how does into hardstyle?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

how does into hardstyle?

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 21 Jan 2013 23:50

Right! For a little while now, I've been thinking about making Hardstyle. So, that being said, I have no experience with it whatsoever and I'd really appreciate a couple pointers.

I'm fine for leads and all, but it's things like revers basses and making kicks that puzzle me. Keep in mind I only really have massive at present, which kinda limits me a bit, but I haven't got enough to spend on other VST's right now. I know that 3xosc is apparently usable for Hardstyle kicks and the like, but still.

halp. pls.

...inb4 Icky shows up and slaps me <.<
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Re: how does into hardstyle?

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 22 Jan 2013 00:05

of lawdy...this'll take me a while XD but thanks, I'll watch later
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Icky » 22 Jan 2013 03:39

I'll be home in a few hours, prepare for imminent slapping.
Icky

Postby Watashig » 22 Jan 2013 03:44

This may help, though I don't know much myself...
AKA "Wata"
Watashig

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 22 Jan 2013 04:26

Icky wrote:I'll be home in a few hours, prepare for imminent slapping.

but I have sandwiches for you D:

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby itroitnyah » 22 Jan 2013 06:31

Apply CamelCrusher to kick and turn compressor phat mode on, compress to taste or until it fits the style of kick you're looking for. CamelCrusher is free too, so that's a bonus
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Icky » 22 Jan 2013 09:03

Often I am asked, how does one truly make hardstyle?

Hardstyle is a harddance subgenre that combines hardcore influences like raw distorted sounds, with more melodic dance. BPM is usually 150.

Nustyle Kick
Nustyle kick example

The most distinct thing about hardstyle is probably it's kickdrum sound. The most commonly used one is the "nustyle kick", a distorted 909 drumsound. Instead of having a seperate bassline the kick actually acts as bass as well. To create this kind of sound I'd recommend using a drummachine VST like Drumazon, EKS-9 or Hydra. You can also synthesize your own kick in 3xOsc but it's a lot more work.

Once you have a basic kick sound going on, start distorting it a bit. I myself use plugins like Camelphat3, Blood Overdrive, even FL fast dist. Be sure not to overdo the distortion or you'll wreck your kick. Hardstyle kicks are a lot more controlled than hardcore or speedcore kicks. Be sure to EQ it a lot as well. At one point resample it, save your current project, import that kick, and work on it some more. Keep repeating this process untill you achieve a good sounding kick. Occasionally filter out the resonant frequencies, this will make your kick sound a lot cleaner.

This is a video of Ellie from the Toneshifterz showing you the process I just described. You can imagine this can take a pretty long time to get right. It's pretty much the hardest part of creating hardstyle, but keep at it and you'll get better at it. It's still a lot of trial and error me as well.

Important: If you plan on pitching your kick DONT USE THE PIANO ROLL OR THE PITCH WHEEL use Melodyne for best results. (newtone is viable as well)

Reverse Bassline
Rev bassline example

The reverse bass is an offbeat bassline with harsh mid range. Although it's not used as often as the nustyle kick, it still definitely has it's place in hardstyle. There are many way to get a rev bass sound. Some people will simply use a synth to create a offbeat bassline with saws and squares, then EQ and dist it to make it sound a lot more raw. More commonly people reverse, fade in, or sidechain a nustyle kick. Basically, use the tail end ass offbeat bassline.
Here's how I made my reverse bass in Oh Yes! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52883961/rever ... xample.mp3

Screeches
Screech example, more modern screech example

Ahh the screech, that signature hardstyle sound. Although there are many different sounding ones they're all achieved mostly using the same technique. Typical screeches will use hypersaws, but feel free to experiment with different sound. You will want to link an envelope to the main pitch, then mess with that. Be sure to include slight attack for that little edge. That's basically it. Be sure to add some reverb and EQ it.

Most other stuff is pretty straight forward, supersaw leads, breakdowns with pads and strings, the usual haha. It's probably best to listen to a lot of hardstyle to get a better idea on this sorta thing. http://www.youtube.com/user/thehardstyleznl is a great place to start.

