Bass drops

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Bass drops

Postby Ocular » 14 Feb 2013 09:19

This is just a simple question. Bass drops in songs by Blaze and other similar artists are really crazy and sound like there are multiple different bass sounds. Do people just use bass samples or do they load up Massive 10 times and use a different preset in each one? I'm confuzzled.
inactive
Ocular

Re: Bass drops

Postby Symphon » 14 Feb 2013 09:40

TheOcularInvisible wrote:This is just a simple question. Bass drops in songs by Blaze and other similar artists are really crazy and sound like there are multiple different bass sounds. Do people just use bass samples or do they load up Massive 10 times and use a different preset in each one? I'm confuzzled.

It really varies, from my experience. Some artists I know just load up Massive a bunch of times and do it like that. Some of them use a bunch of different VSTs other than Massive to get really varied sounds. Others use loops and samples. It really depends on what you prefer.

But yeah, they just a lot of different things.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby cplbradley » 14 Feb 2013 11:34

Usually if the sound is the same it's massive with a performer instead of an LFO. If the sounds are different it's multiple instances of the plugin with different sounds
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby Nine Volt » 14 Feb 2013 13:49

Multiple Massives. Or, you know, almost any other synthesizer in existence. I haven't heard any of Blaze's songs but I'd be willing to bet he also uses an FM synth as well.

Another thing you could do would be to automate a lot of parameters on only a few Massives
Nine Volt

Postby Conduit » 14 Feb 2013 13:50

TheOcularInvisible wrote:do they load up Massive 10 times and use a different preset in each one?

First off, I can guarantee that no well known dubstep artists use presets for their drops. Making your own patches is what gives each artist a unique style. As for your actual question, yes people use a ton of different patches for drops, it's one of the reasons I'm so awful at the genre, I cant get the balance between the different patches to sound right, and create a rhythm.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Ocular » 14 Feb 2013 14:02

Flatflish wrote:
TheOcularInvisible wrote:do they load up Massive 10 times and use a different preset in each one?

First off, I can guarantee that no well known dubstep artists use presets for their drops. Making your own patches is what gives each artist a unique style. As for your actual question, yes people use a ton of different patches for drops, it's one of the reasons I'm so awful at the genre, I cant get the balance between the different patches to sound right, and create a rhythm.

I understand that, I make my own patches too, but I can never get them to sound good together.
inactive
Ocular

Postby Genkar » 14 Feb 2013 15:27

I know whenever I try to make a drop, I end up having like 9001 channels (most of which are massive), so I assume it's the same way for other people.
Percussionist - Electronic Musician In Training
Soundcloud/Youtube/Tumblr
Genkar

Postby itroitnyah » 14 Feb 2013 15:32

TheOcularInvisible wrote:I understand that, I make my own patches too, but I can never get them to sound good together.
Just right click + clone, modify the envelopes or LFOs, problem solved.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Genkar » 14 Feb 2013 15:40

itroitnyah wrote:
TheOcularInvisible wrote:I understand that, I make my own patches too, but I can never get them to sound good together.
Just right click + clone, modify the envelopes or LFOs, problem solved.

This. I do this all the time now, and if you're having trouble with stuff sounding too alike, just change one of the wavetables. Just by experimenting and tweaking some patches a little bit here and there, you can get some pretty interesting sounds that fit together really well.
Percussionist - Electronic Musician In Training
Soundcloud/Youtube/Tumblr
Genkar

Postby Sonarch » 14 Feb 2013 18:24

Not that I have any experience with making stuff, but I feel like you could make a pretty cool bass drop without using an excessive number of different patches. Except I don't actually know...
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Counterwise » 15 Feb 2013 00:33

Well you could always automate a patch to make it sound different, but generally, I just have plenty of Massives open and use a shiteload of patches to make my bass drops. Having lots of patches can sometimes make it so that the drop doesn't get boring or stale too quickly. Using sampled bass sounds here and there can work well also, though overusing them can be a problem.

Though bass drops can actually work exceptionally well with only a few patches if you know how to sequence well enough. Take "I'm On Fire" by Porter Robinson for example. For a song that has a bass drop, that doesn't actually have that many different patches, most of the variation comes from placing the notes correctly and plenty of pitch bending.
DAW: FL Studio 10
VST's: Massive, Sylenth1, 3x Osc, Sytrus, Harmless
Genres: Electro House, Complextro

Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Counterwise

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 15 Feb 2013 09:33

Nine Volt wrote:Multiple Massives. Or, you know, almost any other synthesizer in existence. I haven't heard any of Blaze's songs but I'd be willing to bet he also uses an FM synth as well.

Another thing you could do would be to automate a lot of parameters on only a few Massives

Nah, Blaze just uses Massive.

Not sure what the question is. Yeah, multiple sounds are going to come out of multiple synths. :P
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Return to Technique