[HELP]Need assistance buying an entry-level audio interface

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

[HELP]Need assistance buying an entry-level audio interface

Postby Scherzando » 17 Jan 2013 01:44

Hello all! I'm looking to upgrade my recording equipment *cough*iPhone4S*cough* and have been looking at two potential options:

> M-Audio Fast Track Pro
> Yamaha Audiogram 6

Other potential options (less inclined for these due to only 1 XLR input, will explain below:
> M-Audio Fast Track II
> Lexicon Alpha

Both the Fast Track Pro and Audiogram 6 have generally got quite positive reviews, especially as beginner interfaces. However, both share a common problem: they're both USB 1.1 as opposed to 2.0, which apparently causes bad latency when recording.

So my question is this: does the latency caused by a 1.1 connection cause a significant obstacle (or at least one bad enough to severely hinder a beginning musician (one who is wholly unfamiliar with recording)) when recording and producing music, or is it a minor issue at best? Even better, has anyone had any experience with either of these interfaces?

For context, I intend to use the audio interface in conjunction with two XLR condenser microphones (undecided specifically which ones yet) to record a Kawai 70th Anniversary upright piano.

Thanks in advance!
Scherzando

Re: [HELP]Need assistance buying an entry-level audio interf

Postby itroitnyah » 17 Jan 2013 06:47

Hmm... I can't find any information on the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Could you provide a link to that? I can find a very small amount of information, but that's it. Just that it has 24 bit depth and 96k sample rate. So I'm thinking that M-Audio discontinued it, unless I'm wrong.

The Yamaha Audiogram 6 looks good, but the main problem with it is that it's only 16 bit 44.1k sample rate. Which isn't bad, but you can go for AIs that are within the price range and offer better quality.

From what I know about the M-Audio FTP you mentioned, it's around the $200 pricerange, a little bit less. I would recommend going with the M-Audio Fast Track C600. If you're just in the $130 range, I would recommend going with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Both have 2 XLR connections and have 24 bit depth 96k sample rate. Both also connect to USB 2.0 connections. Biggest difference between them is that the FastTrackC600 can have two sets of reference monitors hooked up to them at one time.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Conduit » 17 Jan 2013 07:09

I personally use a presonus audio box USB, or at least I think that's what it's called. It has two xlr inputs and works perfectly for everything I've needed. I provide a link later.
If you want to use condenser mics make sure your interface provides phantom power, otherwise nothing will work.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby vaceslav » 17 Jan 2013 07:33

I'm using an M-Audio Fast Track C400.
It does the job.
If I had to choose between the two you listed I would probably go with the M-Audio FTP, as I need two phantom powered mic inputs and it seems the Audioline only has one. If you plan on using two condenser mics, this might be an issue for you too.

I can't imagine latency would be too big of an issue for you if you're recording a piano. It tends to be more of an issue for the guys who are recording guitar solos and the like without an amp, are relying on VSTs for their guitar sound and need to monitor the processed sound as it records. If you've got record monitoring turned off, and know the latency time, you should be fine.
Youtube
Soundcloud
vaceslav

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Safety Pin

Postby Scherzando » 17 Jan 2013 08:12

Thanks guys!

@itroitnyah: Here are a few review sites covering the Pro. Overall they seem to be pretty positive about it.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOFTRACKPRO
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... ro/reviews
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/general/ ... -track-pro

I've looked into the C400 and the C600 - they both seem to be the "step ups" from the Pro, from what I understand. Unfortunately they typically seem to be priced $250-$300, which I thought was a bit high for a newbie (if I could net one for around $200 I'd definitely go for it, but living in Australia, shipping usually pushes it out of a reasonable price range). That said I may have just been looking in the wrong places. Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure what depth and bit rate do XP Like I said, newbie, heh.

@Flatflish: Yes, I believe both provide phantom power, though I'll double-check just to be sure. I'll check out the one you suggested when I wake up.

@vaceslav: Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I was on the MLR Skype chat earlier and had a lengthy conversation with some other peeps there, it seems latency isn't as terrifying an issue as the people complaining on the review sites were making it out to be. Worst-case scenario when I'm playing along to a track I've already made is that I just have to re-align it a little bit afterwards. Trifling issue at best.
Scherzando

Postby itroitnyah » 17 Jan 2013 08:51

Scherzando wrote:Thanks guys!

@itroitnyah: Here are a few review sites covering the Pro. Overall they seem to be pretty positive about it.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOFTRACKPRO
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... ro/reviews
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/general/ ... -track-pro

I've looked into the C400 and the C600 - they both seem to be the "step ups" from the Pro, from what I understand. Unfortunately they typically seem to be priced $250-$300, which I thought was a bit high for a newbie (if I could net one for around $200 I'd definitely go for it, but living in Australia, shipping usually pushes it out of a reasonable price range). That said I may have just been looking in the wrong places.
Yup, I checked that Fast Track Pro that you are looking at, and that is discontinued, so you'd have to look around on ebay or somewhere and buy a used one, so the M-Audio Fast Track Pro is out of the question. The C400 is also discontinued as of recently, so that's out of the question. Since the C600 is out of your budget (if that's what you were implying), then the C600 is out of question as well. That leaves us with the Yamaha Audiogram 6 and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure what depth and bit rate do XP Like I said, newbie, heh.
Bit depth is the number of bits of information recorded for each sample. It directly correlates to quality of the sound/recording.

