how to record

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

how to record

Postby ThePsychedelicBrony » 11 Feb 2013 08:10

I'm trying to make music with my acoustic guitar and I'm new to recording is the a good way to record with a acoustic.
ThePsychedelicBrony

Re: how to record

Postby Raddons » 11 Feb 2013 08:24

A microphone seems like a good way to record.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 11 Feb 2013 08:28

Buy a dynamic microphone and set it up with Audacity or Edison, or some other recording software. That's just the basics. I could go into getting the acoustics of your room right as well, but I'll assume you're on a budget.

Go into further detail. Do you have a microphone? Do you have any other hardware that may be required? (Some microphones require an XLR connection, but most condenser mic's I've seen are USB) Do you have software that has recording from an external source/microphone capabilities? Which part are you getting confused on?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 11 Feb 2013 10:48

Some more details of what you already have would be nice, and what kind of acoustic guitar it is, as in if it's fully acoustic, or it's an acoustic/electric with a piezo pickup.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby senntenial » 11 Feb 2013 14:37

Some basic rules I've read about are
-use a condenser mic
-place the mic a sufficient distance from your instrument (the general rule is place it 2x the length of your instrument away, but I think it depends on how much reverb you want or what kind of space you are in)
-don't sample from the soundhole, but around the 12th fret. Moving towards the soundhole gives more body but no definition. Moving farther up the neck gives more definition but no body.

I haven't tested these yet myself, but they at least seem logical haha. good luck
Cloud wrote:A microphone seems like a good way to record.

thanks
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby Raddons » 11 Feb 2013 15:49

senntenial wrote:thanks

Well when you ask an extremely vague question that's the kind of response you get.

Your post was pretty good though. Each guitar has its own sweet spot and its up to preference where you want to pic it anyway. I've found that most guitars sound best (regarding you can't do a stereo pair) mic'd about 1-2 feet away facing the bridge. That's where I start looking for the sweet spot of the instrument anyway.
Raddons

Postby ThePsychedelicBrony » 12 Feb 2013 17:41

well heres what i got. i have mixcraft6,a fender acoustic/electric guitar, a c-1u behringer mic. thats about all i have
ThePsychedelicBrony

Postby itroitnyah » 12 Feb 2013 20:42

idk, sounds fine to me. Just hit the record button on whatever recording software you have (if you don't have any, get Audacity), and play what you want. You'll get a basic recording. If you want really good quality you'd need to spend lots on some acoustic panels and a better mic, but what you've got now is fine.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby ThePsychedelicBrony » 12 Feb 2013 20:55

Thanks man will do that
ThePsychedelicBrony

Postby Nine Volt » 14 Feb 2013 19:37

Nine Volt

Postby Forza SoundFire » 14 Feb 2013 20:22

It all depends on the sound you want~
Here's some things to try;
Use a condenser mic placed 4-6 inches pointing just above the sound-hole. Generally use a cardioid pattern unless you want more room ambience (if it sounds good - I'm guessing it wont, though!) You can rotate the mic to point up or down the neck to change the frequency response (see your mic polar pattern/frequency chart), keeping in mind whichever way you point it, you'll pick up more of what you're pointing it at (fret/strumming noise).
Don't put you mic too close, you end up getting what is called the "bass-tip", where the sound is just boomy and unpleasant!

A technique I've been taught by Tonmeisters, is to place the mic by the right ear of the guitar player, pointing down at the guitar. I tend to use this technique as I think it sounds more natural.

If you've got 2 mics, definitely explore stereo recording techniques. I think there's a Wiki page to get you started.

http://youtube.com/user/forzacomposition
Contact [email protected] for;
Original Music
Sound Design/FX
Instrumental Recording (Violin, Viola, Drums, Tuned and Untuned Percussion)
Forza SoundFire

Postby ThePsychedelicBrony » 17 Feb 2013 16:17

well with all this being said heres what i made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYKLmSX5NO4
ThePsychedelicBrony

Return to Technique