Basic Mixing/Mastering help?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Basic Mixing/Mastering help?

Postby nOk » 04 Feb 2013 10:04

Look. I suck at this whooole process. I recently got iZotope Ozone, but I usually choose a preset that sounds decent, and have no idea what I'm doing. Does anyone have any tips on the process in general/ what to do and not do?
nOk

Primary: FL 11
Cutie Mark: A better username

Re: Basic Mixing/Mastering help?

Postby the4thImpulse » 04 Feb 2013 10:08

This is the first of a series on ozone, they taught me ozone pretty well.

Also try google searching or youtube searching, doing the research yourself will be far more beneficial to you.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby nOk » 04 Feb 2013 11:40

Thanks! Maybe I won't suck as much atthis anymore...
nOk

Primary: FL 11
Cutie Mark: A better username

Postby froggy » 04 Feb 2013 12:06

Mastering is incredibly overrated, you really shouldn't be worrying about it at this point (especially not before your song is completely mixed). If your mix is good to begin with, the only thing you should need on your master bus is a limiter to bring it up to 0db. The good news is that while Ozone is intended to be used for mastering, it's just as capable for mixing if used right (though the CPU usage is super high). Check out iZotope Alloy 2 if you want something like Ozone for every channel, it's basically the same thing but with far less CPU usage and an added transient shaper/de-esser.

As for mixing, I'm don't feel experienced enough to give advice so I'll leave that up to someone like Lavender. However, here's a few things you may find useful:

Instrument Frequency Chart
Nick Thomas Guide to Mixing (very comprehensive)

and as long as you have Ozone

iZotope Guide to Mastering With Ozone
ponies are homo
froggy

Postby the4thImpulse » 04 Feb 2013 14:13

nOk wrote:Thanks! Maybe I won't suck as much atthis anymore...

For mixing check out the frequency chart I have inked in my signature below, it a combination of a bunch of frequency charts and will likely be the most detailed one all in one spot.

Like groggy said, mastering shouldn't be a big deal early on in your career. Focusing on creating the actual music efficiently and too your exact liking should be you main focus, once you like the sounds and melodies you make then work on mixing the elements together to a sience. During the creative process you will be mixing to some extent so don't expect to regimate your life perfectly. Mastering is the final process, preparing the "master" bus for a final export. Usually there wil be an EQ and dynamics processing here, not much else ( unless like me you use mastering as a bit of a creative part of your track making).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby itroitnyah » 04 Feb 2013 15:58

Behold, the mixing bible. Really good and stuff. Read it if you haven't.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Return to Technique