Midi Controllers with other software.

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Midi Controllers with other software.

Postby topitmunkeydog » 20 Jan 2013 14:18

So I just got an APC20 and I am having a huge number of difficulties with Ableton Live. I was wondering if it is possible to connect this, or any other sort of thing like this (Novation Launchpad) to a different software, for example LMMS.
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Re: Midi Controllers with other software.

Postby the4thImpulse » 20 Jan 2013 14:24

I can't speak for LMMS but it absolutely is possible to connect any midi device to any program that understands MIDI. Getting them to do what you want can be very challenging depending on the MIDI controller and what it was intended for.

The APC20 was made for abletons session view, launching clips is its primary purpose. I know LMMS does not have such a feature so don't expect it it to work the same way. You should be able to map buttons to simple commands on the LMMS control surface, stuff like transport controls and mapping volumes(or other parameters) to the volume sliders on the APC20.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Midi Controllers with other software.

Postby itroitnyah » 20 Jan 2013 17:31

I'd be greatly surprised if you could get it to work with LMMS without crashing it.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Technique