Bass drops and other things dubstep

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Bass drops and other things dubstep

Postby JSynth » 25 Jan 2013 13:16

So, I am completely new to dubstep music. I have no idea how some of these sounds are made.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew any good tutorials on how to produce some of those sounds.
Preferably with Logic.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Re: Bass drops and other things dubstep

Postby Conduit » 25 Jan 2013 13:45

https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby the4thImpulse » 25 Jan 2013 14:06

Flatflish wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Dubstep+Sound+Design+Logic

The same thing works with youtube too!

If you have specific questions about dubstep ask them here, otherwise doing the research yourself will be the only way to truly reap the rewards.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Jan 2013 14:21

XD

I love you guys :3

But to answer the OP:
Look in the 'how to music' thread. If you can't find it there then you should ask more specific questions.

Actually, just download all the free massive presets you can (of course after pirating said software) and go to town with the wobbles, the modern talking, the 140 BPM, and of course don't forget to add the obligatory 'turn up the bass' sample just before the drop. For the intro you can just have a simpler version of the drums during the drop along with a simple pluck pattern or basic melody (don't forget your Sylenth presets). Be sure not to make it very complex. Dubstep fans are notoriously simple minded, and anything even moderately complex in design or construction can cause dizziness, nausea, lethargia, amnesia, and (in more severe cases) profuse vomiting, coma, death, or even [DATA EXPUNGED]. Anyway, after 16 bars of your drop make sure you add a fulltime beat. The breakdown should be exactly like the normal drop, only with just the main bass and with a halftime beat and no hats.
Nine Volt

Postby PonE-Sharp » 25 Jan 2013 14:54

Flatflish wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Dubstep+Sound+Design+Logic

Hey, If it were me, I'd rather ask a community I'm comfortable with and know would give me one on one assistance rather than searching page after page of indirect help. Just Saiyan.
Find me here:

youtube.com/user/coltsuke
League of Legends: Zarfall (Or PrìncessCelestia. Both work apparently.)
Steam ID: Trentul
DeviantArt: Zarfall
PonE-Sharp

Postby itroitnyah » 25 Jan 2013 15:40

Learn song structure the most. That is by far the hardest thing for me right now, lol
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Conduit » 25 Jan 2013 16:22

Hey, If it were me, I'd rather ask a community I'm comfortable with and know would give me one on one assistance rather than searching page after page of indirect help. Just Saiyan.[/quote]

We could help if there was an actual question. Things like, how do I make a bass like this, or What mixing techniques can make my drop sound more full there's something we could actually give feedback on.
"Guiz I'm new, how do I dubstep" (Not singling out this post. OP I have nothing against you <3) is way too common of a post. If you go back 2 or 3 pages in this subforum I'm sure you would find a similar post. If your just getting started there are tons of guides already out there, you just have to look.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Jan 2013 16:44

Or you could just follow my patented advice above (9V's Guide to Becoming a Dubstep God™) and become a dubstep god in only a paragraph's worth of instructions!
Nine Volt

Postby Ptepix » 25 Jan 2013 19:09

Nine Volt wrote:Or you could just follow my patented advice above (9V's Guide to Becoming a Dubstep God™) and become a dubstep god in only a paragraph's worth of instructions!

You sir are quite good at paraphrasing an entire genre :D
What is love?!
Ptepix

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 25 Jan 2013 21:37

Nine Volt wrote:XD

I love you guys :3

But to answer the OP:
Look in the 'how to music' thread. If you can't find it there then you should ask more specific questions.

Actually, just download all the free massive presets you can (of course after pirating said software) and go to town with the wobbles, the modern talking, the 140 BPM, and of course don't forget to add the obligatory 'turn up the bass' sample just before the drop. For the intro you can just have a simpler version of the drums during the drop along with a simple pluck pattern or basic melody (don't forget your Sylenth presets). Be sure not to make it very complex. Dubstep fans are notoriously simple minded, and anything even moderately complex in design or construction can cause dizziness, nausea, lethargia, amnesia, and (in more severe cases) profuse vomiting, coma, death, or even [DATA EXPUNGED]. Anyway, after 16 bars of your drop make sure you add a fulltime beat. The breakdown should be exactly like the normal drop, only with just the main bass and with a halftime beat and no hats.

I am offended.

But seriously, modern talking is ok as long as you distort it. I was actually going to post a little guide on dubstep drops sometime soon...
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 25 Jan 2013 21:58

Nine Volt wrote:. . .
Actually, just download all the free massive presets you can (of course after pirating said software) . . .

sometimes I wonder why I still visit this site.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Ironfire » 25 Jan 2013 22:17

Captain Ironhelm wrote:
Actually, just download all the free massive presets you can (of course after pirating said software) . . .

Same reason everyone else does!
My latest stuff on SoundCloud!!!!!
https://soundcloud.com/ironfire/tirek-i-presume
Ironfire

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Anvil

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Jan 2013 22:24

Captain Ironhelm wrote:

Yes, because I was clearly serious :roll:
Nine Volt

Postby JSynth » 25 Jan 2013 22:39

Just to clarify,
The reason I was asking, was because a lot of the tutorials that I found were kind of confusing.
I was hoping that someone would know a good place to start.

I guess not.
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

JSynth

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Jan 2013 22:47

You should have specified that you'd already looked.

I'm not a Logic user myself, but I can tell you that you should familiarize yourself with your software before trying to really make anything. It sounds to me like you're fairly new to Logic, so try and learn what exactly the DAW does, and what it does differently than your previous DAW.

