<Orchestral> Producers - do you play any instruments?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

<Orchestral> Producers - do you play any instruments?

Postby v.lossity » 03 Feb 2013 19:43

I am producing my first orchestral track right now, and it is so much more difficult than I ever thought it would be. While coming up with some harmonies and figuring out voicings I started pulling on my experience as a viola player and I was wondering -for all you orchestra producers out there- Do you play any instruments? Does it affect how you write for that type of instrument or how you work in general?
v.lossity

Re: <Orchestral> Producers - do you play any instruments?

Postby itroitnyah » 03 Feb 2013 20:02

Playing an instrument has an incredibly visible effect on every genre, not just orchestral. It can help when composing pieces because you know how the scales work and are and it gives you some experience with pitches and instrument timbres. I personally played the piano for quite some years when I was younger, about 6 years I think, but then I stopped. Even with the however many years gap between my playing and my producing, I hypothesize that I'm doing better off at composing than others without instrument experience are.

But I find it silly that people would think it would make you better at digitally playing an instrument if you also play the instrument in real life. I don't notice a difference in composition between my melodies and rhythms whether I'm using FL Keys or any various synthesizers.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Alycs » 03 Feb 2013 20:41

While I don't produce much in the line of Orchestral, I find that playing an instrument does help quite a lot. Even if you do know theory (somehow) without ever playing an instrument, having played it in real life rather than just seeing it on a computer lets you visualize various ideas easier than just guessing.

On the other hand, digital and acoustic instruments are so different that it would be like saying, "Hey, you play the piano, I bet you're a great oboe player!" While already knowing an instrument does help with learning curves and basic composition, once you've done either long enough, the similarities start fading into the background.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Callenby » 03 Feb 2013 21:00

Growing up I played the piano (and violin for one year) but am now a cellist, which is still pretty good for composing because of the cello's range. Piano is so standard for composers to learn that even if you don't want to be a pianist I'd still recommend having at least basic familiarity with it.

I cannot stress enough how helpful it is to be proficient at an instrument if you want to write music. Any instrument is better than nothing, I'd say. The better you are at it the more expressive and virtuosic you are able to write (for that instrument, at the very least). On top of that it gives you a sense of what is actually possible for a human being to perform, which might be easy to forget if all you work with are samples. That's especially important if you are aiming to work with real orchestras some day.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby Forza SoundFire » 03 Feb 2013 21:06

I too am a viola player! Most the instruments I have ever played to a high(ish) level have been mid/low range instruments, save the violin and flute.
This makes my composition technique very focused on harmony. I absolutely embrace that my melodic writing is weak and needs some loving. ^^

One thing that I took far too long to figure out; is not to make it too complicated. I tried writing individual parts for each instrument! It's a mess!
In music at some of it's most complex (this is not a hard and fast rule), there tends to be only 3 or 4 different things going on at the same time~ Melody & Harmonies, Accompaniment and Musical effects (like untuned percussion or semi harmonic features like trills and runs)

Drop me an email if you want some help

http://youtube.com/user/forzacomposition
Contact [email protected] for;
Original Music
Sound Design/FX
Instrumental Recording (Violin, Viola, Drums, Tuned and Untuned Percussion)
Forza SoundFire

Postby Omnomnomnom » 03 Feb 2013 21:21

Of course! Playing fretted or keyboarded instruments helps the most (especially with theory), and knowing the traits of any instrument helps greatly in writing a good piece for it.

For example, I am a clarinetist. I know how difficult it is to jump between the chalumeau, clarino, and altissimo, and how throat tones affect the timbre of the instrument, so my writing will always compensate for it. This applies to any instrument; the more of them you know, the better, when you're writing for such instruments.
Don't make your clarinetists beg for mercy when it comes time to mic them up & record! :P

Furthermore, guitarists and pianists (or players of similar instruments) will always be more musically experienced than fools playing with little midi values on a screen. The musical literacy you get from playing real instruments is priceless when writing. Personally, when I write, it is always helpful to relate my music back to my real instruments- the second nature you receive from them speeds up the creative process amazingly.
I'm always half-asleep, and I hate dubstep.
Also, you know that other, way more awesome Nomnom guy who shows up on EQD sometimes? THAT PERSON IS NOT ME.
We just happen to have similar pseudonyms.
Omnomnomnom

Postby v.lossity » 03 Feb 2013 21:43

@itroitnyah Well Im not so sure. For example when I opened up my first strings plugin and started composing melodies and stuff, it was very intuitive for me, but when I started with brass which I have next to no experience with, it was much more difficult to figure out what sounded good, what were common uses for brass, how they are used, etc, etc. Plus, having played viola, I know many different timbres that can come out of strings. There are many more than just pizzacato, staccato, legato, sordino, and spicatto! Up-bows sound different from down-bows, the tip of the bow sounds different than the bottom, etc etc etc.

