How many of you are actually dedicated to music?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: How many of you are actually dedicated to music?

Postby Raddons » 05 Jan 2013 16:33

To answer the OP: not me
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby the4thImpulse » 05 Jan 2013 16:34

itroitnyah wrote:How did we go from conversation about how dedicated we are to music to a conversation about the traffic that certain genres of music get compared to others? I'll just guess that somebody complained about how hard they worked on their music and they get considerably less traffic than somebody who works on a popular electronic genre

Well that's just the way these sort of threads usually go on MLR. They bring up a serious point and then they either turn into spam or a discussion on how we could better improve the forums. In this case for the last few pages have been all about improvement in various ways, now its changed to focus on the music sections.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby MRPPony » 05 Jan 2013 18:56

itroitnyah wrote:How did we go from conversation about how dedicated we are to music to a conversation about the traffic that certain genres of music get compared to others?

Here's a better question: How did we not? Then again that's just common for people in general. We can't just stick to just one thing. Maybe that's why there are so many subgenres for subgenres of a genre?

Anyway, am I dedicated to music? I suppose that can be either a yes or no. I started music productions with nothing but "flexible" loops when I was 10 and continued doing so until I turned 18, in which during those 8 years I kept going then stopping. Whatever the reason may be, it probably was because I had no motivation to continue making music, so for 5 of those 8 years I focused on playing music (orchestra/guitar/bass) rather than writing/producing.
So I guess that's a no, I'm just making music to help control my emotions.

However very rarely do I sacrifice my free time, hard earned money, and make myself learn/experiment with something new if I wasn't dedicated to it. By that, I mean I wouldn't have taken the time to learn music theory (because when you're preforming, its suggested to learn it but all you really need to do is learn what to play and how to play it), I wouldn't have spent almost $1000 on FLS, Nexus, Sylenth, and sample packs like Vengeance, and sacrifice my little time I don't work or little time before I have to work making/learning music. My music isn't that good but its something I put effort to.

So to answer the question: Hell yeah I'm dedicated. For how long, not sure. I know it'll be a waste of time trying to find a full time job in this field but I guess so long I have anxiety issues, I'll keep making music. Fair enough, no?
I am Magical Rainbow Pegasus Pony and this is my music. Lets not fuck about. X3
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
MRPPony

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Blank flank ftw

Postby Patashu » 09 Jan 2013 20:51

Hey guys,

Please go through the first 1 or two pages in the Music board.
Listen to EVERYTHING.
Leave a comment on EVERY TOPIC.
If everyone took some time once per week to do this, then the problem fixes itself :)

Alternatively: Before posting a song, listen to and comment on five other people's songs or more. This seems like a good rule to me so I will do it from now on.

Also, re separating electronic and acoustic music: Is Anamanaguchi electronic (for the NES instruments) or acoustic (for the rock instruments)? Are chiptunes similar enough to electronic to be put in the same board, or non-EDM and need to be put in the other board?
If you can answer both of those, go ahead and do it!
Fami- http://www.soundcloud.com/patashu -Tracker
beep boop bloooppbrrrrr 8-bit music
DAWs, VSTs: I use square waves, does that count?
https://soundcloud.com/patashu/8bit-progressive-metal-fading-world
Patashu

Postby Omnomnomnom » 09 Jan 2013 22:21

Patashu wrote:Hey guys,

Please go through the first 1 or two pages in the Music board.
Listen to EVERYTHING.
Leave a comment on EVERY TOPIC.
If everyone took some time once per week to do this, then the problem fixes itself :)

Alternatively: Before posting a song, listen to and comment on five other people's songs or more. This seems like a good rule to me so I will do it from now on.

Also, re separating electronic and acoustic music: Is Anamanaguchi electronic (for the NES instruments) or acoustic (for the rock instruments)? Are chiptunes similar enough to electronic to be put in the same board, or non-EDM and need to be put in the other board?
If you can answer both of those, go ahead and do it!

Chiptunes are definitely electronic, and the general consensus was to separate it more like electronic vs acoustic, regardless of dance-music-ness. So, chiptunes prolly go to the electronic section.

I have never listened to Anamanaguchi, but from what I know, it may be in that grey area. So, the decision of where to put it is generally flexible to the artists discretion.

Also, the split must be done by a major moderator.
MODS, HEAR OUR VOICE
:P
I'm always half-asleep, and I hate dubstep.
Also, you know that other, way more awesome Nomnom guy who shows up on EQD sometimes? THAT PERSON IS NOT ME.
We just happen to have similar pseudonyms.
Omnomnomnom

Postby Makkon » 09 Jan 2013 22:55

Separating the music section based on genre would be like an art forum separating threads based on medium. It's silly, especially considering that many musicians make hybrids just like I make art with mixed media. Even a two-way split between digital and real media is silly.

I'm not convinced that separating a forum by genre would solve the issue at hand: getting needed feedback in the music threads. What will, however, is the community as a whole having a desire to see others improve. Post in other music threads, listen to their stuff! Give them feedback, and let them know what they're doing right and wrong.

While it may seem inconsequential as an experiment to try the split, if it doesn't work out it's not actually easy to move threads back and forth.

