Parallel compression?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Parallel compression?

Postby SwissArmyCheese » 16 Oct 2011 20:27

Hey guys, I guess I'm back (I doubt anyone noticed I left however) ;) I kinda left to free room in my schedule and take care of some things. I didn't get much practice but I did get some in.

Anyways

Parallel compression. Could someone explain (like i'm 5 please) What it is and how and where can it be used?

In fact ,on the side...How about all compression techniques and tips you guys got? I've spent time messing around with ableton's compressor and I didn't see a lot extra from it. Is what I see what I get or are there other uses for compression?

And of course if anything is already covered in another topic, link that stuff.
Image I love to talk, Chat me up on the Skypes , IRC, Or just send me a PM! (Yes you!)

/r/MLPtunes
SwissArmyCheese

Re: Parallel compression?

Postby bartekko » 17 Oct 2011 13:19

From what I got by research, parallel compression is a compression that sums up both compressed signal AND uncompressed signal, to make the sound a bit phatter. <le looking for a preset in ableton's compressor>
The ableton's built-in compressor doesn't allow for direct doing of this, but return tracks are good enough, if you don't mind.

and the compressor is not something to have heavy input on sound, it's more of a tool to make sure the sound does not get too loud.

Or you can sidechain, and THEN it has a bit of input on sound: when the sidechain hits a certain level, the compressor adds compression to where the compressor is located. useful for "ducking" one track under another, and making DAT pumping bass
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Versilaryan » 17 Oct 2011 13:55

Yeah, that would make a lot of sense, actually. Having compression in series as opposed to parallel. In a series, you'd have the compression right after the uncompressed signal, so that only the compressed signal gets through. But if you split the uncompressed signal and have that parallel to the compressed signal, you get both signals instead of just one. Assuming you know something about circuits. >.>
Versilaryan

Postby bartekko » 17 Oct 2011 13:57

Versilaryan wrote:something about circuits.

inb4 circuitfry comes and starts his monologue
bartekko

Postby SwissArmyCheese » 20 Oct 2011 15:05

Ok, So any other compression tips? Anyone? ...?
Image I love to talk, Chat me up on the Skypes , IRC, Or just send me a PM! (Yes you!)

/r/MLPtunes
SwissArmyCheese

Postby bartekko » 20 Oct 2011 15:19

SwissArmyCheese wrote:Ok, So any other compression tips? Anyone? ...?

Compression in a nutshell: if it's too loud, compress it
bartekko

Postby Versilaryan » 20 Oct 2011 16:14

^Correction. If it's too soft, compress it. If it's too loud, that's what limiters are for. Using a compressor if something's too loud ends up with some /really/ weird things happening with your volume.
Versilaryan

Postby bartekko » 20 Oct 2011 16:25

Versilaryan wrote:^Correction. If it's too soft, compress it. If it's too loud, that's what limiters are for. Using a compressor if something's too loud ends up with some /really/ weird things happening with your volume.

I meant something completely different but... okay

A limiter is considered a compressor with more than 50:1 compression
so your argument is half-invalid
bartekko

Postby Versilaryan » 20 Oct 2011 16:34

If you use a standard compressor to limit volume, though, the louder parts end up getting softer than the softer parts and you end up with a lopsided-sounding track. A lot of compressors won't even let you set the ratio that high because it defeats the purpose of having a compressor as opposed to a limiter. That's the point I was trying to make, and arguing tiny details isn't going to help any.
Versilaryan

Postby bartekko » 20 Oct 2011 16:49

Versilaryan wrote:
If you use a standard compressor to limit volume

Myself wrote:Compression in a nutshell: if it's too loud, compress it

we're talking about two completely different thingies

If it grows too loud is my meaning.

and how can you get high volumes to be quieter than quiet ones? or do I interpret "soft" wrong? or you are talking about different compressors? Maxwell here asked about all the compression techniques, I told him about a non-parallel compressor, and if you meant parallel compressor, we got ourselves wrong

EDIT: actually, I can't even understand myself at this point, so it's perfectly normal
bartekko

Postby Versilaryan » 20 Oct 2011 17:24

What a compressor does is it takes anything that gets louder than the threshold and decreases its volume. If that threshhold is too low, though, and the ratio is high, it will decrease the loud volumes to a point where they're actually softer than the softer sounds, so where it gets louder, it'll be soft, then become loud again where it's supposed to get softer. That's why you don't use a compressor to limit things that are too loud, because it'll either make them louder or give you that really weird effect you probably don't want.
Versilaryan

Postby ismbof » 20 Oct 2011 19:30

This argument is hilarious! LOL! I have no idea what you guys are talking about, well maybe a little. I guess I use compressors for both of the uses your talking about, then. I usually mess with compressors until it sounds good most of the time.

I need to look deeper into this subject. Maybe you can explain in video to this guy.
ismbof

Postby SwissArmyCheese » 20 Oct 2011 20:32

Eh, Arguments.

ismbof wrote:This argument is hilarious! LOL! I have no idea what you guys are talking about, well maybe a little. I guess I use compressors for both of the uses your talking about, then. I usually mess with compressors until it sounds good most of the time.

I need to look deeper into this subject. Maybe you can explain in video to this guy.

Nice to meet you ismbof, I don't believe I've seen you around here before, but It's nice to meet someone new.

Well, I tried creating a test beat that had some regular un-mixed 'values', And a really low bass that I wanted to make louder. Basically the way I'm seeing it as; If highs are too loud, compress down. If lows aren't loud enough, add some of gain? Correct usage or am I going about this wrong?

/r/MLPtunes
SwissArmyCheese

Postby Versilaryan » 20 Oct 2011 21:43

Compression compresses all volume, not just certain frequencies, and gain just refers to making something louder.

What you're talking about is equalizing, or EQ. Basically, using an EQ, you can make certain frequencies louder or softer depending on what you need. So in your case, you'd lower some of the high frequencies and boost some lower frequencies. If you ask Orchestral Design, he's got a pretty lengthy tutorial video on mixing and using EQ and stuff.

You could also just adjust the volume of the different instruments -- in fact, it's best to do that as the first stage of mixing. If you need to up the bass, make everything but the bass softer. For more specific things, like making a kick drum more easily heard, there are a handful of other tricks to help you get that done.

EDIT: I probably should've mentioned this about compressors above.

You can use compressors to make things softer -- their primary use is to balance out sounds, make loud things softer while making soft things louder. But a compressor and a limiter have different uses, and trying to use a compressor as a limiter specifically to make something softer if it's too loud can have some weird effects.
Versilaryan

Return to Technique