How many of you are actually dedicated to music?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

How many of you are actually dedicated to music?

Postby Navron » 16 Dec 2012 11:31

Alright, this is bugging me, so prepare for a bit of a rant.

Why are there multiple people participating in the forums and Skype, with minor to no dedication to producing music?

In other words, why are there so many new users with 15-20 posts per day, that joined within 2-3 months ago, that have yet to produce anything and/or expect the more experienced musicians to hold their hand all the way to becoming as great as Alex S, Makkon, or any other highly regarded fandom musician?

How are you going to develop your skills as a musician when the majority of the day is spent on MLR, posting virtually worthless responses to as many topics as possible?

It's gotten to the point that the main, "Official MLR Music Discussion Chat," is not even a worthwhile place to discuss music, or get feedback. In fact, I send WiPs to individual people and non-MLR chats to get feedback, simply because if I drop it in the main discussion, asking for feedback, it won't even get an acknowledgement that it was posted.

You don't f***ing turn a cold shoulder to somebody asking for feedback. If you're busy and don't want to give critique at the time, then you tell them that, you don't ignore them altogether and pretend their post wasn't even posted.

If you're not willing to give feedback, and instead keep going off on some random discussion, then why do so many people have a sense of entitlement when their work gets posted? Why should I give a damn about helping you with your track when I get virtually no help from you when I post mine?

If you're not dedicated to the production of music, and being part of a group of musicians to help each other become better musicians, then why are you here in the first place? This isn't the, "Become a famous musician via MLR," type of community, and if you somehow think it is, you're sadly mistaken.

You're driving off a lot of awesome musicians who used to be a part of this community, because they actually take music seriously, and they're not going to hang out in a place that makes music a second priority to participating in random off-topic discussions and meme posts.

Just some food for thought. If you think you're going to get your hand held all the way to the top, or if you don't give music your 100% in dedication and focus, then I only have one word of advice: Quit
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Re: How many of you are actually dedicated to music?

Postby colortwelve » 16 Dec 2012 12:18

All I come here for anymore is the odd technique thread and to check if there are any compilation albums worth contributing to. I do still post my music here, and try to give as much feedback as I can, but virtually nobody replies to mine, even people I've written blocks of text for when they asked for feedback on their WIPs.

Fortunately, the people I met here and remain in touch with on Skype (most of the first batch of TLK, of whom I'm one of the only survivors here at MLR) remain willing to both give and receive feedback, so I've sort of developed my own little circle that's actually conducive to my development as a musician.

I think the issue here at MLR is a misunderstanding of what it used to be and what it is now. It was started as the command center of the Remix Wars, and the big names would post on that and just kind of screw around. Then S2 started, and it saw less traffic until Balloon Party started. That brought in the first new wave to the site, myself included. At that point it became something of a training ground for entirely new musicians and a place where somewhat established artists could display their work. Then came the flood of post-BP compo albums, including TLK. A great deal of the first wave of newbies sort of fell away, because the one thing that brought them (BP) was gone, and about half of those who didn't leave took to spamming. Now we've got people coming in at irregular rates, with varying levels of seriousness about music, but the attitude that this is a site for dedicated artists is antiquated at best. The serious ones spend more time on Skype these days. MLR is a playground for newbies and for the nostalgic few who are trying to treat the place like it hasn't changed from the days when a majority of music posts got meaningful feedback and it was generally a constructive environment.

Sucks, but it's true. This site isn't what it used to be.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 16 Dec 2012 12:20

I help run this place. :P

As for my dedication to music... It's my job xD
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby the4thImpulse » 16 Dec 2012 12:20

No joke, I just started writing a very similar thread I hoped to be posted in a day or two. I agree with everything you wrote there, the old MLR is dead and there's nothing one person can do about it.

If I were a mod I would honestly start day banning many many people because of all the worthless chatter in almost every sub forum. I remember when I first joined and most everybody here at the time produced music and helped others with their music, now I can count with my fingers alone the amount of truly helpful people. Since April that year a few certain people joined and turned the forum upside down and pushed all of us 'musicians' out, now anyone new to MLR adopts their was and nothing gets done.

I remember back then I was somewhat known in MLR as a helpful guy and people thanked me for the time I invested in helping them, if I posted a help topic it would get answered by those same people. Today I receive no help, rarely even a "Thank you" from MLR. If I want help I use skype or a rare PM like most of us older members.

