MIDI Keyboard size advantage/disadvantages

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

MIDI Keyboard size advantage/disadvantages

Postby prozeyic » 08 Dec 2012 02:07

So I'm getting a MIDI keyboard soon and I've decided on an AKAI MPK. But I'm not sure whether I should get the 25 or 49. Could you guys tell me what experiences you've had with these 2 sizes? Did you ever feel like you needed more keys when using a 25? I don't have that much space on my desk so I want to get the 25 so I can fit it without having to clear a bunch of space. Also I noticed that the 25 have more rotary encoders. Can anyone who has this keyboard give me a short review please?
prozeyic

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: MIDI Keyboard size advantage/disadvantages

Postby UnderKeel » 08 Dec 2012 04:06

If You making tunes in the sequencer by adding notes and rarely record it in real time, 25 is not bad.
loop =~=~=~=~=~
Hi. All my works here:
YouTube
SoundCloud
end loop -~-~_~-~-
UnderKeel

Postby Nine Volt » 08 Dec 2012 09:10

My 49 key hangs off the edge of my desk by a few inches. I'd say you should get the 25 key if you don't plan to record in realtime. Hell, I usually just use mine for the physical mod wheel/pitch bend/sliders or to hear a sound as I'm building it up.
Nine Volt

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 08 Dec 2012 10:53

I'm using an Akai LPK25, simply because it's super easy for travelling. For a more permanent setup I'd like to get a larger keyboard. With a 25 key you've got only like 2 octaves to work with. (There's the button that will switch up and down octaves, but it's not quite the same.)
Captain Ironhelm

Postby LoreRD » 08 Dec 2012 11:08

I'd always prefer the larger size, mostly because I'm a pianist and feel the need for that amount of space (optimally an 88 key one), but if you want a very portable keyboard, go for the 25.
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby Fimbulin » 08 Dec 2012 11:42

I bought a full size and it takes up the whole bunk in my dorm room. Yeah, I'm turning a bunk into a studio.
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby Kopachris » 08 Dec 2012 12:00

I've got a 49, and I think it gives me just enough room to test different registers without having to push the octave up/down buttons too much. A 25 wouldn't be bad, though, and would take much less room.
Kopachris

Postby cloudshovit » 08 Dec 2012 12:12

I had an mpk mini before I like the fact that the keys size are nice, but sold it cause I needed the space on my table for an mpd32 and so I got a 32key minikeys from m-audio its instead. its got smaller keys though but I don't really mind that much cause I'm not player. so if youre not thats just as good, but I'm thinking it would be nice if I got at least a 49 or a 61 to practice music theory with.
cloudshovit

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Dec 2012 15:31

Well, really depends on what you're going to be using it for. If you're going to be recording notes via midi for a song, then you will definitely want to get the 49 key, as you'll be extremely limited with a 25 key, so you'll only be able to really play a good melody with one hand at a time, which is really stupid and annoying, so you'd want to get a 49 key so that you can play using both hands at once, giving you more freedom to use both hands, which will be a lot easier and comfortable to do. If you're just going to be messing around with single note ideas, or ideas that don't require much space to move around (find chords, experimenting with a patch, or just using the knobs [possibly pitch wheel] for electronic stuff), then definitely go with the 25 key, as 49 keys would take up more space than you'd necessarily need or use. I, personally, have a 61 key Casio that I got from a friend, so all I need is the cable to hook it up to a computer or audio interface when I get one, then I'm set, but I'll be getting a smaller midi for specialty occasions.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Conduit » 09 Dec 2012 00:58

I have both a 25 and an 88. The 25 fits on my desk in my studio, and I can play around with simple melodies with just my left hand while still doing things in Ableton with my right. In terms of space, and convenience the 25 definitely wins, since I can sit it right next to my laptop, and have access to everything I need without moving at all.

On the other hand, when ever I need to create a more complex melody, or want to play both the bass and lead I use my 88. I find its much easier to create more interesting melodies when you have more keys, since you can break the two octave limit imposed by a 25 key controller. My 88 key one also has fully weighted keys, which makes a huge difference in the dynamics.

I think that getting something like a 49 key one would be a good middle ground, but I cant really judge since I don't have one.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Seven » 09 Dec 2012 08:21

I'm using a (really old and really bad) 49-key keyboard, and I find the range insufficient still. I'd say the 25 would be terrible for a MIDI keyboard as you could get the same (small) range with your computer keyboard. (which I admittedly use for bass elements. Sometimes combined with the MIDI keyboard)

If you just need to have the physical visualization of the keyboard: sure. Go for the 25.
Constructive criticism is more than welcome. I embrace it.

I rarely make any sense when I post from my phone. And I post from my phone.
Seven

Postby JayB » 09 Dec 2012 09:32

The 25 keys are only useful if you want to test sounds. For serious playing even 49 keys can be too few. I have 76 myself, but I'm a pianist after all.
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Postby vladnuke » 10 Dec 2012 00:22

I have both a 25 and a 71 keyboard, and I find myself using the 25 a lot more, just cause I use my laptop on my bed.
Idk, it's better than the compy keyboard cause it's got knobs and pads and it's a goddamn piano keyboard. I mean, if I feel creative, I pull some crazy shit with the octave changer, but if I find myself overextending it, I can move to a desk and plug in the big sexy 71 which has more/better velocity sensors, pads, and knobs.
vladnuke

Postby Dabrenn » 10 Dec 2012 17:32

I have a 49 key keyboard, and I wish it was bigger. I also wish I had a small 25 key Midi keyboard with knobs and other controls on it to supplement.

But I play piano and I'm used to playing on full size keyboards so I need more room to think well.

However, if you don't play piano and your desk is too small, the 25 would probably suit your needs, although the 49 would be convenient.
Dabrenn

Postby Foxtrot89 » 10 Dec 2012 22:16

My first keyboard was a 49 key and I felt as if it wasn't enough. If you want to do any sort of left + right hand playing, neither will cut it to be honest. If you're going to be doing nothing but simple leads and slightly fuller chords, I'd suggest the 49. 25 Keys isn't really good for a whole lot, imo. Certainly not real time playing anyway. Perhaps good for really simple leads, but forget doing any type of chord beyond a simple triad. (adding 1-2 octave root notes below chords makes them sound oh so pretty.) And it's obviously better on space, but the 49 would be more ideal.
Foxtrot89

Return to Technique