get when I do get a bit more money.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Cutie Mark: Trance

Return to Technique