An Extremely Odd Synth

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

An Extremely Odd Synth

Postby Raddons » 28 Jan 2013 19:54

I was listening to some old music that I haven't listened to in a while, and I came across this gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dkd7lwkJ-U

At about 5:06 in the song, the keyboardist gets a really awesome solo spot where he plays one of the coolest lead patches ever in my opinion. The thing is, I can't seem to wrap my mind around how to design something like that. I've always called it the "rubber band" synth since I was like 12 or something.

Any ideas how to design a synth like that?
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: An Extremely Odd Synth

Postby itroitnyah » 28 Jan 2013 20:27

Hmm.... maybe they sampled a rubber band, lol
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Friv » 28 Jan 2013 20:50

This actually reminds me of a Harmor preset... but the "rubber band" effect I think you're referring to is just the fact that he's playing the solo while the synth is also already modulating the pitch which, combined with the quick attack and short decay, causes that rubber band sound. Although I am usually completely wrong.
Well I'm pretty much done with this site (it wasn't about the April Fool's joke I actually loved that). If for some reason somebody wants to contact me or something (not like any of you even care lol):
email: [email protected]
Friv

Postby ph00tbag » 29 Jan 2013 10:56

Sounds like there's a bit of a lift on the onset of each note, as well as some portamento applied. A pretty quick attack on the filter, and then some manual pitch bending on the longer notes. Throw a good distortion box on the effect chain, and you should have the gist.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio

Postby prozeyic » 30 Jan 2013 01:29

Sounds like he's using portamento and some manual pitch bend on the longer notes. If you turn on portamento and change the voices to 1, only allowing one note to be played at a time. Then hold down a low note and play a staccato melody in a higher octave you should get a similar effect.
prozeyic

Primary: Ableton Live 9

Postby Raddons » 30 Jan 2013 08:16

I get that much. I was really talking about the sound design of the synth iteslf.

Sorry for the misclarification!
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Return to Technique