Dark, industrial sounds

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Dark, industrial sounds

Postby Nine Volt » 23 Jan 2013 05:25

Simply put, how does one go about making dark, industrial-ish sounds. Not industrial like the genre, but the style, I suppose. Like this:

(Yes I know Varien did a breakdown of this song)

So basically something kinda like that. Dark, creepy, almost cinematic. I just kinda want to take a break from upbeat stuff for a while :/

(sorry if this isn't specific enough for anyone to help)
(also sorry if there's stuff in the how to make music thread, I wanted to get this posted before I have to go to school)
Nine Volt

Re: Dark, industrial sounds

Postby itroitnyah » 23 Jan 2013 06:32

I think you could try low cutoff LP filter with a distortion unit or something. I've always wanted to try and make something like this too. Still have yet to try, lol.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Applejinx » 23 Jan 2013 07:02

Anything in this like what you mean? Last Toastbeard someone called it 'industrial', and since I made it I can say exactly what is in any patches etc. Particularly the bass that comes in at 0:55 or so might fit the bill...
http://soundcloud.com/applejinx/cayenne-pony
Applejinx

Postby Freewave » 23 Jan 2013 16:24

That track doesn't really feel "industrial" like at all. Sounds more like darkwave with some dubstep thrown in during the middle. I think the key to make "spooky/dark" songs is using minor chords and some creepy bells + pianos. Distortion certainly isn't a bad idea in an "industrial" track.
Last edited by Freewave on 23 Jan 2013 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Nine Volt » 23 Jan 2013 16:40

Freewave wrote:That track doesn't really feel "industrial" like at all. Sounds more like darkwave with some dubstep thrown in during the middle. I think the key to make "spooky/dark" songs is using minor chords and some creepy bells + pianos. Distortion certainly isn't a bad idea in an "industrial" track. Key is dark and mechanical and making sure the track has some soot on it.

Well, I said I didn't mean industrial like the genre. I meant the this kind of style, mechanical and dark and creepy/eerie.
Nine Volt

Postby Freewave » 23 Jan 2013 17:21

Ok i edited my post as i went way out on a tangent then what you wanted. Key that help is sample libraries i think. Dr. Dissonance does a lot of stuff like this and there's quite a few libraries (free and for sale) that will get you bells, clanking metal, eerie tinkling pianos, and "industrial" sounds if you don't wanna record those directly from banging and recording utensils in your kitchen or a subway. Other key is creating eeerie moods with minor chords, some dissonance, and dark synth choices.

Sorry i misread your initial post, i kinda coasted through it.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Nine Volt » 24 Jan 2013 11:52

Kyoga wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:Simply put, how does one go about making dark, industrial-ish sounds. Not industrial like the genre, but the style, I suppose. Like this:

(Yes I know Varien did a breakdown of this song)

So basically something kinda like that. Dark, creepy, almost cinematic. I just kinda want to take a break from upbeat stuff for a while :/

(sorry if this isn't specific enough for anyone to help)
(also sorry if there's stuff in the how to make music thread, I wanted to get this posted before I have to go to school)

It's a matter of experience in dealing with this kind of music.
One of the things that you'll benefit from using is bandpass filters mixed with lowpass filters.
If you want to use a resochord on some of your stuff set to a minor (or even a 5th based off of the 4th) you'll get further in regards to the general feel of the pads.

Positioning?
Whatever you have going with cymbals should be reciporocated to keep things balance and drums should vary intensely from one side to the other. (Obviously this is just in general) and unless you're focusing on the more intense stuff, you're going to find some benefit with learning how to keep rhythm without lots of percussion. (Sorry bout' your dubstep history, bro)
Since this was obviously made in Massive (the drop basses) you could go about with high phasing to low phasing instead of keeping the opposite (which is norm)

Guitars are great for this kind of things and you'll find benefit in automating the width of your reverberation field. That will give lots of power to expand your fields from the higher frequency to the lower frequency.
Light distortion on a lowpass filter is also a good ally, but you might want to print your pad and use it as a sample to keep mixing and mastering more "concrete"
that's what I do.

Also look for fun Industrial/Dark drum samples to complement your song in general. I'll lend a few if I must.

I don't make dubstep, Mr. Kyoga :P

But no, these sound like good starting points. As for the samples, could you possibly direct me towards some good/decent ones? I've got some Cybernetik one that was free, but that's about it for dark samples. I also have the deadmau5 Xfer which has nice miscellaneous samples like glass and metal and whatnot.
Nine Volt

Postby nOk » 29 Jan 2013 10:25

If you truely want some dark/ creepy sounds, try slowing down some harsh sounds and slapping it with lots of reverb. Distortion is also good, but not excessive. I made this a while ago. It's a dark ambient thing so it's not entirely what you're looking for but it was entirely made from samples I recorded.
http://soundcloud.com/nokbient/apocalyptic-shadow

Try things like a really grindy rotary saw or something. Cant really help in regards to the mechanical bit, but imo sounds you record yourself work and sound the best.
nOk

Primary: FL 11
Cutie Mark: A better username

Postby FLAOFEI » 29 Jan 2013 10:59

Slowing down drumsamples, thats what I can tell you. Then some eq-ing and some overdrive to bring back the high frequencys you got your self some sweet heavy hits to play around with. Open hats and longer kick samples with alot of distortion in the start work best in my experience.
http://flaofei.bandcamp.com/track/gray-zone A track I made quite a while back (like a year ago or something)
with that idea. Not exactly industrial maby, maby experimental industrial? But yeah... Hope I was atleast slightly helpfull. If not :mrgreen:
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Return to Technique