[HELP] Recording Room

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: [HELP] Recording Room

Postby itroitnyah » 22 Jan 2013 20:41

Hm, well, getting a cheap recording booth panel would probably cost ~$100, so I'm guessing that's out of the price range, but I'm fairly certain that the blankets won't help. As for the pop filter, I've heard that a kleenex works ok, but you can buy a cheap pop filter from Best Buy or somewhere for ~$20. You'd have to tell us more about your budget, but for now it looks like that's the best you can do. Face away from the wall when recording though, it'll help with reducing some of the reflections. But your recordings sound fine to me, you'd have to put up a sample of your singing, and until then I'm convinced that you just need a proper pop filter and to face away from the wall when recording.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 22 Jan 2013 21:09

Alright, then I guess that's what you have to work with. But tell me how well a kleenex works as a pop filter, lol
itroitnyah

Postby the4thImpulse » 22 Jan 2013 23:53

TheBronyChip wrote:my budget is random shit i find around my home 3:

Since your budget is the lint in your empty pockets I suggest keep going the blanket and pillow route.

For recording, it will work, it will make a good difference, and it won;t be as bad as you may think it is. Now for mixing wise (after you've recorded and are mixing your song together) blankets covering the walls just won't do it, they will more likely make your monitoring situation worse because they absorb sound at a very uneven level.

Try to work on enclosing your self in a, comfortable, blanket fort. Instead of singing into blankets on a wall try to hang a blanket behind you so the mic is more or less surrounded by blankets at least at its height.

If you have access to a walk-in closet 'filled' with clothes then your work is done for you as those cloths will do a great job reducing flutter echos like a room of its size produce.

When you do have spendable money try looking into this, my experience with them has been pretty good and the price is very reasonable for its effect.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby itroitnyah » 23 Jan 2013 09:05

Yes, shut it. People will hear you singing and they will laugh and you will be embarrassed. Or that's how I imagine it. I imagine glass is pretty reflective, so try putting a blanket over it
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 24 Jan 2013 13:50

TheBronyChip wrote:i dont even have kleenex xD i heard pillows work i'll give that a try later

You can put a sock over your mic. I do it, it works well. Looks ridiculous though :lol:
Nine Volt

Postby the4thImpulse » 24 Jan 2013 13:54

itroitnyah wrote:I imagine glass is pretty reflective, so try putting a blanket over it

It may be slightly more reflective then a wall, you would never hear the difference a small window makes, a room filled with glass/windows on the other hand would sound more 'lively'.

But, yes, cover it up.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Return to Technique