I have been djing for five years now, 2.5 years of consistent weekly performances too, I have been producing for three years as well. Music is my life, I am 100% dedicated to making a career in music whether I am a famous producer/live act or running sound at venue's or studio work for bands/movies whatever. I came to this forum because everyone shared two common interests serious music production and MLPFiM. I really want the old forum and the old people back and I know if things don't start changing soon I will leave and never look back at MLR.

Navron wrote:If you're not dedicated to the production of music then why are you here in the first place?
You're driving off a lot of awesome musicians who used to be a part of this community, because they actually take music seriously.
If you think you're going to get your hand held all the way to the top, or if you don't give music your 100% in dedication and focus, then I only have one word of advice: Quit

This is going to be my sig for the next long while.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 16 Dec 2012 12:26

the4thImpulse wrote:If I were a mod I would honestly start day banning many many people because of all the worthless chatter in almost every sub forum. I remember when I first joined and most everybody here at the time produced music and helped others with their music, now I can count with my fingers alone the amount of truly helpful people. Since April that year a few certain people joined and turned the forum upside down and pushed all of us 'musicians' out, now anyone new to MLR adopts their was and nothing gets done.

I've been doing my best to not only help reverse the effects of the main musicians leaving and bring new talent and potential in. However, I have little free time in my day to spend on here, and I simply cannot go through every single forum thread looking for people derailing and spamming, it would take up too much of my time, and the mods we have are few and little in their activity.

You guys could help, and if you really want to better this place, there's a simple thing you can do that makes our lives a hell of a lot easier.

If you see a spammer or troll or someone derailing on purpose, or anything: use the damn report button. It means we don't have to go through every single thread, and I've come across times where a thread is basically being ruined, and nobody has reported it. I deal with it, and people thank me for dealing with it, but none of those people actually reported the problem?? I can't work miracles!!
Lavender_Harmony

Postby the4thImpulse » 16 Dec 2012 12:49

Lavender_Harmony wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:If I were a mod I would honestly start day banning many many people because of all the worthless chatter in almost every sub forum. I remember when I first joined and most everybody here at the time produced music and helped others with their music, now I can count with my fingers alone the amount of truly helpful people. Since April that year a few certain people joined and turned the forum upside down and pushed all of us 'musicians' out, now anyone new to MLR adopts their was and nothing gets done.

I've been doing my best to not only help reverse the effects of the main musicians leaving and bring new talent and potential in. However, I have little free time in my day to spend on here, and I simply cannot go through every single forum thread looking for people derailing and spamming, it would take up too much of my time, and the mods we have are few and little in their activity.

You guys could help, and if you really want to better this place, there's a simple thing you can do that makes our lives a hell of a lot easier.

If you see a spammer or troll or someone derailing on purpose, or anything: use the damn report button. It means we don't have to go through every single thread, and I've come across times where a thread is basically being ruined, and nobody has reported it. I deal with it, and people thank me for dealing with it, but none of those people actually reported the problem?? I can't work miracles!!

I know you and the few mods here are doing your best and your putting a lot of time in keeping these forums looking as best as they can, thank you. I have tried to do the reporting thing but I often lose interest because I never see any benefits first hand, sometimes I see the thread locked but that's it. I often feel that it gets overlooked or ignored or something because nothing seems to change. I know your reading it and doing something but I never get to witness it.
the4thImpulse

Postby Peak Freak » 16 Dec 2012 13:43

I can only agree partly with what you wrote, Navron, because some people aren't as dedicated as others, because music is only a small hobby/part of their lives. They maybe have a job in a complete different buisness, and take the 20 minutes they have left in the evening to have a little fun at making music, like some people play games or something. They don't really intend to get famous or something (if they do, then you are right, they shouldn't be here for that). And I don't think that MLR should be something like an elitist forum for brony musicians, where only the best of the best are: The newbies are just starting, they have no experience, and the amount of them is just to big, to handle all the feedback that is asked for.
What do I mean? If an already experienced musicians asks 100 newbies for feedback, feedback they cannot give at all, because they just don't know (and maybe don't answer at all, because they are afraid to admit that)---> that doesn't work out.
Lavender_Harmony wrote:I help run this place. :P

Dito. And thanks again for that, Lavender, you are amazing ^.^
Peak Freak

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 16 Dec 2012 13:58

the4thImpulse wrote:
Lavender_Harmony wrote:

I know you and the few mods here are doing your best and your putting a lot of time in keeping these forums looking as best as they can, thank you. I have tried to do the reporting thing but I often lose interest because I never see any benefits first hand, sometimes I see the thread locked but that's it. I often feel that it gets overlooked or ignored or something because nothing seems to change. I know your reading it and doing something but I never get to witness it.

