KTN vocal effect

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

KTN vocal effect

Postby Nine Volt » 29 Jan 2013 14:33

Alright, during the song 'Kill the Noise (Part 1)' there's this really cool vocal effect just before the drop and during it. Here's the video (dubstep lyrics ftw)

It's the one at around 2:53, the one that just says 'Kill' in that really plasticine and synthetic sounding voice.

Also, in Black Magic/Kill the Noise Part 2), the choir at the beginning is singing 'Kill the Noise'. It's throughout the song too:

I just thought it'd be interesting to learn how he did that, I think it's unlikely he had access to a choir to sing for him. Maybe he did, I don't know. But I'm more interested in the first question.
Nine Volt

Re: KTN vocal effect

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 29 Jan 2013 14:52

Well the 'Kill' is probably done with BitSpeak.

The choir honestly sounds like two vocalists, with multiple harmonies, set into the mix so that the further back the harmonies would go, the more reverb and filtering is applied. You don't need to all be in the same room to achieve a realistic choir effect:

Just lots and lots of takes. It does help to have a different vocalist for each, but you can modify them with something like Melodyne or that FL copycat version, editing formants and stuff. Just don't go nuts.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Nine Volt » 29 Jan 2013 15:22

Lavender_Harmony wrote:Well the 'Kill' is probably done with BitSpeak.

Possible. KTN uses Reason (or at least he was using Reason when he made this song), which is incapable of using VSTs. Of course, it's very possible he made the sample in some other DAW using BitSpeak and then just imported the sample into Reason. Still a cool effect regardless.

As for the choir thing, that definitely seems like a possibility, and a bit of a creative one at that (either that or I'm just not good at seeing the obvious).
Nine Volt

Postby LFP » 29 Jan 2013 15:51

He uses a hardware talkbox if I remember correctly, which probably can do similar things to what bitspeek can do :3
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby cyrricky » 29 Jan 2013 16:51

I read a piece on him, turns out the choir was real. I'll see if I can find the article and skype it to you.

EDIT: They're called the Sunday Night Singers
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Postby cplbradley » 06 Feb 2013 16:50

KTN talked about the choir in the beginning of Black Magic. It WAS a real choir (as cyrricky pointed out) and it required excessive amounts of EQing and compressing to get it to sound right.
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby Forza SoundFire » 07 Feb 2013 01:16

Ok; here's my take~
"kill" has been re-formatted using some sort of fft processor, taking the pitch content from a synthesised wave and the rest of the content from the voice (so it's basically a vocoder).
The reason you can deduce this, is that the syllable K has lost nearly all of it's fricative content, having been replaced with a more consistent wave (probably pulse).

Don't know which tools you have that'll do it, but you *might* get the same sort of sound by pitch-shifting and filtering or putting a reaaaly hard and fast mono tremolo on it. You'll probably want to distort/overdrive and EQ as well.

Just had an idea for your choir;
Try using a convolution reverb to create the effect~ record yourself (or others) to get a wide variety of tones (do things like record at different mic placements using a stereo mic technique if you can). Bounce your choir part down and load it into your convolution reverb as your IR. This makes you reverb unit produce the sound of your choir like it would do if it were reverb!

http://youtube.com/user/forzacomposition
Contact [email protected] for;
Original Music
Sound Design/FX
Instrumental Recording (Violin, Viola, Drums, Tuned and Untuned Percussion)
Forza SoundFire

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Feb 2013 13:48

Forza SoundFire wrote:Ok; here's my take~
"kill" has been re-formatted using some sort of fft processor, taking the pitch content from a synthesised wave and the rest of the content from the voice (so it's basically a vocoder).
The reason you can deduce this, is that the syllable K has lost nearly all of it's fricative content, having been replaced with a more consistent wave (probably pulse).

Don't know which tools you have that'll do it, but you *might* get the same sort of sound by pitch-shifting and filtering or putting a reaaaly hard and fast mono tremolo on it. You'll probably want to distort/overdrive and EQ as well.

Just had an idea for your choir;
Try using a convolution reverb to create the effect~ record yourself (or others) to get a wide variety of tones (do things like record at different mic placements using a stereo mic technique if you can). Bounce your choir part down and load it into your convolution reverb as your IR. This makes you reverb unit produce the sound of your choir like it would do if it were reverb!

Nice, thanks!

I don't actually plan on doing this myself though, I was just curious :3
Nine Volt

Return to Technique