Bass drops and other things dubstep

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: Bass drops and other things dubstep

Postby Quix » 26 Jan 2013 14:43

I saw your post before I posted that comment, and I appreciated that you did contribute to the discussion, but as I said, "...don't make comments like these in the first place."
Quix

Primary: Ableton Live 9

Postby Ptepix » 26 Jan 2013 16:50

Oh wow...FM8 IS good. Yeah get that for your dubstep too! :D
What is love?!
Ptepix

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 26 Jan 2013 17:51

cyrricky wrote:If you do choose to get Massive (It's a really good synth), don't use the M-Talk wavetable.

Do not let people tell you this. If you want to use the Modern Talking waveform, go ahead. As long as it sounds good no one should care.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 26 Jan 2013 18:31

seeing as you have Sylenth, I don't see any reason to worry about getting any other synths.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Nine Volt » 26 Jan 2013 18:36

Might want to pick up an FM synth like FM8 if you're interested in the Kill The Noise or Knife Party style growls and FM basses, though.
Nine Volt

Postby ChocolateChicken » 26 Jan 2013 18:41

JSynth wrote:Right now, the only plug in I have is sylenth.

But you have Logic Pro. That means that it came with a bunch of synths, including the ES2 Hybrid synthesizer, which is both subtractive and FM. You can make some very awesome sounds with that synth alone.

I can show you how to use FM mode in ES2 to make great synths.

Ptepix wrote:lol if you are gonna do dubstep you pretty much NEED NI Massive...but there are ways to not use massive...it is just really hard :D

WRONG

Lol, Skrillex wannabes who think they need FM8 or Massive to make distorted/modulated synths.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby ChocolateChicken » 26 Jan 2013 19:20

To activate FM mode in Logic Pro's ES2 Hybrid, click on the knob of Oscillator 1 and turn it like so.

Turning the knob clockwise will increase the FM amount, and counter-clockwise will decrease the amount of FM.

Then you can go to Oscillator 2, and right click where it says "sine," and then you'll get 98 individual waveforms to choose from, which you can use to modulate Oscillator 1.

I like to have Oscillator 2 detuned by one octave lower than Oscillator 1 in FM mode usually, but that's just me.

Also, usually in popular dubstep, the filters are modulated, usually via LFO.

And distortion can be a really good effect to add to the synths too.
Last edited by ChocolateChicken on 26 Jan 2013 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
ChocolateChicken

Postby Nine Volt » 26 Jan 2013 19:24

ChocolateChicken wrote:
Ptepix wrote:lol if you are gonna do dubstep you pretty much NEED NI Massive...but there are ways to not use massive...it is just really hard :D

WRONG

Lol, Skrillex wannabes who think they need FM8 or Massive to make distorted/modulated synths.

I was just recommending it because I have no idea of the capabilities of Logic's basic synths and whatnot. I don't use them either, Reason has a similar sounding subtractive/FM synth called Thor, totally capable of probably everything the Logic synth is capable of.
Nine Volt

Postby ChocolateChicken » 26 Jan 2013 19:39

Here's a short example that I made with Logic's ES2.

http://soundcloud.com/stopeatingmywaffles/es2-hybrid-synthesizer-bass/s-9mGkb

So for dubstep-type sounds, mess with FM mode in the ES2. I'm sure you or anyone else can make much better bass synths with ES2 than this one. There are also plenty of youtube tutorials on this very subject. Just type in "ES2 bass" or something like that and you'll get a bunch of videos. Hope this helps.
ChocolateChicken

Postby Ptepix » 26 Jan 2013 22:36

God, everyone is flippin their tits about me saying you 'need' massive. Ok you don't NEED massive...but out of all of the synths I have heard, used, or otherwise...Massive it the MOST versatile synth. You can make anything with it....quite literally. Even drum loops if you like and have the time XD
This way you don't have to use and learn three thousand different synths. Most other NI plugins are similar too if you want to expand on their library.

But no, you don't need it. It is just an industry standard.
What is love?!
Ptepix

Postby FermataWordplA » 26 Jan 2013 23:48

cyrricky wrote:Sytrus, which I think comes with FL Studio

Quick clarification here, Sytrus only comes if you drop an extra $100 on top of the basic FL package.
FermataWordplA

Postby Maelstrom » 26 Jan 2013 23:55

FermataWordplA wrote:
cyrricky wrote:Sytrus, which I think comes with FL Studio

Quick clarification here, Sytrus only comes if you drop an extra $100 on top of the basic FL package.