You don't see the benefits because I do my job quietly without a fuss, I delete the posts or privately warn the user. If you expect to see them have their ass kicked publicly, you're mistaken. The times i have posted telling people to stop is when it has been an out of control group.

But hey, if you can't be bothered, then I don't think you mean anything you said in the first place. If you can't be bothered, why should we, if you don't appreciate what we do, just because you don't get to see it?

Enjoy your forum.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Peak Freak » 16 Dec 2012 14:01

Lavender_Harmony wrote:You don't see the benefits because I do my job quietly without a fuss, I delete the posts or privately warn the user. If you expect to see them have their ass kicked publicly, you're mistaken. The times i have posted telling people to stop is when it has been an out of control group.

But hey, if you can't be bothered, then I don't think you mean anything you said in the first place. If you can't be bothered, why should we, if you don't appreciate what we do, just because you don't get to see it?
Enjoy your forum.

When you do something good, most people don't know that you have done something.
Or with other words: You make a damn good job Lavender.
Peak Freak

Postby the4thImpulse » 16 Dec 2012 14:09

Peak Freak wrote:I can only agree partly with what you wrote, Navron, because some people aren't as dedicated as others, because music is only a small hobby/part of their lives. They maybe have a job in a complete different buisness, and take the 20 minutes they have left in the evening to have a little fun at making music, like some people play games or something. They don't really intend to get famous or something (if they do, then you are right, they shouldn't be here for that). And I don't think that MLR should be something like an elitist forum for brony musicians, where only the best of the best are: The newbies are just starting, they have no experience, and the amount of them is just to big, to handle all the feedback that is asked for.
What do I mean? If an already experienced musicians asks 100 newbies for feedback, feedback they cannot give at all, because they just don't know (and maybe don't answer at all, because they are afraid to admit that)---> that doesn't work out.
Lavender_Harmony wrote:I help run this place. :P

Dito. And thanks again for that, Lavender, you are amazing ^.^

We are not asking for an elitist community here, that would be completely unrealistic. We want a community that actively betters their skills in heir own music production and helps people anyway they can, right now this forum is a chat room that discuss everything except music production. If people don't want to better themselves at music and just want to toy around in their little free time then why would they want to be apart of a music forum? why would they even have time for this in the first place?

I mean if all they do is spam here rather ask legit questions and make an attempt to show greater interest in music production then I don't see much good that can come from their presence here. If they are a hobbyist musician and makes the effort and shows interest then this should be the place for them.

Lavender_Harmony wrote:You don't see the benefits because I do my job quietly without a fuss, I delete the posts or privately warn the user. If you expect to see them have their ass kicked publicly, you're mistaken. The times i have posted telling people to stop is when it has been an out of control group.

Enjoy your forum.

I am not asking for public humiliation or anything of the sort, I want to see change and that's not happening. There is more spam then ever and despite all my 'reporting' it never changes, it keeps coming back. It seems to me simply deleting posts is not enough especially with those that continually spam everything. If people want to spam, and only spam, here then I believe they have no business being here ruining the forum for all us producers.
Last edited by the4thImpulse on 16 Dec 2012 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
the4thImpulse

Postby vladnuke » 16 Dec 2012 14:29

4th, brodoggy dog, you helped me out tons with my Balloon party sub, and even though it didn't get in, I thank you for showing me a whole bunch of stuff. As for the wips posted in the music section, I try my best to give everyone pointers and tell them if I liked or didn't like it and why, but I can't do that every damn day. I have to make my own music too. But yeah, I get pissed when I see the music section and the whole front page is filled with a bunch of new threads with no comments. If you're gonna be posting in the music section, at least take the time to listen to what someone else posted there. If everyone did that, there would be no comment-less threads. So new rule maybe?:
If you make a new thread in the music section, you have to comment (well!) on someone else's music.
vladnuke

Postby Nine Volt » 16 Dec 2012 14:37

Haha, I have a feeling that you think I'm one of those who is only here to talk about off-topic shit (esp. because of the 15-20 posts a day thing).

Well, your wrong. The spam thread is fun because I like the people there and it's nice to be able to talk about whatever you want without having to worry about derailing.