@Forza Soundfire Viola power! I have noticed I spend a lot more time trying to make interesting harmonies for violas and other middle voices, even if they end up blending into indistinctness
v.lossity

Postby vladnuke » 03 Feb 2013 22:15

I play guitar and piano. Shit helps when it comes down to writing music. I think about how I would play something. Also helps with velocity mapping.

If I feel like something needs swing, I'll just record the midi rather than plodding it out, and then not quantize it. It sounds a lot better than perfect midi notes.
vladnuke

Postby Conduit » 03 Feb 2013 22:24

I've played guitar for 4 years, and cello and piano for a year.

I would say it helps.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby PonE-Sharp » 04 Feb 2013 19:00

I play piano. only other instrument I'm interested in learning is guitar, and that's just for non-orchestral compositions.
Find me here:

youtube.com/user/coltsuke
League of Legends: Zarfall (Or PrìncessCelestia. Both work apparently.)
Steam ID: Trentul
DeviantArt: Zarfall
PonE-Sharp

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 04 Feb 2013 19:29

I play piano, guitar, bass, and drums. I came from a rock background before I tried orchestral x3
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby SticktheFigure » 04 Feb 2013 21:12

I play piano. I can't write a song without piano in it.
Rather, I could but choose not to.
I also "play" the guitar. (I play chords. No fingerpicking or Bach playing upon it.)
I make sure that when I write it into a song that it is actually possible to strum and sustain what notes are sustained together.
Spoiler woof:
Jokeblue wrote:the avatar of one of the guys who donated pretty much sums up how this is going
Keyboard: Yamaha Sy22 DAW: FLStudio 10 VST: Massive, Zeta+ 2
SticktheFigure

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Piano

Postby Pimps_McGee » 04 Feb 2013 22:04

I don't compose orchestral but I have played Tuba and Euphonium combined for a total of seven years now (I also have a fair amount of knowledge about guitar, trumpet, and piano, but those three are far from the former). I do believe playing an instrument will definitely change how you compose a song.

For example, there is nothing I hate more than being a tuba player and having to play one, single, tied whole-note repeatedly for about a hundred measures. From such traumatic experiences I tend to write the bass line of a song to be more exciting then most. I feel almost a brotherhood with bass and tenor voices large in part caused by playing them so often.
Pimps_McGee

Postby FIMprov » 07 Feb 2013 14:02

v.lossity wrote:@itroitnyah Well Im not so sure. For example when I opened up my first strings plugin and started composing melodies and stuff, it was very intuitive for me, but when I started with brass which I have next to no experience with, it was much more difficult to figure out what sounded good, what were common uses for brass, how they are used, etc, etc. Plus, having played viola, I know many different timbres that can come out of strings. There are many more than just pizzacato, staccato, legato, sordino, and spicatto! Up-bows sound different from down-bows, the tip of the bow sounds different than the bottom, etc etc etc.

@Forza Soundfire Viola power! I have noticed I spend a lot more time trying to make interesting harmonies for violas and other middle voices, even if they end up blending into indistinctness

I'm going to talk about both of these comments and then some. Fair warning.

First up, you know next to nothing about brass, I gather. One way to get an idea for what sounds good on brass (and I have played trombone mixed with tuba and euphonium for 8 years, so I would know) is to listen to some classical music. You may want to start off listening to solos performed by each instrument to get an idea of what each is capable of. From there you can try brass ensembles (the quintet or sextet seems to be the most popular, being comprised of tuba, trombone, euphonium, horn, and trumpet--a nice blend) to hear how parts tend to interact. Then from there full-blown classical masterpieces. Listen to how the brass works in the context of an entire orchestra. I would consider the ensembles to be an optional step, but you really should get an idea of 1) what each instrument is capable of and 2) how they fit into an orchestra sound.

And concerning your second point: I have noticed in every musician I have ever seen that people tend to favor the first instrument/instrument family that they learned when composing (and conducting, for that matter, when live performers are involved). This can be a bad thing, as you yourself have pointed out. Though when done properly, this can lead to a unique sound and is part of what sets you apart from other producers and composers.

And one last point I'd like to make: I have played piano for over 10 years now, and it definitely has helped me immensely in everything musical that I've ever done. Playing trombone in the school band for 8 years has also taught me a great many things about how a group should sound, including orchestras.