I don't want us diagnosing an illness only to treat the symptoms. The only solution to this problem is to go to the heart: start posting more where you are needed, and post less in the spam threads.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Omnomnomnom » 09 Jan 2013 23:05

^
True, a simpler answer would probably be to stop fooling around in spammy areas and just get to the music. :P

And if experimentation is in fact difficult to reverse, then yeah, a direct solution (read: less goofin' off, haha) is probably the better idea.
I'm always half-asleep, and I hate dubstep.
Also, you know that other, way more awesome Nomnom guy who shows up on EQD sometimes? THAT PERSON IS NOT ME.
We just happen to have similar pseudonyms.
Omnomnomnom

Postby Makkon » 09 Jan 2013 23:11

And that brings us back to the original point of the thread.

Get to work.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby the4thImpulse » 10 Jan 2013 01:04

Makkon wrote:Separating the music section based on genre would be like an art forum separating threads based on medium. It's silly, especially considering that many musicians make hybrids just like I make art with mixed media. Even a two-way split between digital and real media is silly.

I'm not convinced that separating a forum by genre would solve the issue at hand: getting needed feedback in the music threads. What will, however, is the community as a whole having a desire to see others improve. Post in other music threads, listen to their stuff! Give them feedback, and let them know what they're doing right and wrong.

While it may seem inconsequential as an experiment to try the split, if it doesn't work out it's not actually easy to move threads back and forth.

I don't want us diagnosing an illness only to treat the symptoms. The only solution to this problem is to go to the heart: start posting more where you are needed, and post less in the spam threads.

Sorry Makkon but I'm not quite ready to give up this idea of separate music forums. I really feel it could only benefit the forum (if not immediately then in the long run).

Every other major music forum does it, everything is split by genre for the purpose of having everyone's own little place. For the people that can only give feedback on a certain genre or two it gives them a more specific place to watch and post. There's some people here who don't follow EDM and therefore won't critique it, so why should they have to sift through all the EDM posts to find the 'metal' music they understand more.

Your right that it absolutely doesn't help the bigger issue, at best it promotes an easier way to find the music they can help people with, but they still have to make that initial effort.

As you said if people would stop posting in the spam thread and posted in the music section we wouldn't have this problem. Maybe it's time to remove the spam thread, Skype was made for chat room stuff so it may be best for those that car to move over there. I know we have been here in the past, I don't want to gt too off topic, just saying what I think may help in the long run.
the4thImpulse

Postby Freewave » 10 Jan 2013 08:24

Well tbh Makkon has a point that the music section allows subject (pony,non-pony) and genre tagging (trance, house, orchestral) thread titles which allows to differentitate. So if people follow that formatting they'll make it easier for people to review their stuff. Of course more subforums (I still recommend a general music discussion thread outside of technique) would allow some additional on-topic threads on MLR.

We likely should also have megathread for "review the track(s) above you" so people will get a guaranteed feedback and be able to spam their own track. It allows people to step to the stage in terms of showing off their music and also in how dedicated they are to reviewing. I think a million different song threads are part of the problem as few people LISTEN to OTHERS tracks. They see this place as a place to promote and it's not designed that way. Sometimes we work and operate best as a community and individually when we know other people are watching.

[edit] I went ahead and started one. I guess it will sink or swim.

I'll be honest here. I do most of my MLR time at work, and I can't view soundcloud embed's here, so a lot of the time i used to spend reviewing i can't anymore (unless it's a youtube which it often isn't). I feel bad to have an excuse but it really stinks to be locked down this way. I know the music section is one of the biggest problems on mlr where it's not really working as designed and should be a part of everyone's focus of their time here.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby the4thImpulse » 10 Jan 2013 09:54

Freewave wrote:Well tbh Makkon has a point that the music section allows subject (pony,non-pony) and genre tagging (trance, house, orchestral) thread titles which allows to differentitate. So if people follow that formatting they'll make it easier for people to review their stuff. Of course more subforums (I still recommend a general music discussion thread outside of technique) would allow some additional on-topic threads on MLR.

We likely should also have megathread for "review the track(s) above you" so people will get a guaranteed feedback and be able to spam their own track. It allows people to step to the stage in terms of showing off their music and also in how dedicated they are to reviewing. I think a million different song threads are part of the problem as few people LISTEN to OTHERS tracks. They see this place as a place to promote and it's not designed that way. Sometimes we work and operate best as a community and individually when we know other people are watching.

Again it comes back to there being to much people asking and not engh giving. Again I think it could help if we separate the genres more as it will make that list much smaller if you looking at the genre you know and like best. Genre tags were great when MLR was small but it's grown so we kinda need to adapt. We know the current method doesn't work as well as it should so why not try what every other forum has seemed to figure out.

