FLstudio Mobile help/tips?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

FLstudio Mobile help/tips?

Postby SkyDash » 26 Jan 2013 00:37

Hi, I'm pretty new here so I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to put this. I would like some assistance in a program I got for the iPad, FLstudio mobile. Or maybe just to share some hints and tricks and stuff like that. I don't know much about Dubstep in general (more of a Rock kind of guy) but I think all music has a chance to be awesome.

Point is:

If there's anyone out there who knows how to properly manipulate sound waves in FLstudio mobile, it would help if you could share some tips. Been trying to get an orchestral bass drum sound, but no matter which filter, I can't seem to get the right thing. Any other fun tips would also be useful.

Thanks again!
"Friends, Family, Money, they all disappear eventually. But music, music will never die."
-- Some Hobo I found on the street playing a harmonica.
SkyDash

Re: FLstudio Mobile help/tips?

Postby Conduit » 26 Jan 2013 00:44

Well first off your not going to get an "orchestral bass drum" if you start off with something that's not even close. I'm not familiar with FL mobile, but I would recommend searching the web for some samples closer to what your envisioning. Once you get a few good samples you can start EQing them and adding reverb and such.

It would also probably be in your best interest to get a actual DAW on your desktop. iPads at best will only be able to run the simplest of songs, just because of hardware limitations.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby phantomignition » 26 Jan 2013 00:54

I also don't know too much about it, but here's a playlist of videos about it the ImageLine has on their YouTube. It may help you in some way.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60A6ABB92691D0FF
Soundcloud
YouTube (It's completely empty right now)
phantomignition

Postby SkyDash » 26 Jan 2013 00:58

Well thanks, I've thought about getting Kontakt 5 if that would help much. I tend to be hazardous when getting software just because of all the technical difficulties.

Also, thanks for the youtube videos phantomignition. I'll be sure to look back over them to see if I'm missing something.
"Friends, Family, Money, they all disappear eventually. But music, music will never die."
SkyDash

Postby Nine Volt » 26 Jan 2013 01:01

SkyDash wrote:Well thanks, I've thought about getting Kontakt 5 if that would help much. I tend to be hazardous when getting software just because of all the technical difficulties.

Also, thanks for the youtube videos phantomignition. I'll be sure to look back over them to see if I'm missing something.

Kontakt isn't a DAW.
Nine Volt

Postby Conduit » 26 Jan 2013 01:24

Get a DAW before you even think about getting VST's.
I use Logic now, which I highly recommend if your using a mac. I used Ableton in the past, and its better in some aspects, but Logic wins out solely because of the mixing interface, and the included sounds are much better then Lives. Logic is also fairly cheap at $200 for the full version.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby SkyDash » 26 Jan 2013 01:58

Thanks, and sorry if I get my terms mixed up. I've been skipping around a lot between Adobe Flash, FLstudio and a bunch of others.
SkyDash

Postby itroitnyah » 26 Jan 2013 06:06

Well, adobe flash isn't a daw either... Or do you make flash animations? :lol:

anyways, FL Studio Mobile would probably be mostly for basic functions and I'm not really sure why in sam hell Image-Line felt the need to put FL on the ipad or itouch, it's basically useless. The greatest thing I can see getting accomplished on it is writing out some chord progressions and melodies in some of the basic included instruments. But like said above, you should probably wait to get a DAW on your computer. Just a run through a ton of DAWs:

FL Studio: The messiest but most commonly used DAW, works great and handles a lot of hardware just fine. The built in plugins are pretty good and useful. There isn't a specific genre that this DAW is good at making, it's sort of all-around, I guess.

Ableton Live: Clean, and the second most used from my experience on youtube :P The strong point is performing shows live, but it's really great at making a wide range of genres as well. Built in plugins are a bit better than FL's, but that's what you get for $700.

Logic Pro: Similar to Ableton, but I'm not sure how it's performance live works out. Somebody who has used both (Lav and Flatfish come to mind) can go further in depth. Another difference is that you can only use Logic on a Mac. Windows won't run it.

Cubase: An advanced version of FL, being much cleaner, plugins are slightly better, and handles hardware a bit better (I think). Also offers some functions that FL doesn't have.

Propellerhead Reason: This DAW lives off in its own world, running it's own internal plugins, and up until a certain point, plugins from other worlds (like Native Instrument plugins) couldn't visit Reason. Anyways, Reason is clean and it's built in synths are good, and there's really no need to get 3rd party plugins, so you'll save money. There's also a slight learning curve involved in this DAW.

Reaper: They live off the honor code, so the trial is the free version so you can keep it forever and you just get little pop ups saying "Buy the full version!" every now and then. But it's only $60, so it's cheap. I don't know a whole lot about this DAW though.

Pro Tools: The producers nightmare, according to Lavender Harmony. If you get a light version of this from an audio interface that you purchase, you'd have to try it out yourself, but from what I've heard, it's a nightmare to work with.

Mixcraft: I don't know anything about this DAW, other than it will run EastWest Symphonic Orchestra a whole lot better than Ableton live, lol.

So that's all I know, but now this is going to turn into a DAW discussion. Here, have some threads on DAWs that should help you in picking out a DAW: Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 1 should be the most helpful to you. But look through them both.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 28 Jan 2013 00:53

I've got some experience with fl mobile. My advice, use it to get your grips on FL and then get the proper daw.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 28 Jan 2013 06:17

I use FL mobile when I'm on the move and I want to get projects layed out so that I can import them on my computer later where I can apply propper instruments and effects. I never try crazy effects with the mobile version with the limited choice of sampled instruments.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 28 Jan 2013 08:51

I just can't get anything done on the damn thing. The touch screen for midi is awkward to use, the piano for recording is too small for my gargantuan hands to use and the preset sounds are limiting to me. If I can't make the sound, I find it extrordinarily annoying to work with. So you may have use for it, Ironhelm. But I consider it a waste of money. But this is just me, I've heard some decent things done with FL Mobile.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby senntenial » 28 Jan 2013 13:51

Yeah I've got FL Mobile and the Full thing and point is Mobile is shitty toy and you aren't gonna get anything done with it.
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Return to Technique