As for dubstep tutorials, there's hundreds if not thousands of general dubstep tutorials, maybe not necessarily for Logic, but if you've got any knowledge of how synths work you should be able to easily apply them to your DAW of choice. A good place to start learning the basics would be Boyinaband or SeamlessR. Boyinaband is more general, whereas SeamlessR does primarily bass tutorials. BIAB uses Reason and Seamless uses FL, but as I said if you've got any knowledge of how synths work then you should be able to glean something from it.
Nine Volt

Postby ChocolateChicken » 25 Jan 2013 23:59

JSynth wrote:Just to clarify,
The reason I was asking, was because a lot of the tutorials that I found were kind of confusing.

I guess not.

I can help you; I'm a Logic Pro user. Care to share any plugins that you have? Or if you only have the built-in Logic instruments?
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby the4thImpulse » 26 Jan 2013 00:11

I guess not.

Break up your search into smaller easier tasks like "how to use a vst in logic", then "how to make dubstep with your vst (this can be in any daw as you focus on the synth)". Keep searching out the smaller things so you can more easily piece together 'dubstep'.

Again, if you have more specific questions ask them here. Asking 'how do I do dubstep' will get you flamed on most forums out there.

There is no universal best place to start, you kinda just have to jump in. If you have friend that makes EDM try asking them to show you a thing or two, of course most of us aren't that lucky.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby JSynth » 26 Jan 2013 08:08

ChocolateChicken wrote:

I guess not.

I can help you; I'm a Logic Pro user. Care to share any plugins that you have? Or if you only have the built-in Logic instruments?

Right now, the only plug in I have is sylenth.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

JSynth

Postby Ptepix » 26 Jan 2013 12:31

lol if you are gonna do dubstep you pretty much NEED NI Massive...but there are ways to not use massive...it is just really hard :D
What is love?!
Ptepix

Postby cyrricky » 26 Jan 2013 13:02

Ptepix wrote:lol if you are gonna do dubstep you pretty much NEED NI Massive...but there are ways to not use massive...it is just really hard :D

I can't stress enough how incredibly wrong this is. Massive, while being a great example of a wavetable synth, is not required to produce American Dubstep (the kind with the growls and the extreme amounts of earsore). As far as that goes, I'd recommend an FM synth. FM8, while daunting at first, proves to be a really powerful synthesizer, and Sytrus, which I think comes with FL Studio (I don't use it so I don't know).

As for the "It's just really hard" bit, yeah. It is hard. But making music isn't an easy thing.

If you do choose to get Massive (It's a really good synth), don't use the M-Talk wavetable.

And whatever synth you use, presets are for learning how the synth works, not for use in songs.
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Postby Ptepix » 26 Jan 2013 13:44

cyrricky wrote:
Ptepix wrote:lol if you are gonna do dubstep you pretty much NEED NI Massive...but there are ways to not use massive...it is just really hard :D

I can't stress enough how incredibly wrong this is. Massive, while being a great example of a wavetable synth, is not required to produce American Dubstep (the kind with the growls and the extreme amounts of earsore). As far as that goes, I'd recommend an FM synth. FM8, while daunting at first, proves to be a really powerful synthesizer, and Sytrus, which I think comes with FL Studio (I don't use it so I don't know).

As for the "It's just really hard" bit, yeah. It is hard. But making music isn't an easy thing.

If you do choose to get Massive (It's a really good synth), don't use the M-Talk wavetable.

And whatever synth you use, presets are for learning how the synth works, not for use in songs.

Never heard of FM8...is it for wobbles and what not?
And I said 'pretty much' lol. I wasn't positive if there were other vst's
What is love?!
Ptepix

Postby cyrricky » 26 Jan 2013 13:52

Ptepix wrote:Never heard of FM8...is it for wobbles and what not?

It could be used for wobbles, but its primarily an FM synthesizer. I highly recommend it.
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Postby Ptepix » 26 Jan 2013 13:54

Oh wow. I just looked at some vids for it...looks amazing. Ima have to get it
What is love?!
Ptepix

Postby Quix » 26 Jan 2013 14:05

Nine Volt wrote:Actually, just download all the free massive presets you can (of course after pirating said software)...

Please stop with the fucking satire and try to help out. Comments like these are the main reason why I really don't like this forum. I know you weren't being serious, but don't make comments like these in the first place.

In response to the OP, I wouldn't worry about making dubstep if you don't know much about sound design (I'm assuming you don't). Get a good synth. Learn what EVERY knob and button does and how they are used. Read about synthesis as much as you can, and try not to use presets (other than for learning's sake). An understanding of synthesis is essential for a producer. I'd recommend reading this series of articles for a fantastic entry into how synths work: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Synthesis isn't easy, and you're going to be horrible at it for a long time, but the sooner you start learning, the faster you're going to get better at it. You should only worry about dubstep when you have a decent understanding of how synths work.
Quix

Primary: Ableton Live 9

Postby Nine Volt » 26 Jan 2013 14:18

Quix wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:Actually, just download all the free massive presets you can (of course after pirating said software)...

Please stop with the fucking satire and try to help out. Comments like these are the main reason why I really don't like this forum. I know you weren't being serious, but don't make comments like these in the first place.

Nine Volt wrote:You should have specified that you'd already looked.

I'm not a Logic user myself, but I can tell you that you should familiarize yourself with your software before trying to really make anything. It sounds to me like you're fairly new to Logic, so try and learn what exactly the DAW does, and what it does differently than your previous DAW.

As for dubstep tutorials, there's hundreds if not thousands of general dubstep tutorials, maybe not necessarily for Logic, but if you've got any knowledge of how synths work you should be able to easily apply them to your DAW of choice. A good place to start learning the basics would be Boyinaband or SeamlessR. Boyinaband is more general, whereas SeamlessR does primarily bass tutorials. BIAB uses Reason and Seamless uses FL, but as I said if you've got any knowledge of how synths work then you should be able to glean something from it.
Nine Volt

Next

Return to Technique