Sudden FL mastering issues

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Sudden FL mastering issues

Postby Matthew N. » 04 Feb 2013 15:12

Hello,

So I have finally finished my old project and I started mastering it. I got the sound I was looking for and after rendering, it came out exactly the same as the original file. This is the first time this occurred.

- .wav imported into the playlist
- mastering plugins on the master channel

The track does sound different in FL, but that's about it.
Matthew N.

Re: Sudden FL mastering issues

Postby itroitnyah » 04 Feb 2013 15:40

So the problem is that the track sounds different after you import it back into FL? I've never had this problem before, but I've heard of others having this problem before.

-If you've linked the import to an open slot in the mixer, try unrouting the tracking through everything, leaving it just routed to the master track. For some reason the mixer will increase the high ends of a sample/sound if you route it through too many tracks.

-Go to the channel settings and look at the "Time Stretch" section under the "SMP" tab. Change the mode it's in to various modes, and find the one that makes it sound normal or as close to normal as possible. If none of them make it sound 100% normal, choose the one that's closest and mess around with the other knobs in the "Time Stretch" settings.

-Go back into the song project and open up Edison on the master track. Click "Record" on Edison, and click "Play" on the song project. That will record the song into Edison where you can directly save it as a .wav file (and the quality will be ~2200+kbps to boot). Try importing it after you've done that.

-Did you use an "Audio Clip" plugin to import the .wav file? Or a sampler? Try going to "CHANNELS > Add one > Audio Clip" and loading the .wav file into that if you haven't already.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Matthew N. » 04 Feb 2013 16:00

No no no. It doesn't sound different as it should after rendering; after adding mastering plugins that affect it in FL, but not post-render.
Matthew N.

Postby itroitnyah » 04 Feb 2013 16:07

Try clicking on the little green light/dot next to each plugin name on the master channel to disable the plugin.
itroitnyah

Postby Matthew N. » 04 Feb 2013 16:57

itroitnyah wrote:Try clicking on the little green light/dot next to each plugin name on the master channel to disable the plugin.

But... I want to do the opposite. The changes the plugins make in FL are not exported in the final .wav.
Matthew N.

Postby itroitnyah » 04 Feb 2013 17:57

Oh, so when you export the finished piece after all the mastering effects have been applied, it doesn't come out mastered? It just sounds like it did before applying mastering?

Hm, I'd go with my earlier idea, to open up Edison and start recording, and then press play on the project to record it into Edison. Then just cut off the parts you don't need like the silence at the start and end, and save it as a .wav file. See if that works.
itroitnyah

Postby Dr. Plague » 05 Feb 2013 16:11

itroitnyah wrote:Hm, I'd go with my earlier idea, to open up Edison and start recording, and then press play on the project to record it into Edison. Then just cut off the parts you don't need like the silence at the start and end, and save it as a .wav file. See if that works.

Does an Edison recording come out with full quality, though? (Not asking sarcastically, I'm legitimately curious for myself.)
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Genres of choice: basically just EDM
Strengths: Compressing the shit out of already compressed stuff
Weaknesses: All that other stuff you do in music
Dr. Plague

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: I'm human, not a pony

Postby itroitnyah » 05 Feb 2013 17:05

Dr. Plague wrote:Does an Edison recording come out with full quality, though? (Not asking sarcastically, I'm legitimately curious for myself.)
Yeah, it does. I've had problems in the past where I'd export and it wouldn't come out as good at it does in the project file and Edison fixes them. Plus when you save it as a .wav in Edison, the quality is something around 2000+ kbps, can't remember exactly, but it's definitely quality.
itroitnyah

Postby Matthew N. » 06 Feb 2013 03:22

If it's not 2822 FPC, it means it 'nerfs' the quality of my initial input .wav. I don't know... this shouldn't be happening.
Matthew N.

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Feb 2013 06:32

Yeah, you're right. It shouldn't be happening. But we still don't know if you've tried recording it into Edison and saving it as a .wav. Unless you just said you did I can't understand, lol
itroitnyah

Postby X-Trav » 06 Feb 2013 08:45

What exactly sounds different?

If you playback the "mastered" file in a blank fl studio project does it still sound strange?
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Matthew N. » 06 Feb 2013 10:30

X-Trav wrote:What exactly sounds different?

If you playback the "mastered" file in a blank fl studio project does it still sound strange?

I haven't said anything sounds strange. The seemingly mastered file sounds exactly the same as the original file. And no, I haven't tried recording with edison; the project is already hogging my CPU to the max (w/ smart disable), that could just crash FL. And since I have smart disable ON, it means Edison wouldn't record the actual track the way it's supposed to be.
Matthew N.

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Feb 2013 16:37

Oh, ok. Well. Does the track sound different mastered than unmastered? If it's a significant difference, then I'm out of ideas, but if it isn't an incredibly noticeable difference, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're that concerned, you could send the project file over to me and I could try rendering it and send it back... Or somebody else on here would be willing to as well.
itroitnyah

Postby Forza SoundFire » 07 Feb 2013 01:35

hmm... I remember having a similar issue with Logic Pro 9... Can't remember the fix, though!

I'd check the obvious things like the outputs you're sending things to, make sure plug-ins are enabled (and have correct audio settings) in your bounce-down settings, check your audio track settings and your project sample rate etc, etc...

http://youtube.com/user/forzacomposition
Contact [email protected] for;
Original Music
Sound Design/FX
Instrumental Recording (Violin, Viola, Drums, Tuned and Untuned Percussion)
Forza SoundFire

Return to Technique