Sample rate is the number of samples taken/played each second, and also correlates to sound/recording quality. 24 bit depth and 96k sample rate is the best sample rate that you'll ever really need since that's really close to the highest quality the human ear can discern. So for the extra $30, I'd go for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby bartekko » 17 Jan 2013 14:14

itroitnyah wrote:Sample rate is the number of samples taken/played each second, and also correlates to sound/recording quality. 24 bit depth and 96k sample rate is the best sample rate that you'll ever really need since that's really close to the highest quality the human ear can discern. So for the extra $30, I'd go for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

I just want to again emphasize that the human ear can only hear up to about 20 kHz and musical sounds are only useful up to 16kHz-ish so for that you only needs 44.1 kHz rate. (nyquist-shannon theorem) but often there will be waves above the nyquist limit and these are the things you need 96 kHz for, so you can record them without problems and have a big cushion for filtering too high frequencies before the output is taken down to 44.1
I'd use 88200 instead of 96000 though for downsampling later
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby the4thImpulse » 17 Jan 2013 14:40

bartekko wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:Sample rate is the number of samples taken/played each second, and also correlates to sound/recording quality. 24 bit depth and 96k sample rate is the best sample rate that you'll ever really need since that's really close to the highest quality the human ear can discern. So for the extra $30, I'd go for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

I just want to again emphasize that the human ear can only hear up to about 20 kHz and musical sounds are only useful up to 16kHz-ish so for that you only needs 44.1 kHz rate. (nyquist-shannon theorem) but often there will be waves above the nyquist limit and these are the things you need 96 kHz for, so you can record them without problems and have a big cushion for filtering too high frequencies before the output is taken down to 44.1
I'd use 88200 instead of 96000 though for downsampling later

The human ear can absolutley hear the difference between 44.1/48 and 88.2/96 sampling rates, there's no doubt about it. It's not a day/night difference either but its there, I know I can hear it, if you can't than I'm sorry. There's just so much more fidelity in those high frequencies when your processors and speakers have twice the samples to work with.

Like you said it's always best to record at the highest possible level, it will you give the best possible sound when you put it through audio processors and then inevitably downgrade the audio to 'commercial' standards (as horrible as they are).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Thyrai » 17 Jan 2013 17:15

I've got a Scarlett 8i6, and I'd highly recommend anything by Focusrite's Saffire or Scarlett lines. They come in either firewire or USB 2.0, so latency is pretty much a non-issue. You can also get up to 96K sampling rates.

Focusrite also has incredible customer service (Speaking from experience). And it's free, unlike M-Audio.

The human ear can absolutley hear the difference between 44.1/48 and 88.2/96 sampling rates, there's no doubt about it. It's not a day/night difference either but its there, I know I can hear it, if you can't than I'm sorry. There's just so much more fidelity in those high frequencies when your processors and speakers have twice the samples to work with.

This shouldn't be a selling factor, though. The difference is so incredibly minute that only someone trained, with studio monitoring - and actually listening for the difference will hear that 'better' high end. Regular people normally can't even tell the difference between .wav and .mp3.
Thyrai

Postby Scherzando » 17 Jan 2013 18:48

Awesome, thanks again guys! This has been a MASSIVE help :D

@itroitnyah: Yeah, though there are plenty of Fast Track Pros on eBay and the like. Same with C400's but they all come in these obnoxious bundles with microphones and things (which could be useful for me, but I'd rather choose my own) which push the price up by a good $50-$100. Almost impossible to find JUST the interface and necessary accessories on its own, haha.

@bartekko and the4thImpulse: Cheers, though as a beginner I probably won't get *too* hung up about all that - but it's still very handy to know, so thanks!

@Thyrai: Actually, you raise a very good point about the customer service, one other complaint that I forgot about until reading your post was that M-Track apparently have lousy support and customer service =\ Taking into account your input, I think I'll turn my attention to the Scarlett 2i2 and 8i6.
Scherzando

Postby Foxtrot89 » 17 Jan 2013 19:50

I use a presonus audiobox USB. (Or something close to that name.) it's around the same price and if I'm not mistaken uses USB 2.0. The latency is really good on it too, I love it.

Edit: appears someone else already suggested the same thing. Count mine as another recommendation for it. It really is dandy and seems like it suits your needs for around the same price you were looking for.
Foxtrot89

Return to Technique