Kicks and Snares

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Kicks and Snares

Postby senntenial » 31 Jan 2013 13:06

???
Snare how do thanks
The kick is kind of easier to understand.

Like I'm guessing it's all eqing and compression and layering but are there any specifics you can give?
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Re: Kicks and Snares

Postby Ptepix » 31 Jan 2013 13:16

Well I personally layer two snares. One that is a tighter sound and one that is more of a higher longer snare. I usually compress the lower mids up and then eq the bass up too. Depending on how that sounds I'll eq the highs up too...but I'm not a pro at snare mixing o.O
What is love?!
Ptepix

Postby bartekko » 31 Jan 2013 13:27

I'm pretty sure that that is a distorted 808 or 909 snare with a volume envelope
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 01 Feb 2013 00:14

That snare kinda sounds a little too much like a standard FL Snare to me. Maybe that's just me.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby GumsOfGabby » 01 Feb 2013 08:54

Finding the right sample(s) is 90% of the work done. Sounds like this snare would be hitting ~220Hz area. Since a lot of snare made for EDM hitting lower, you could try pitching them up (or find better sample). Then your obvious EQing and compressing (compressing doesn't change the sound drastically so I wouldn't be too dependent on it). Maybe a bit of clip distortion with a softish curve too. All else I can think of is really small reverb (small size and decay) with a bit of pre delay.

I'm kinda stuck with processing these kind of snares too. Blaze managed to make a pretty decent replica in this track
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ze3pou_GA[/youtube]
Again, the majority of the work is finding the right sample.

You could maybe ask him for hints, or SixofLasers whose snares are also amazing.
Youtube | Soundcloud

FL/Massive noob

Need a bit of feedback? Don't be shy to send me a PM along with your sample.
GumsOfGabby

Postby Icky » 01 Feb 2013 09:40

Layer snares/claps. boost the 200hz range on snares for more body, and 3K for more crisp. Don't forget to compress or transient shape it for more attack.

Kicks usually need some extra attack as well, as for EQ it really depends a bit more on the genre what frequencies. (for dubstep and dnb I usually boost it a little around 100, as well as at 2000) Oh and you can layer kicks as well.
Icky

Postby froggy » 01 Feb 2013 12:30

Skrillex on snare drums, since that seems to be what you're going for

It's all about the three pieces that make a really nice drum sound. You need a nice transient in the beginning, and then the note around the 200-hertz frequency that gives it that boof, and then a tail, which can be anything. I usually start with a 909 and compress it to get the harmonics of that 200-hertz note, and then take maybe one or two really good-sounding locked drum samples that don't conflict with any of the harmonics in the 909. You want to tune it at about 200, and shelve off a lot of that stuff above 200, and then you have this live-sounding hybrid 909. Then you take a clap or a china [sound] and shelve it off super high, and add some reverb to it and then print it as one. Balance it while you print it, and then you re-compress it from there and you have a snare drum.

http://www.izotope.com/artists/skrillex.asp

Personally I've gotten decent snares by layering tom drums and white noise with some careful EQ work, and then driving them with CamelPhat. Alternatively, CamelCrusher is completely free and comes with the most useful drum processing components in CamelPhat (distortion and compression) so it'd be worth checking that out.
ponies are homo
froggy

Postby senntenial » 01 Feb 2013 14:53

Thanks for the responses guys, this helps a ton!
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby Dr. Plague » 04 Feb 2013 09:15

Gonna specifically +1 what froggy said about using toms. I hear very little brostep (and subgenres) these days that don't have a snare with a tom in it. That's what gives it that real punch in the lower range. (And to think, I used to just EQ the shit out of it and hope it got some kick.)
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Genres of choice: basically just EDM
Strengths: Compressing the shit out of already compressed stuff
Weaknesses: All that other stuff you do in music
Dr. Plague

Cutie Mark: I'm human, not a pony

Return to Technique