Warm Analog Pads

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Warm Analog Pads

Postby Twilight Enigma » 08 Jan 2013 19:21

Hey y'all, long time no see, eh? Anyways, I've been getting back into music stuff and.... I need help. Specifically, how can you get pads similar to this song

Honestly.... I can't get the sound.... Healp :?
Twilight Enigma

Re: Warm Analog Pads

Postby colortwelve » 08 Jan 2013 19:51

Play with basic waveforms and filters. Most analog sounds are based around manipulation of a few basic components.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Jan 2013 20:58

You mean that pad that starts about 0:36ish? Umm, that's pretty simple, I made a pad pretty close to it in about 2 minutes. using massive, square wave, dimension expander, chorus plugin. Turn the intensity down on the square wave to about 9 o'clock though. Just play around with it until you get it to sound the way you want it to. Also make sure that you know what each of the knobs do as well, so you aren't just turning a knob and hoping. Read the manuals on the synths you use, or find a manual (like if you search the name of plugins from FL in google, you'll find an image-line help site where they explain every function of a plugin, much like this)
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mondogreen » 08 Jan 2013 23:56

Sounds a lot like a Rhodes piano to me. o.o
.....Sorry, ignore that. It's late and I'm tired XD
New track in the works!!

DAW: Sony Acid Pro 6
VSTi: NI Massive 1.3
Plugins: Not many

You don't need a cabinet full of cleaners to make a sick track

https://soundcloud.com/djmon/2-pac-changes-mondogreens-work
Mondogreen

Postby Mondogreen » 09 Jan 2013 00:06

Sinarmonic, spectrum, wt position all the way left. Intensity and amp all the way right/
Chorus, wt positions (left to right) 12, 12, 12, 9
increase attack of main envelop to position 3.
Add vibrato/lfo for wobble effect and you're golden!
New track in the works!!

Mondogreen

Postby Mondogreen » 09 Jan 2013 00:11

Either that, or an addoctaves wavetable. Whatever sounds closer to you I guess
New track in the works!!

Mondogreen

Postby JayB » 09 Jan 2013 01:45

Sounds like one saw oscillator and a 24 dB lowpass filter with light resonance and chorus (or ensemble effect). Pitch-LFO or random pitch for the "ananlog" feeling. ;)
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 09 Jan 2013 13:18

They're not really pads, more of a synthesised E-Piano sound made with pretty simple waveforms. The slight atonality comes from just detuning them, perhaps slowly with an LFO, moving the oscillators away from the 0 point. A little filtering also to remove any harshness. There is also a lot of subtle reverb on it, too. Another way to get this sound, and retain a lot of warmth, would be to record unfiltered synths and record it to cassette tape, at a high volume, then record that back into your DAW.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Twilight Enigma » 09 Jan 2013 19:09

itroitnyah wrote:You mean that pad that starts about 0:36ish? Umm, that's pretty simple, I made a pad pretty close to it in about 2 minutes. using massive, square wave, dimension expander, chorus plugin. Turn the intensity down on the square wave to about 9 o'clock though. Just play around with it until you get it to sound the way you want it to. Also make sure that you know what each of the knobs do as well, so you aren't just turning a knob and hoping. Read the manuals on the synths you use, or find a manual (like if you search the name of plugins from FL in google, you'll find an image-line help site where they explain every function of a plugin, much like this)

Naw, I'm talking about the main one that seems to start at 0:04. Yeah, I kinda have an idea of what to do.
Twilight Enigma

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 09 Jan 2013 19:31

Twilight Enigma wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:You mean that pad that starts about 0:36ish? Umm, that's pretty simple, I made a pad pretty close to it in about 2 minutes. using massive, square wave, dimension expander, chorus plugin. Turn the intensity down on the square wave to about 9 o'clock though. Just play around with it until you get it to sound the way you want it to. Also make sure that you know what each of the knobs do as well, so you aren't just turning a knob and hoping. Read the manuals on the synths you use, or find a manual (like if you search the name of plugins from FL in google, you'll find an image-line help site where they explain every function of a plugin, much like this)

Naw, I'm talking about the main one that seems to start at 0:04. Yeah, I kinda have an idea of what to do.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Read what I said.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Applejinx » 09 Jan 2013 19:56

Mondogreen wrote:Sounds a lot like a Rhodes piano to me. o.o
.....Sorry, ignore that. It's late and I'm tired XD

Sounds like a Rhodes to me too.

Sounds like a Rhodes into some kind of analog delay that has a vibrato on it, like a Deluxe Memory Man. The way the highs are trashed sounds very Memory Man to me, and the vibrato sounds like that too. There's some regeneration but not lots and it's a pretty fast delay, and then it's chorusing on not a very quick rate so there's a mass of quick echoes acting like a reverb, but they're all pitch shifting slightly, just to thicken it. And no dry at all, all wet.
Applejinx

Postby itroitnyah » 09 Jan 2013 20:24

Yeah, pretty much what Lav said though. But I'm pretty sure that you don't have the equipment to record the sound onto cassette then put it back into your daw, lol :P
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 09 Jan 2013 21:06

itroitnyah wrote:Yeah, pretty much what Lav said though. But I'm pretty sure that you don't have the equipment to record the sound onto cassette then put it back into your daw, lol :P

who needs equipment when there's software.
http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/

under plug-ins the one called Ferox pretends it's a tape. How effectively it actually simulates it, idk.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Twilight Enigma » 09 Jan 2013 21:14

Lavender_Harmony wrote:
Twilight Enigma wrote:

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Read what I said.

Oh... I thought you were referring to what itroitnyah was talking about. Sorry about that then...

itroitnyah wrote:Yeah, pretty much what Lav said though. But I'm pretty sure that you don't have the equipment to record the sound onto cassette then put it back into your daw, lol :P

Honestly, the "tape sound" is not hard to do at all. I mean, it wont sound "perfect" but you can get "close enough" in Ableton (or any DAW for that matter.)
Twilight Enigma

Return to Technique