Yes we still need to find away to promote feedback and your thread isn't a bad idea. I think it should be stickied so everyone knows where to find it.
the4thImpulse

Postby Freewave » 10 Jan 2013 10:09

Well let's how well it flies. It might die quickly due to disinterest (like my post Top tracks of 2012 thread). If it takes off and works then a sticky will help. I think giving the people the incentive to review tracks my giving them the ability to simultaneous promote them might be the trick to get it rolling.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Sonarch » 10 Jan 2013 14:16

As for doing more feedback, I went and listened to a few tracks last Friday and I was actually able to give some decent advice on stuff, and i've got it scheduled again for tomorrow, so i'm hoping I can make it a regular thing to go and give feedback on a few tracks every week. This is what I hope other people will do so that when I finally have a track to post, it can get some attention and feedback. That's the only way this system will work; if everyone contributes, we can all reap the rewards. Right?
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Applejinx » 10 Jan 2013 18:33

I am hoping that the music I end up making will be completely impossible to categorize in either proposed forum... :shock:

Since I've got back into synthezisers and even picked up an MBase11 to do a proper EDM kick that I can run through stompboxes and stuff, but I'm leaning to overdubbing a real hi-hat and high percussion (and of course the guitars and basses)

I think my continuing to plug away at this stuff to the extent that people can say 'I can tell an Applejinx track just by listening to it' even when I don't get a lot of encouragement (some weeks), is evident that I'm pretty dedicated to music. I would like to be both dedicated to music and happy about it- but any performer/composer/etc is always gonna be happier with fans and appreciation.

Though from what I've seen, everybody who keeps at it has to deal with remaining unsatisfied- and the folks who do get satisfied with their fame seem to STOP MAKING MUSIC and just enjoy being liked... :?

I met the guy who mixed 'She's So Unusual' (he's criticised stuff I've done). He did a mix for Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA" that got rejected for the Bob Clearmountain mix. No matter who you are some stuff will get by you...
Applejinx

Postby KingTrollestia » 15 Jan 2013 18:10

Very dedicated in all honestly. I'm studying to be an Audio Engineer, someone involved with Mixing, Producing or Mastering music. I haven't really found what i'm good at, though i've been told i'm a fantastic masterer
DAW: Logic Pro 9

Studying to become an Audio Engineer, amongst making kick ass music

VST: Massive, Kontakt 5, Reaktor 5, Absynth 5, NLogPoly Synth

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/KingTrollestia
KingTrollestia

Postby Perpetual » 17 Jan 2013 11:24

I don't even go on here much, but I can understand your frustration, some people think this is just a place to be random and chill. Of course I'm serious about my music production, I have been trying to get better with mixing which a lot of people said was my major flaw. I most certainly don't expect people to hold my hand, but a bit of advice or help now and again is always appreciated.
Perpetual

Postby TheMalenEst » 18 Jan 2013 06:33

I go to a school where you focus on music about 80 % of the time. The rest is just normal courses which we call it in our school. But yeah we will learn about Eq, compression, Mixing and recording :),
My Soundcloud for my Wip's and Previews, but also full songs.
My YouTube Come by and listen to my music :3 Maybe you find something you like.
Deviantart Abstract Art

shingeki no kyojin is best anime/manga
TheMalenEst

Primary: FL Studio 10, Logic
Cutie Mark: AnjunaLogo

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 20 Jan 2013 05:45

I went to a primary school whose idea of music class was playing lil' plastic flutes for an hour. Did I ever mention I failed music for 7 years? Yeah...it wasn't through lack of understanding, more of failing to see the point in learning to play a little plastic flute. Seems silly now, but Tiny Biggles stuck to his beliefs in small flutes being stupid.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Mundius » 20 Jan 2013 19:59

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:I went to a primary school whose idea of music class was playing lil' plastic flutes for an hour. Did I ever mention I failed music for 7 years? Yeah...it wasn't through lack of understanding, more of failing to see the point in learning to play a little plastic flute. Seems silly now, but Tiny Biggles stuck to his beliefs in small flutes being stupid.

That's our school's idea of playing music. That and African drums.

Now I remember why I hated it, but at least the teacher was nice and let me research some notes that were hidden away on famous composers like Tchaikovsky and Cage.

On topic, while I am dedicated to music, I don't go into the Music section because I am bad at critiquing others' work. I can't spend too much time here or I will get attached and start seeing this site differently. That's why I'm on again, off again.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Maelstrom » 21 Jan 2013 02:08

Personally, I don't like to share every single little project I make. I never feel like I want to share anything unless I'm really pleased with what I have. So I come here usually to see what everyone else is working on. I try and leave feedback sometimes, and I like to joke occasionally, but I'm still serious about music. I'm just really picky about the things I share. :/ that is all.

And on a side note, I'm not really that active of a member...
I have a Mormon. I have Mormons stashed around everywhere, in case of a Mormon emergency.
- 3MO DJ
Maelstrom

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 21 Jan 2013 23:57

Well, as for dedication. I'm heavily considering university and the like for sound design. Found this neat place in Brisbane that does pretty much exactly what I wanna do :D

But it'd mean striving super friggin' hard this year and moving to Brisbane at age 17 (maybe 18), getting a job, a place to live and find time for uni.

I'd call myself dedicated if I'm thinking of doing that as heavily as I am.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 21 Jan 2013 23:58

I'm sure sleep and a social life enter into that somewhere.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Previous

Return to Technique