I absolutely see where you're coming from though. Believe it or not, I actually do produce music, and it's pretty good (for the experience level I'm at at least), in fact I nearly always have my DAW open when I'm posting on the spam thread, either listening through WIPs to see if I've missed something obviously bad or to see if I think I should add something or whatever.

I send WIPs to single people occasionally because I know that if I post it on the music subforum then either it will get no comments or just one person will comment on it. The music forum is swamped with posts, yet people (I'll admit myself included) simply don't help others or don't even look in that subforum.

And yeah, don't say I have yet to produce anything. Just don't. You're wrong. And neither do I want experienced musicians to hold my hand till I get known. In fact, I really want to avoid that, I want to do my own thing and do it my own way.

I post here a lot because I both like the community and I really do want to help people get better, myself included. It's not because I get some kind of satisfaction from having a high post count.

But I'll be honest, your rant is kind of inspiring me to help others, as cheesy as this may sound. I wasn't around for the 'old MLR', but you all seem to think it was better, so how about we all try to turn MLR back into a place where we can go to get honest, helpful feedback on our tracks?
Nine Volt

Postby Mondogreen » 16 Dec 2012 14:46

If you don't make music, you shouldn't be on this forum. Period. Also, you should have a little experience under your belt so that you can contribute and be helpful. I know that everypony has to start somewhere, and I'm not saying that I'm better than anyone else, but all I've seen since I've been on the forum is either n00bs with n00b questions, oldfags that can't be bothered to answer any questions, and about ten people who know what they're doing AND have fun doing it. The elitists should stop taking this so seriously, and new guys should try learning on their own before asking questions.
New track in the works!!

DAW: Sony Acid Pro 6
VSTi: NI Massive 1.3
Plugins: Not many

You don't need a cabinet full of cleaners to make a sick track

https://soundcloud.com/djmon/2-pac-changes-mondogreens-work
Mondogreen

Postby LFP » 16 Dec 2012 15:06

A critique for critique system wouldn't be a very bad idea, it would both give critique to more people and take away possible unserious/little-effort posts in there.
The problem is how we would do such a thing, you can't have a mod checking every post in there if he/she has given approperiate critique prior to that.

Another thing I've been thinking about is some kind of forum award for people who have been helpful (writing guides, helping new people, adding to a lot of conversations etc) hell even a little title on their name might help thrive people to do stuff like that!

But is all this going to be enough to bring back the forum to what it once was? -probably not the past is after all just the past, but it might just help it in the right direction.

There has been a lot of spam recently (I won't deny my participation in this) and perhaps adding another active mod to the team would get a lot of work done quicker and adding multiple opinions to certain matters (competition always brings the more fair prices ^^).
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby DrSorkenstein » 16 Dec 2012 15:14

Nine Volt wrote:Haha, I have a feeling that you think I'm one of those who is only here to talk about off-topic shit (esp. because of the 15-20 posts a day thing).

Well, your wrong. The spam thread is fun because I like the people there and it's nice to be able to talk about whatever you want without having to worry about derailing.

Why the need to expand the already way to long spam thread with more spam? Why not hang around the IRC channel or make a skype group. Less spam on the forum, less angry rants, more privacy (atleast in the skype group), everyone wins! ^^

Mondogreen wrote:If you don't make music, you shouldn't be on this forum. Period. Also, you should have a little experience under your belt so that you can contribute and be helpful. I know that everypony has to start somewhere, and I'm not saying that I'm better than anyone else, but all I've seen since I've been on the forum is either n00bs with n00b questions, oldfags that can't be bothered to answer any questions, and about ten people who know what they're doing AND have fun doing it. The elitists should stop taking this so seriously, and new guys should try learning on their own before asking questions.

Well I've always associated MLR with being open for people at all levels and I think we should strive to maintain it that way. N00bs need to be redirected to the "Getting started with music" thread whilst more experienced producers need to keep the music section alive and kicking.

I do think we should take this seriously because MLR has a LOT of potential but right now we may be heading in the wrong direction.

LFP wrote:A critique for critique system wouldn't be a very bad idea, it would both give critique to more people and take away possible unserious/little-effort posts in there.
The problem is how we would do such a thing, you can't have a mod checking every post in there if he/she has given approperiate critique prior to that.

Another thing I've been thinking about is some kind of forum award for people who have been helpful (writing guides, helping new people, adding to a lot of conversations etc) hell even a little title on their name might help thrive people to do stuff like that!

