How many of you are actually dedicated to music?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: How many of you are actually dedicated to music?

Postby Magnitude Zero » 03 Jan 2013 16:55

Freewave wrote:I have to think that with the music section as dead as it is

It's actually been getting better lately! It's still not a guarantee, but if you post your song in that forum there's a good chance of getting some decent feedback.

But definitely agree about having a few friends to critique. Don't forget non-musicians can give good feedback too, especially on your composition.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Stu Beef » 03 Jan 2013 17:06

I'm trying to give more feedback in the music section! I don't make electronic myself though, so advice there is limited.

As for having friends critique, I find that those that LISTEN to lots of music but don't really make anything themselves are the most critical. They're the perfect combination of informed and uninvolved to be total dicks to your tracks. Everything said should be taken with a grain of salt though.
Stu Beef

Postby Nine Volt » 03 Jan 2013 17:42

I've personally been trying to go to the music section and post some serious critique on at least one or two songs that have none. Also, I'm trying to stay on topic more. Go me! :D
Nine Volt

Postby cplbradley » 03 Jan 2013 18:16

Well, music is my entire life.
I don't come to the forums very often cause I have no desire to. I do however, spend many hours every day in my studio working on music.
I've been really busy trying to work on an entire album recently, but I plan on coming here more often.
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby Sonarch » 03 Jan 2013 19:47

I think i'll make it a goal to critique or provide some advice on a few songs every week. Maybe Friday can be advice day. That would be cool.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Omnomnomnom » 04 Jan 2013 23:49

Kyoga wrote:I just wish we had less EDM (or at least more other stuff)

Precisely what I had in mind. If this forum had some more in the way of classical (and I mean classical in a VERY broad definition, NOT just the era of Schubert, Beethoven, and the like; anything from baroque to latin-jazz, whatever), I would be listening and critiquing like there's no tomorrow.

The only thing that irks me is that I rarely find anything that is solely instrumental (not to mention live playing! THAT would be nice!), and that there's EDM around every corner.

I don't mean to be "stuck-up" or overly conservative, but I just find that there is a huge imbalance in genres on this forum.
I'm always half-asleep, and I hate dubstep.
Also, you know that other, way more awesome Nomnom guy who shows up on EQD sometimes? THAT PERSON IS NOT ME.
We just happen to have similar pseudonyms.
Omnomnomnom

Postby Nine Volt » 04 Jan 2013 23:51

Omnomnomnom wrote:
Kyoga wrote:I just wish we had less EDM (or at least more other stuff)

Precisely what I had in mind. If this forum had some more in the way of classical (and I mean classical in a VERY broad definition, NOT just the era of Schubert, Beethoven, and the like; anything from baroque to latin-jazz, whatever), I would be listening and critiquing like there's no tomorrow.

The only thing that irks me is that I rarely find anything that is solely instrumental (not to mention live playing! THAT would be nice!), and that there's EDM around every corner.

I don't mean to be "stuck-up" or overly conservative, but I just find that there is a huge imbalance in genres on this forum.

Because people like EDM. Not everybody likes orchestral.
I suppose in the same vein not everybody likes EDM, but EDM lovers far outnumber orchestral lovers.
Nine Volt

Postby Sonarch » 04 Jan 2013 23:57

Omnomnomnom wrote:The only thing that irks me is that I rarely find anything that is solely instrumental (not to mention live playing! THAT would be nice!)

Dude that is exactly what I am working on right now omg
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Omnomnomnom » 05 Jan 2013 00:07

Sonarch wrote:
Omnomnomnom wrote:The only thing that irks me is that I rarely find anything that is solely instrumental (not to mention live playing! THAT would be nice!)

As in live playing? :D
Or samples? :/

Either, way, we need more of it. :)
Also, you know that other, way more awesome Nomnom guy who shows up on EQD sometimes? THAT PERSON IS NOT ME.
Omnomnomnom

Postby PonE-Sharp » 05 Jan 2013 00:09

I guess I should be proud that music related boards are the only ones I visit? I've certainly never come here to chat it up. I always have a question or try to help others, though I do rush to ask people for help rather than try to sort things out myself.
Find me here:

youtube.com/user/coltsuke
League of Legends: Zarfall (Or PrìncessCelestia. Both work apparently.)
Steam ID: Trentul
DeviantArt: Zarfall
PonE-Sharp

Postby Sonarch » 05 Jan 2013 00:32

Omnomnomnom wrote:
Sonarch wrote:

As in live playing? :D
Or samples? :/

Either, way, we need more of it. :)

Yeah, i'm going to try and do a classical-guitar style cover of Makkon's Waltz for Trixie, so i've been writing out all the midi notes into sheet music so I can read it. It'll be in several parts, and i'll do each one separately, like a one-man ensemble. I'm excited because i'm getting down the last part for the rough version of the sheet music. After that i'll clean it up and get all the notes in the right timing and i'll be able to start recording. :D

Hopefully it'll sound cool.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Omnomnomnom » 05 Jan 2013 10:06

Nine Volt wrote:Because people like EDM. Not everybody likes orchestral.
I suppose in the same vein not everybody likes EDM, but EDM lovers far outnumber orchestral lovers.

