would these be good for mixing?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

would these be good for mixing?

Postby dustysauce » 29 Dec 2012 13:08

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_he ... nes_502544
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_he ... nes_502740
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/earbuds-cx ... nes_505440

I'm stuck with $70 to spend right now and I heard sennheisers are really good, but i use in ear headphones like these three since I hate the feel of most other types. Would any of these 3 be good for mixing? which one would you call the best for mixing out of the three?
dustysauce

Re: would these be good for mixing?

Postby itroitnyah » 29 Dec 2012 14:09

These would. However, earbuds aren't very good for mixing, it would definitely be recommended that you get yourself a pair of headphones instead of earbuds. At least, from what I know. From what I've read before around here and other places, I would recommend these American Audio HP550's. They're on sale right now at best buy, so I'd check to see if they're in and buy them, or order them from the best buy site it they're not in the store.

Yes, I realize that you said you don't like the feel of most other headphones, and if you want to go with the earbuds, that's fine, but honestly, headphones are better for mixing than earbuds.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby cyrricky » 29 Dec 2012 20:35

If you're going with Sennheiser and you're on a budget, the HD 280 Pros are probably the flattest response you're going to get.

Mixing on earbuds is a no-no though.
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Postby itroitnyah » 29 Dec 2012 20:38

Now now, cyrricky. He said he had a budget of $70. Unless he decides he can spend more than that, I think he would appreciate us recommending headphones within that $70 budget.
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 29 Dec 2012 20:44

Audio-Technica M30s are pretty good and they're under $70. They're also not earbuds
Nine Volt

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 29 Dec 2012 21:17

No.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby itroitnyah » 29 Dec 2012 21:21

Lavender_Harmony wrote:No.
Haha, this has to be the best response on this thread.

Yeah, sorry dustysauce. Looks like you'll just have to cope with headphones or save up until you can get studio monitors.
itroitnyah

Postby dustysauce » 29 Dec 2012 21:24

Alright. I figured earbuds wouldn't be the best for mixing, but I was hoping there was something good out there and that someone would know. I guess I'll just have to deal with something different (and "different" doesn't happen much with me).

itroitnyah wrote:these American Audio HP550's. They're on sale right now at best buy, so I'd check to see if they're in and buy them, or order them from the best buy site it they're not in the store.

Can anyone else confirm that these would be good enough? I'm liking that price tag.
dustysauce

Postby soup2504 » 29 Dec 2012 21:29

Ahahahah

ahah
aha

Looks like I'm a failure.

I use earbuds, as well. Then again, I'm quite aware my mixing skills aren't very good. Please don't hurt me.

But hmm... Those headphones that are only $30... Hmmmmmmmm.....
soup2504

Postby cyrricky » 29 Dec 2012 22:23

dustysauce wrote:Alright. I figured earbuds wouldn't be the best for mixing, but I was hoping there was something good out there and that someone would know. I guess I'll just have to deal with something different (and "different" doesn't happen much with me).

itroitnyah wrote:these American Audio HP550's. They're on sale right now at best buy, so I'd check to see if they're in and buy them, or order them from the best buy site it they're not in the store.

Can anyone else confirm that these would be good enough? I'm liking that price tag.

I did some digging, and from what I can find, they have a bump in the 100-200 Hz range. I couldn't find a frequency response chart to confirm, but it you're okay with mixing with headphones that "make everything sound like you're listening in a 55 gal drum," I guess you're okay. Word of warning though, one reviewer said "A good pair of phones should be flat. These are NOT," So I'd recommend not mastering with them.
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Postby Navron » 29 Dec 2012 22:28

You're not going to get any kind of good mixing quality out of in-ear headphones. A cheap <$70 pair of around-ear or on-ear headphones will do more for your mixing quality than pretty much any in-ear type.

If you don't have studio monitors to mix and master on, at least do yourself the favor and get a decent pair of headphones that are good for mixing.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Greenstorm33 » 29 Dec 2012 23:54

^^Disclaimer: the above poster has no idea what he's talking about^^
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
Greenstorm33

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 30 Dec 2012 06:40

Okay I had my fun. That budget is really low, you should definitely save up a little more and invest in some mid range studio headphones, it's worth it. For the meantime, practice mixing using your eyes, and by that, I mean using dB meters, frequency analysers and so on. This is a good thing to learn how to do, although shouldn't ever be relied upon as a substitute for poor audio gear.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Return to Technique