Difficulties with ASIO4ALL driver

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Difficulties with ASIO4ALL driver

Postby Mister Tulip » 04 Feb 2013 13:07

I've been having some trouble configuring my ASIO4ALL driver. While it's not a huge emergency right now, since I don't plan to do any vocal stuff, I'm still kind of interested in getting it to work, just on principle.

The basic issue is pretty simple, but still very annoying: It fights with the RealTek driver which normally controls my speakers. If I go into the control panel and disable the speakers, it can reach them, and then it works fine, but nothing else on the computer can't play sound. If I don't, ASIO4ALL won't output any sound because it thinks another application is using the speakers. I can't find any way to let them share the speakers. Is there one, or is it a lost cause?

Screenshot to aid in comprehension:
Also, sort-of-but-not-really off-topic, how do I subscribe to threads here? The FAQ says there should be a button, but I can't find it. Is the FAQ outdated, or am I just failing a spot check?
Zarfot wrote:*This post intentionally left blank, although the the presence of this sentence means that this isn't true, good fight*
Mister Tulip

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Difficulties with ASIO4ALL driver

Postby WoodenToaster » 04 Feb 2013 13:30

That's just the way Asio4All works I'm afraid, you can only have one or the other, if you want other programs to share the speakers you'll need to grab an audio interface.
WoodenToaster

Postby Ocular » 04 Feb 2013 13:35

WoodenToaster wrote:That's just the way Asio4All works I'm afraid, you can only have one or the other, if you want other programs to share the speakers you'll need to grab an audio interface.

I know, it makes me so mad >.<
I always use my primary sound driver. Even though it isn't the best option, I can hear sounds from other programs as well.
inactive
Ocular

Postby Mister Tulip » 04 Feb 2013 14:39

WoodenToaster wrote:That's just the way Asio4All works I'm afraid, you can only have one or the other, if you want other programs to share the speakers you'll need to grab an audio interface.
Oh. That's kind of annoying. Honestly, though, I don't really care too much about other programs in most cases. I'm just too lazy to want to go through the trouble of turning off my speakers whenever I want to record in FL Studio. :roll:

Is there any disadvantage to just doing all of my recording in Audacity, exporting it as WAV, and then opening it in FL Studio? Because if not, that's probably going to be what I do, just to save the trouble.
Zarfot wrote:*This post intentionally left blank, although the the presence of this sentence means that this isn't true, good fight*
Mister Tulip

Postby FlyingNinjaBannanas » 04 Feb 2013 16:34

This problem has been bugging me for quite some time. Though looking around, Steinberg made a multi-client driver awhile back that could solve this issue. I have yet to try it, but it seems to work.

http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=101066
[Insert pointless filler here]
FlyingNinjaBannanas

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Jack of All Trades

Postby Mister Tulip » 04 Feb 2013 18:35

FlyingNinjaBannanas wrote:This problem has been bugging me for quite some time. Though looking around, Steinberg made a multi-client driver awhile back that could solve this issue. I have yet to try it, but it seems to work.

http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=101066
I tried it out. It looks like it works for its job of letting you use ASIO drivers in multiple hosts at once, but it doesn't solve the issue of the ASIO drivers not sharing the speakers with my default drivers.
Mister Tulip

Postby PhonyBrony » 04 Feb 2013 20:16

If you're using Fl Studios, there's an option in the Audio tab of your settings config that says "Auto close device" next to the driver selection. Selecting that allows you to temporarily disable Asio4all when you tab out of Fl Studios to another program (I think) but it may cause issues when you try to tab back in, depending on what you're doing.

the Phony Brony
PhonyBrony

Postby Navron » 05 Feb 2013 10:47

Skype and TeamSpeak are 2 applications I've found that hog my ASIO output whenever I boot up Cubase, so I usually have to disable my speakers once in Cubase, enable the speakers through the ASIO control panel, and then enable my speakers.

That's just the way ASIO works though, with only one application using it. Whenever I have to enable my computer speakers while still having Cubase up I select my main sound driver in Cubase, and then reselect ASIO when I want to go back to recording.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Return to Technique