Ahem. I said everything from Baroque to latin-jazz... that would include many, many genres...
But orchestral is just music played by an orchestra. I deliberately stated that I would enjoy genres beyond that of Beethoven & Co.

Surely there must be some jazz, dixieland, renaissance, romantic-era, concert/big band, baroque, classical (in the traditional sense), latin, or ethnic fans here?
Omnomnomnom

Postby Freewave » 05 Jan 2013 11:08

^ defintiely i think there's gap for and niche audience that would love this but you'd also have to incorporate the show in some how. There's a lot of Pony Jazz and I've heard a fair bit of Orchestral (although Stars in Autumn has gone to EDM and Makkon's output has lessened).

http://bronymusiciandirectory.blogspot. ... ction.html

There is definitely a lot of room for exploring subgenres in this scene in fact i think for those who may love a subgenre that others have not delved into there's a lot of room for recognitiion (kinda like Kyoga has found with dark ambient) in thsi community. Not a lot of brony fans KNOW music yet so bringing anything new to the table will make a big difference.

A few have https://docs.google.com/document/d/12pM ... w?sle=true

Then again you can't do big band if you don't HAVE a big band. You can emulate swing music but most of the swing I've heard has been electroswing just as most of the disco i've heard has been disco house/french house. People are having a hard time going all the way. Many times doing music requires more than an individual and there's so few bands in brony music.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Nine Volt » 05 Jan 2013 11:50

Omnomnomnom wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:Because people like EDM. Not everybody likes orchestral.

Ahem. I said everything from Baroque to latin-jazz... that would include many, many genres...
But orchestral is just music played by an orchestra. I deliberately stated that I would enjoy genres beyond that of Beethoven & Co.

Surely there must be some jazz, dixieland, renaissance, romantic-era, concert/big band, baroque, classical (in the traditional sense), latin, or ethnic fans here?

I'm not saying there's not fans, I have nothing against any of those genres and I personally find jazz to be pretty enjoyable.

But not a lot of people produce it, probably partly due to the fact that EDM is easier to produce than non-EDM. Not saying it's easy, but it at least seems to be easier.

I suppose I should have said non-EDM instead of orchestral though :P
Nine Volt

Postby Omnomnomnom » 05 Jan 2013 12:16

To the two relevant posts above this one:

All very valid points, yes. I understand that there are many limitations, especially pertaining to group work:
Freewave wrote:Many times doing music requires more than an individual and there's so few bands in brony music.
Haha, yes, bands would be nice. Too many people working solo here (including me).

I wholeheartedly concur. There are innumerable difficulties in creating certain genres of music, many of which are within the Non-EDM realms.

And what results from all this, is that, where non-EDM does get some input on this forum, it is relatively limited; yet there is never a lack of EDM, rather, it is heavily saturated.
This, I feel, limits some people's advice on the Music subforum. With such disproportional musical input from the community, I, and perhaps others, don't have much of a motive to critique in areas unfamiliar to ourselves.
Omnomnomnom

Postby the4thImpulse » 05 Jan 2013 12:22

Omnomnomnom wrote:To the two relevant posts above this one:

All very valid points, yes. I understand that there are many limitations, especially pertaining to group work:
Freewave wrote:Many times doing music requires more than an individual and there's so few bands in brony music.
Haha, yes, bands would be nice. Too many people working solo here (including me).

I wholeheartedly concur. There are innumerable difficulties in creating certain genres of music, many of which are within the Non-EDM realms.

And what results from all this, is that, where non-EDM does get some input on this forum, it is relatively limited; yet there is never a lack of EDM, rather, it is heavily saturated.
This, I feel, limits some people's advice on the Music subforum. With such disproportional musical input from the community, I, and perhaps others, don't have much of a motive to critique in areas unfamiliar to ourselves.

So with all that said do you think it would be a good idea to have two music sub-forums, one for EDM and the other for everything else (as even everything else combined is so small compared to all of EDM)?