But is all this going to be enough to bring back the forum to what it once was? -probably not the past is after all just the past, but it might just help it in the right direction.

There has been a lot of spam recently (I won't deny my participation in this) and perhaps adding another active mod to the team would get a lot of work done quicker and adding multiple opinions to certain matters (competition always brings the more fair prices ^^).

Both a forum award and critique system would be great additions. Perhaps have the community vote on the usefulness of guides and critique instead of dumping more work on the mods. And maybe it's time to add more mods to the team if it's hard for them to keep up.

I don't think anyone wants the forum reversed back to how it was. That will never happen but I think most of us want a more serious and helpful climate.
DrSorkenstein

Postby Nine Volt » 16 Dec 2012 15:17

Yeah, I think we need a few more active mods. Lavender, Stars, and Makkon are the only ones regularly active
Nine Volt

Postby LFP » 16 Dec 2012 15:18

Mondogreen wrote:If you don't make music, you shouldn't be on this forum. Period. Also, you should have a little experience under your belt so that you can contribute and be helpful. I know that everypony has to start somewhere, and I'm not saying that I'm better than anyone else, but all I've seen since I've been on the forum is either n00bs with n00b questions, oldfags that can't be bothered to answer any questions, and about ten people who know what they're doing AND have fun doing it. The elitists should stop taking this so seriously, and new guys should try learning on their own before asking questions.

I do not agree with not allowing beginners, that's like leaving all the babies because they can't gather food until a couple of years after.

In my opinion everyone who's considering starting music can come here, complete beginner or not, it's just that people don't put effort into searching for their answer and end up asking the same question over and over again, which is very likely one of the reasons people stopped caring.

The second problem is that people hide in groups, if you don't get up to the individual everyone will just cover in the shade of another. Thats what's happening here.
What I seem needed is either a reward for giving system or for everyone to simply pull their stuff together and help out to the best of their ability.

Fortunately, the people I met here and remain in touch with on Skype (most of the first batch of TLK, of whom I'm one of the only survivors here at MLR) remain willing to both give and receive feedback, so I've sort of developed my own little circle that's actually conducive to my development as a musician.
this is a good example of above mention, Skype chats are perfect ways to get feedback trough as most likely two or three people (provided group is decently small) will be discussing a matter. If one person posts a wip asking for feedback. It will now be directed towards the two persons and they'll have to either give the guy what he wanted, explain themself why they can't listen, or ignore it at the cost of becoming a douche in the other guys eyes.

Splitting the music section into smaller groups would improve stuff a lot but the question remains to be answered is still 'How?'
Brony Music Directory
LFP

Postby the4thImpulse » 16 Dec 2012 15:33

Nine Volt wrote:Yeah, I think we need a few more active mods. Lavender, Stars, and Makkon are the only ones regularly active

I would throw my name in for that, I want to see MLR flourish and more active mods could only help.
the4thImpulse

Postby Nine Volt » 16 Dec 2012 15:35

the4thImpulse wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:Yeah, I think we need a few more active mods. Lavender, Stars, and Makkon are the only ones regularly active

I would throw my name in for that, I want to see MLR flourish and more active mods could only help.

I'd volunteer, I really do want to see MLR become the best it can be, both for noobs and pros alike, but I know I'd never be allowed to be one, especially considering the whole spam thread thing :3

But I think you'd make a good mod, you're dedicated and seem to have the right idea.

Except don't ban everyone immediately, hand out warnings first :3
Nine Volt

Postby DrSorkenstein » 16 Dec 2012 15:42

LFP wrote:this is a good example of above mention, Skype chats are perfect ways to get feedback trough as most likely two or three people (provided group is decently small) will be discussing a matter. If one person posts a wip asking for feedback. It will now be directed towards the two persons and they'll have to either give the guy what he wanted, explain themself why they can't listen, or ignore it at the cost of becoming a douche in the other guys eyes.

Having small skype groups is definately an option but how do you propose to get people invited into such skype groups?

LFP wrote:Splitting the music section into smaller groups would improve stuff a lot but the question remains to be answered is still 'How?'

Splitting the music section into different boards by genre perhaps? (Although I fear the EDM board would be overrun immediately).
DrSorkenstein

Postby LFP » 16 Dec 2012 15:49

DrSorkenstein wrote:
LFP wrote:this is a good example of above mention, Skype chats are perfect ways to get feedback trough as most likely two or three people (provided group is decently small) will be discussing a matter. If one person posts a wip asking for feedback. It will now be directed towards the two persons and they'll have to either give the guy what he wanted, explain themself why they can't listen, or ignore it at the cost of becoming a douche in the other guys eyes.