But Sytrus is ridiculously amazing. I LOVE sytrus. :3

Opinion though. Disregard if you don't like sytrus.
I have a Mormon. I have Mormons stashed around everywhere, in case of a Mormon emergency.
- 3MO DJ
Maelstrom

Postby FlyingNinjaBannanas » 27 Jan 2013 11:39

Ptepix wrote:God, everyone is flippin their tits about me saying you 'need' massive. Ok you don't NEED massive...but out of all of the synths I have heard, used, or otherwise...Massive it the MOST versatile synth. You can make anything with it....quite literally. Even drum loops if you like and have the time XD
This way you don't have to use and learn three thousand different synths. Most other NI plugins are similar too if you want to expand on their library.

But no, you don't need it. It is just an industry standard.

I don't mean to continue this, but Massive is not the most versatile synth. Most FM synths can destroy it when it come to versatility. But for ease-of-use, it beats most FM synths. FM8 or Sytrus, with massive, can be a deadly combination. Though I would agree on "industry standard". Most musicians have Massive in there library, either bought or "acquired".

To answer the OP, any Wavetable or FM synth should in theory be able to produce the sounds which are popular in the dubstep genre. But Massive, Sytrus, and FM8 are popular favorites. Analog synths could pull it off, but I have yet to try it extensively. If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be quite helpful. Other than that, as said before, there are extensive tutorials, and various other helpful sources around the internet. Digging deeper should unveil any information this forum can not provide.
[Insert pointless filler here]
FlyingNinjaBannanas

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Jack of All Trades

Postby HMage » 07 Feb 2013 18:57

Here's an example what sylenth can do:

http://www.freshlysqueezedsamples.com/u ... 3DE472.mp3
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby cplbradley » 07 Feb 2013 19:53

This man will teach you everything you need to know about making dubstep: http://www.youtube.com/yeahdubz
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby cplbradley » 07 Feb 2013 19:55

use lots of vengence samples and as many presets as you can find
also remember, use lots and lots of premade loops
and use lots of limiter
also apply soundgoodizer to EVERYTHING
cplbradley

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Feb 2013 20:02

This:
cplbradley wrote:use lots of vengence samples and as many presets as you can find
and use lots of limiter

Plus this:
Nine Volt a fucking month ago jesus wrote:Actually, just download all the free massive presets you can (of course after pirating said software) and go to town with the wobbles, the modern talking, the 140 BPM, and of course don't forget to add the obligatory 'turn up the bass' sample just before the drop. For the intro you can just have a simpler version of the drums during the drop along with a simple pluck pattern or basic melody (don't forget your Sylenth presets). Be sure not to make it very complex. Dubstep fans are notoriously simple minded, and anything even moderately complex in design or construction can cause dizziness, nausea, lethargia, amnesia, and (in more severe cases) profuse vomiting, coma, death, or even [DATA EXPUNGED]. Anyway, after 16 bars of your drop make sure you add a fulltime beat. The breakdown should be exactly like the normal drop, only with just the main bass and with a halftime beat and no hats.

Is dubstep.
Nine Volt

Postby the4thImpulse » 07 Feb 2013 20:08

Nine Volt wrote:This:
cplbradley wrote:use lots of vengence samples and as many presets as you can find
and use lots of limiter

Plus this:
Nine Volt a fucking month ago jesus wrote:Actually, just download all the free massive presets you can (of course after pirating said software) and go to town with the wobbles, the modern talking, the 140 BPM, and of course don't forget to add the obligatory 'turn up the bass' sample just before the drop. For the intro you can just have a simpler version of the drums during the drop along with a simple pluck pattern or basic melody (don't forget your Sylenth presets). Be sure not to make it very complex. Dubstep fans are notoriously simple minded, and anything even moderately complex in design or construction can cause dizziness, nausea, lethargia, amnesia, and (in more severe cases) profuse vomiting, coma, death, or even [DATA EXPUNGED]. Anyway, after 16 bars of your drop make sure you add a fulltime beat. The breakdown should be exactly like the normal drop, only with just the main bass and with a halftime beat and no hats.

Is dubstep.

I don't use/do any of that... no wonder I can't make the dubstep.

Back to seriousness, I use an MS2000 for dubstep sounds, but I haven't released a dubstep track sooooo... yea.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby cplbradley » 12 Feb 2013 10:32

Ok legitimately when it comes to the topic of Massive, no you don't need it to make wobbles. The reason people use it though is because it's powerful and great for making wobbles. It's not the only thing I use, but I use it for a lot of stuff because I've spent lots of time learning how to use it.
cplbradley

Postby Ocular » 12 Feb 2013 13:02

Hell, you can make a dubstep bass in 3xOsc. It's not hard.
inactive
Ocular

Previous

Return to Technique