I think it could help stop those 'non-EDM' genres from falling down the line because of all the EDM getting feedback. You may not get much more feedback but it will help not having a bunch of EDM tracks in your way.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Sonarch » 05 Jan 2013 13:29

I wouldn't find that too disagreeable. But if we do that, we'll have to define EDM rigidly. Like, would chiptunes be EDM? And trance is electronic, but is it dance music? It might be good to define where specific genres would go (I mean obviously dubstep and house and the like would be EDM, and stuff like swing and orchestral and such are clearly non-EDM), but there are some genres that could be interpreted as electronic, but maybe not dance music, and that's where it might be necessary to specify what goes where. Am I making any sense at all, or do I need to go eat some breakfast before I start trying to contribute?
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Omnomnomnom » 05 Jan 2013 13:49

In response to the two above posts:

Yes, that's not a bad idea. It could be helpful, and if it proves to be otherwise, then there's no harm done. The change can be reverted if necessary, I assume. In any case, it's worth a try.

Sonarch brings a good point, however. I was thinking of a broad definition of EDM, i.e., all electronic music, but this is an arguable/malleable point. Perhaps this should be done at the artist's discretion/convenience, e.g., left flexible, but that could have potentially unprecendented repercussions, though experimentation may be the only way to say much of anything with certainty.
Omnomnomnom

Postby the4thImpulse » 05 Jan 2013 13:58

Besides obvious genres like house/dubstep and metal/acoustic, in which we would all know what sub group they lie in (EDM or non-EDM), I think we have to leave some room for the artist to decide. I wouldn't want to be too strict over those genres that have a bit of both and could be interpreted different ways but those genres are few so I don't see it becoming much of a problem.

Maybe we should not use EDM as 'electronic dance music' but rather just 'electronic music' made with synthesizers rather real world instruments whether sampled (like orchestral made with those sampling suites) or live recorded bands/instruments. Chiptunes would lie in electronic music (EM) as well as most ambient because they are made with synthesizers and electronics of 'that' nature.
(Am I making sense here?)
the4thImpulse

Postby Sonarch » 05 Jan 2013 14:23

Yeah, I think separating electronic from non-electronic would probably achieve the goal that Omnomnomnom is looking for, and it's more like how I was thinking of it.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Freewave » 05 Jan 2013 14:36

Well EDM does feature the Dance in there so stuff like Trance would be included cause it is. Now if you do something as broad As Electronic Music you would accidentally include orchestral music as Makkon and others aren't using real instruments but DAWS and samples packs (thus electronically made still). I don't think an EDM section is a bad idea as Orchestral and Rock are very different but i really don't know where you'd put hip-hop, ambient, idm (which isn't REALLY dance music) if you do create sections. Maybe a few major ones and then an OTHER subforum for everything else. Likely splitting them off into subforums may cause as much drama and would require makkon and the mods to WANT a change which i haven't really seen them indicate yet the need. We haven't seen a lot of changes to MLR when requested in the past (such as a non-brony music discussion forum).
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby the4thImpulse » 05 Jan 2013 14:46

Freewave wrote:Well EDM does feature the Dance in there so stuff like Trance would be included cause it is. Now if you do something as broad As Electronic Music you would accidentally include orchestral music as Makkon and others aren't using real instruments but DAWS and samples packs (thus electronically made still).

All due respect I thought I stated it clearly enough that electronic music in our case should be categorized as 'synthesized' or 'obviously electronic'. Music based on orchestral samples would not fall in electronic as the end product does not sound 'electronic' in the same way 'dubstep' sounds electronic.

Multiple categories for many lager genre groups isn't a bad idea either, every other forum does it so why are we left with only one?
the4thImpulse

Postby Sonarch » 05 Jan 2013 15:22

Of course, will this division cause a bunch of people to complain that the non-electronic music section gets way less traffic than the electronic section?
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Omnomnomnom » 05 Jan 2013 15:42

Sonarch wrote:Of course, will this division cause a bunch of people to complain that the non-electronic music section gets way less traffic than the electronic section?

Well, I don't think that there would be much we could do to help, at that point. Traffic flow is just where people feel like going/posting, and we can't really change that. Personally, that's just something I would live/deal with; I can respect other people's tastes/wishes.
At least a division would prevent the electronic from overrunning the non-electronic, as it is now. It'd be a step in the right direction.
Last edited by Omnomnomnom on 05 Jan 2013 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
Omnomnomnom

Postby itroitnyah » 05 Jan 2013 16:31

How did we go from conversation about how dedicated we are to music to a conversation about the traffic that certain genres of music get compared to others? I'll just guess that somebody complained about how hard they worked on their music and they get considerably less traffic than somebody who works on a popular electronic genre
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

PreviousNext

Return to Technique