Having small skype groups is definately an option but how do you propose to get people invited into such skype groups?

LFP wrote:Splitting the music section into smaller groups would improve stuff a lot but the question remains to be answered is still 'How?'

Splitting the music section into different boards by genre perhaps? (Although I fear the EDM board would be overrun immediately).
That wouldn't work as you can't keep track of the people in x group, especially as you said the EDM group that is currently so popular.

I never ment to say making Skype groups was a good idea sorry if I made my message unclear I was just making an example, we need to fix the issue here and not pull back into Skype groups ^^
Brony Music Directory
LFP

Postby Navron » 16 Dec 2012 17:04

Haha, I have a feeling that you think I'm one of those who is only here to talk about off-topic shit (esp. because of the 15-20 posts a day thing).

Don't worry, you're only 1 of many, so my post was not a direct reference to you. My only question is, if you barely post music (I recall reading a post of yours before saying you haven't posted anything on MLR yet), then what is your main purpose of the forum? and please don't tell me...

Yup, you basically just told me your on MLR to have fun with the off-topic threads. You may have a dedication to music, but if you don't post it here, and only partake in the off-topic threads, then how do you think people are going to perceive you as?

If an artist never shows their work, then how are others going to somehow know they are an artist? To be quite honest I find it a little insulting telling me I'm wrong, and that you do post music, when you admit you don't post your music here. Am I supposed to magically know you write music?

I can only agree partly with what you wrote, Navron, because some people aren't as dedicated as others, because music is only a small hobby/part of their lives. They maybe have a job in a complete different buisness, and take the 20 minutes they have left in the evening to have a little fun at making music, like some people play games or something. They don't really intend to get famous or something (if they do, then you are right, they shouldn't be here for that). And I don't think that MLR should be something like an elitist forum for brony musicians, where only the best of the best are: The newbies are just starting, they have no experience, and the amount of them is just to big, to handle all the feedback that is asked for.

I'm not trying to put this across as, "THIS IS MLR, THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!" and I'm certainly not advocating that this is an elite brony musician forum. All I'm saying is that the forum is not a playground. It's not a place to talk about how to do something that's been asked 50 times in the past (talking bass threads, I'm looking at you), nor is it a place where the main focus is the off-topic discussions. It's a resource, not a newbie training ground. It's an organizational site, not a goof-off site.

As for the feedback thing, perhaps I should use an example. I worked on my latest song while on detachment, where I have no access to my stereo monitors, car, or house sound system. This obviously makes mixing very difficult, as I only have 1 set of headphones, and some laptop speakers. For that reason, I asked for help by posting WiPs in order to gauge how well the mix sat on other people's systems. On one occasion, I asked if it was okay to post a WiP to get some feedback. Couple guys on the chat said, "Yeah, post it!" I posted it, and the chat carried on whatever conversation they were having before. I had to double check Skype to see if it lagged or something, but it didn't.

Another time I posted a near final version of the song, and wanted to get some last minute feedback before I uploaded it, so I chose a very active chat. I posted the WiP, and nobody responded in the chat. Nobody even continued the previous conversation. The next morning I checked the same chat, and sure enough, about 5hrs later, the conversation resumed, with no feedback whatsoever.

Thankfully, 4thImpulse and Kyoga were both available, and illustrated some glaring flaws in my mixdown I couldn't catch on my headphones. Easy flaws even a newbie could say, "Hey, this doesn't sound right."

I got most of my feedback from Toxic Mario and the military bronies at FOB Equestria, through an entire week or just asking for a, "Hey, how does the balance sound?" Got almost no feedback whatsoever from the musicians here. Unbelievably frustrating when you're sitting with a finished song, just asking for a listen to check the balance of the song before uploading it, and being ignored for 5 straight days.

A simple, "Sorry, I can't really listen to it right now," would have sufficed, vs acting like my post never existed in order to continue talking about drama within the top-tiered musicians.

Perhaps bring back the megaskype, so actual music discussions can be conducted without having to weave through the real-time version of the spam thread?