On that note, let me segue a bit here: if you are going to produce orchestral music, people like me will expect you to use the full orchestra sound. I do apologize in advance for sounding a bit elitist here, but this is the honest truth. Nothing annoys me more than people producing orchestral music who obviously have no idea how to write for an orchestra. I've heard too many songs that outright ignore an entire instrument group. As much as I love the song "The Wicked End" by Avenged Sevenfold, the orchestral interlude bugs the living crap out of me because there's zero woodwinds. And Tsyolin's "Wooden Overture" almost completely ignores the brass section, which is especially troubling to a brass player such as myself. So while nobody expects to you come out guns blazing with epic symphonies, people like me really love orchestral producers who manage to pull of that difficult "contemporary orchestral/classical" or "cinematic" sound rather than the "I just pirated EWQL Symphonic Orchestra" sound.
-YouTube- || -SoundCloud- || -Tumblr- (pony) || -Tumblr- (non-pony)
FIMprov

Primary: Ableton

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Feb 2013 14:34

I'm not orchestral either, but I play guitar and piano on a basic level.
Nine Volt

Postby v.lossity » 07 Feb 2013 16:50

@FIMprov this is some good food for thought, Ill definitely check some pieces out with brass (and woodwind). The only experience I have with brass and woodwinds was with a small pit orchestra I played in in highschool, and to be honest, when you are a violist that is having to jump into fifth and sixth position and back, you arent really paying much attention to the horns clear on the other side of the pit xD So yeah, it would be good to listen and get oriented in the full orchestra.
And I know what you mean re: using a full orchestra. I heard a great song by JWoodony that was just strings and piano but I thought "this sounds odd", and on inspection of the project files, I discovered every single strings track was some kind of cello! So yeah I get the frustration. Ill get a woodwinds library as soon as I can afford it :S Thanks for the ideas :)
v.lossity

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Feb 2013 16:53

There's a quote button you know.
Nine Volt

Postby v.lossity » 07 Feb 2013 16:57

yes, and while it takes less work, it ends up taking up more space.
v.lossity

Postby Forza SoundFire » 07 Feb 2013 17:00

I think playing orchestral percussion gave me an excellent opportunity to sit there for hours and play only a few notes! Plenty of time to sit and listen...

http://youtube.com/user/forzacomposition
Contact [email protected] for;
Original Music
Sound Design/FX
Instrumental Recording (Violin, Viola, Drums, Tuned and Untuned Percussion)
Forza SoundFire

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Feb 2013 17:01

v.lossity wrote:yes, and while it takes less work, it ends up taking up more space.

And people also have no clue what you're talking about. It's easier for everyone to just use the quote function.
Nine Volt

Postby Spactrum » 07 Feb 2013 17:10

I mostly do House now and all the chords are very easy to make when you can play the piano

I'm learning to play for half a year now and my worktime on Tracks reduced a lot
DAW: Fl Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
VSTs: Nexus²(fuck you Sytrus), GuitarRig 5, Vocaloid (yes, Vocaloid is a VST too)

I'm good at 3D Animations too
I can make you a Visualiser

https://soundcloud.com/spactrum/love-is-in-bloom-house-remix
Spactrum

Postby v.lossity » 07 Feb 2013 17:11

Nine Volt wrote:
v.lossity wrote:yes, and while it takes less work, it ends up taking up more space.

And people also have no clue what you're talking about. It's easier for everyone to just use the quote function.

I suppose I can start using it. It just really irks me when someone quotes so much it takes up a whole page on a thread which is why I never used it before.
v.lossity

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Feb 2013 17:20

v.lossity wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:

I suppose I can start using it. It just really irks me when someone quotes so much it takes up a whole page on a thread which is why I never used it before.

Well, it's a good thing we have a 3 quote embed limit :3
Plus the 25 posts per page thing
Nine Volt

Postby v.lossity » 07 Feb 2013 18:03

Well, it's a good thing we have a 3 quote embed limit :3

Well....have you seen this? viewtopic.php?p=87489#p87489

This is kinda what I meant, and its not like a huge deal or anything, its just a bit irritating.

edit: just realizing how offtopic Im getting in my own thread >.<
v.lossity

Postby FIMprov » 07 Feb 2013 20:19

Oh, and v.lossity, I just thought of another thing. Since I imagine you don't care much for classical music, you could also try film soundtracks to get that epic cinematic sound without being bored out of your gourd by a twenty-minute Boroque brass ensemble. A more cinematic style is what many orchestral producers go for anyway.
-YouTube- || -SoundCloud- || -Tumblr- (pony) || -Tumblr- (non-pony)
FIMprov

Primary: Ableton

Next

Return to Technique