Hope it helped, if you have any questions feel free to ask them, I'll probably be watching this thread like a hawk haha.

*slaps*
Icky

Postby Icky » 22 Jan 2013 10:21

Just keep piling shit ontop of your kick untill it sounds great really. If you can show me a specific kick sound I can probably give you some more in-depth feedback.
Icky

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 22 Jan 2013 17:31

Icky wrote:lots of helpful
*slaps*

Thanks for the help, I'll start fiddling with kicks and whatnot when I get home. I'll watch the other videos too...when my internet decides to cease it's status as a massive butt.

*is slapped thuper friggan hard*

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 22 Jan 2013 19:57

Honestly the hardest part of hardstyle for me is that damn melody. I can't get those freaking triplets right, and it's really hard to make a combination of dark, minor feels with euphoric, happy feels.

Also, keep in mind the kind of hardstyle you want to produce. Nustyle is 150, it has that distorted kick, and usually happier melodies. More oldschool stuff has that reverse bass and is usually around 140. (YEEEAAAH)

And one last tip:

https://soundcloud.com/adrenalizedj/adrenalize-mystical-universe

Try not to sound too much like Adrenalize.
BOING BOING BOING BOING BOING BOING...
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 22 Jan 2013 20:59

he should make Tigger fan music

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Icky » 23 Jan 2013 01:43

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:Honestly the hardest part of hardstyle for me is that damn melody. I can't get those freaking triplets right, and it's really hard to make a combination of dark, minor feels with euphoric, happy feels.

Also, keep in mind the kind of hardstyle you want to produce. Nustyle is 150, it has that distorted kick, and usually happier melodies. More oldschool stuff has that reverse bass and is usually around 140. (YEEEAAAH)

Well mabye it's just me but I'm able to make a melody in just a couple of minutes, where a kick can take hours of time just to get right. Don't know how melodies can possibly be harder than kicks.

And literally all hardstyle is at 150 now, even the stuff Theracords releases. In 2005 the BPM used to be around 138-145 but nowadays its all same BPM so it's easier to mix. Also plenty of modern hardstyle still uses the reverse bass.

Plenty of modern hardstyle uses the reverse bass in the intro as well.
Icky

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 23 Jan 2013 06:21

Man, I didn't realize how strict the BPM is. In something like Dubstep (130-150) or DnB (160-180/190) the BPM is so lax heh.

But yeah man. Melodies. Dey damn hard. Also, I tend to make my kicks way too distorted and almost gabber like. How do I put tonality back into a kick that I'm resampling so I can play notes with it. (Actually I think I know the answer. I don't resample, so my FX are being added after the original sound.)
XXDarkShadow79XX

Postby Icky » 23 Jan 2013 07:28

Well nowadays all dubstep is at 140, all house is at 128, etc. Drum and Bass is the only genre that seems to have some BPM differences but it usually sticks to 175 as well.

Well that's the thing with hardstyle kicks, they're not as distorted as hardcore kicks. you have to be more subtle with the distortion, don't turn it all up to the max but slowly add more and more distortion while EQing it a lot too. Filter out the resonant freqs to get it cleaner sounding as well.
Icky

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 23 Jan 2013 18:53

Icky wrote:Well nowadays all dubstep is at 140, all house is at 128, etc. Drum and Bass is the only genre that seems to have some BPM differences but it usually sticks to 175 as well.

Kind of a general statement, but yeah, can't say you're wrong on that one.

Icky wrote:Well that's the thing with hardstyle kicks, they're not as distorted as hardcore kicks. you have to be more subtle with the distortion, don't turn it all up to the max but slowly add more and more distortion while EQing it a lot too. Filter out the resonant freqs to get it cleaner sounding as well.

Thanks a ton, for all of the tips really. Hardstyle is a very unique genre, and someone that's more used to dubstep like me can have some issues with it. :)
XXDarkShadow79XX

Postby PrincessAddictia » 24 Jan 2013 16:12

This thread amuses me.
PrincessAddictia

Return to Technique