I wouldn't have improved nearly as much as I have if it wasn't for MLR, but most of my improvement came from good advice from musicians who wanted to better themselves as well. A mutual training relationship. Not a training ground.
Last edited by Navron on 16 Dec 2012 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby Nine Volt » 16 Dec 2012 17:10

Navron wrote:

Don't worry, you're only 1 of many, so my post was not a direct reference to you. My only question is, if you barely post music (I recall reading a post of yours before saying you haven't posted anything on MLR yet), then what is your main purpose of the forum?

Navron pls.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4874&p=55842#p55842
All of those songs have their own threads in the music subforum. True, it has been a while since I posted anything, but that's because I don't want to post WIPs on Soundcloud because I'm running out of minutes :/
Although I suppose I could just throw in a dropbox link, but then I fear people won't take the time to listen to it.

I don't recall posting anything about not having posts on MLR though. In fact, I believe one of my very first posts was a music one.
Nine Volt

Postby Navron » 16 Dec 2012 17:24

Nine Volt wrote:Navron pls.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4874&p=55842#p55842
All of those songs have their own threads in the music subforum. True, it has been a while since I posted anything, but that's because I don't want to post WIPs on Soundcloud because I'm running out of minutes :/
Although I suppose I could just throw in a dropbox link, but then I fear people won't take the time to listen to it.

I don't recall posting anything about not having posts on MLR though. In fact, I believe one of my very first posts was a music one.

My bad. This was what you said in the past I was talking about, albeit a little misinterpreted:

Does that include producers who are bronies but don't produce brony music, such as myself?

So, I misinterpreted that as you saying you don't produce music. Just that you don't produce brony music.

Kind of baffles me why you'd participate in a brony music forum when you say you don't produce brony music...

Also, I'm not trying to get into a pissing match. If anything, the feedback issue was more of what prompted the thread in the first place, and that's when I noticed that there's A LOT of people active on the forums that don't seem that interested in discussing music.
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby itroitnyah » 16 Dec 2012 17:29

Wow, Navron. This is great.

I'd like to say that I am, indeed, dedicating my life to music. I haven't produced a new piece in a long time, and I have two current WIP's. One's almost done, and the other is still in the basic stages. Neither of them will be coming out for a while though, as I am taking a break to study a ton of sound design, since that's my largest weakness at the moment, and if I don't tackle it soon, it'll bite me on the butt in the future.

But, I do indeed spend a lot of time on here. Why? I have a school laptop that I can access MLR from, so pretty much anytime during the school day that I'm on, I'm on MLR, and when I'm at home, I don't own my own computer yet, so whenever I'm not on the main computer, I'm on MLR. Quite a few of you may recognize me, because I do indeed post a lot on here. I do try to help out people in the technique forum as much as possible without derailing, and I also have been helped out when I post threads in here. I've found both the CPU benchmarking website, as well as the pcpartpicker.com website from here. Both have been goldmines of information and help for me.

But I've only ever seen one person who visits here who doesn't make music or isn't dedicated to it.

Oh, and I don't visit the music thread a whole lot because, well, school :P I don't have headphones while I'm at school, and I don't want to bring my current pair, since they're the best I have. I try to visit the music thread when I'm not busy with C++ or whatever else is in my current interests (find a job, for example). But yes, I do agree that there should be more dedicated people here than just the main people that post here that we see all the time (me, Nine Volt, LPF, 4thImpulse... you know, the regulars). How we would drive other brony musicians here, I'm not sure. Maybe we could see about getting Seth to advertise mlr on EqD by putting a link up to it somewhere on the site, inviting brony producers? Make it open to public so that everybody knows that it's here? But then the thing is, that in order to post in threads like the "Music", "Discographies", "Technique", "Sharing is Magic" or "Challenges, Contests, and Events" threads, you would have to either get permission from a mod (so we'd need to get more mods), or need to actually post and produce music. That way, threads like the "Music" thread would be open for all bronies to view and discover music, but only the bronies who produce it to actually make posts in it, so then producers wouldn't get spammed with useless messages, etc. And then the non music related threads, like "Community" or "MLP:FiM" or the art thread between them, would be open for anybody to post to.

So, just an idea, and I don't expect this to instantly happen since it's just a thought or anything.

Oh, and just like a lot of other people have been saying above, I'd be willing to become a mod as well. I have plenty of time on my hands to wander through threads and ban derailers and trolls, and probably whatever else comes with being a mod. Unless you guys have a "you must have x amount of time and experience in music production" rule for choosing mods :P
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Next

Return to Technique