I cannot register Ableton!!

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

I cannot register Ableton!!

Postby topitmunkeydog » 18 Jan 2013 17:16

Hiii
SO I recently bought a APC20 refurbished from Ebay and I am looking how to install it. A disk was included and there is a file called Setup.exe but of course it is a mac so IDK how to set it up. Also the version they gave me is 6.06 so can you upgrade it or whatever?
MORE INFORMATION ON THE PROBLEM HERE: https://www.ableton.com/answers/i-canno ... y-software
Last edited by topitmunkeydog on 18 Jan 2013 20:02, edited 2 times in total.
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Re: Installing Ableton on a mac

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 18 Jan 2013 17:33

Is there a .dmg?
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby topitmunkeydog » 18 Jan 2013 17:38

Nooo. :(
I am under the impression that the disk provided was burned or something.
Another problem I am having is, I have installed it on my PC computer which worked just fine but now it is asking me for a serial number. And I have no idea where I am supposed to find a serial number.
I found the serial number, but it doesn't work. It says "Sorry, this serial number cannot be used for this version of Live Lite 6 Akai Professional Edition"

Here is the message I sent to help support which gives more detail.
Hello,
I recently purchased an APC20 refurbished from the DJ Store on Ebay (here is the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKAI-APC20-PROF ... 4d0839a396)
Upon receiving it, I attempted installation of Ableton Live 6.06 (this is what was included with the device) on my Mac OSX computer. It did not work because the file provided was a .exe and this will not install on a mac. Any insight on this issue would be appreciated.
After trying this I attempted to install Ableton on a different computer running Windows 7. Installation was a success, but then the software demanded a serial number, and the one included with the controller did not work. That number is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it results with the message "Sorry, this serial number cannot be used with this version of Live Lite 6 Akai Professional Edition. Please help me with this as I am not able to save or export files without this serial number.
Thanks,

BROS, I think I may have figured it out. The serial number was for Ableton 8, because I typed it into the ableton website and it gave me a download of that.
topitmunkeydog

Postby topitmunkeydog » 18 Jan 2013 19:27

OK, so I put my serial number into the site, and downloaded Ableton 8.
But I get this message now.
I do not have another serial number, and I do not have my registered copy of Ableton. So why is it saying this? After I type it in it says "
This serial number is already registered to your account."

EDIT: I am so damn frustrated with this software that I am about to just give up. Is there any other softwares that work with the APC20? For example LMMS?
topitmunkeydog

Re: I cannot register Ableton!!

Postby topitmunkeydog » 20 Jan 2013 14:15

Bump
Does anybody have any insight on the problem I am having??
topitmunkeydog

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 20 Jan 2013 16:06

Well that serial is registered to your account. Download Ableton and use it.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby topitmunkeydog » 20 Jan 2013 16:31

Nope. I downloaded the software after registering the serial to my account yet it still requires an additional serial number to authenticate the one that I downloaded.
topitmunkeydog

Postby itroitnyah » 20 Jan 2013 17:34

try entering the same serial number again.

And I just saw that you already tried that. I think that's what you said up above. Well, hopefully this all pulls through for you. It'd suck if it wouldn't work
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 20 Jan 2013 19:29

To authorize online, first install Live. Get the most up-to-date installer for your version at www.ableton.com/account/downloads
When starting Live, you will see an authorization dialog:

1. Click "Authorize with ableton.com"
2. Your web browser will open and take you to ableton.com, where you will be prompted to log in to your Ableton user account (or create a user account if you don't have one yet)
3. Once you're logged in, your Ableton license(s) are displayed in a list. (If you don't see your license, click on "Add a new product" and enter your serial number)
4. Click the "Authorize" button next to your license
5. The ableton.com server will send authorization information to your computer and launch Live if it is not already open. Live will then automatically authorize
Lavender_Harmony

Postby topitmunkeydog » 21 Jan 2013 00:16

For a second I thought that might be the problem but when I try that there is this drop down menu that has no options on it and is probably a site glitch. I don't remember what it said so I will try again tomorrow so I can make a screenshot. Anyway I can probably contact customer services tomorrow and then things will be alright (unless they honor MLK Jr Day in Germany because that's where they are based I think :) )
Thanks you guys for the advice :D
topitmunkeydog

Postby topitmunkeydog » 21 Jan 2013 10:31

So since it is Monday I contacted customer support and they were having the same problem with the dropdown menu as me. But they gave me an alternate solution and it seems to be working now! Apparently it's the first time they had the problem but they were able to easily give me an alternative solution (register it offline or something like that.)
So my software is authenticated now.
Yaay! :)
topitmunkeydog

Return to Technique