Free Kontakt Alternative?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Free Kontakt Alternative?

Postby cloudshovit » 06 Dec 2012 20:31

I hate that NKI is now sort of the standard format for sample banks. And the Kontakt player is a joke, you can only use it for 30 mins? Really? Although FL's Direct-Wave seems to work, I just wanna know if there are other options for this. 399$ for a sample player and you'd to have to pay for an upgrade too.
cloudshovit

Re: Free Kontakt Alternative?

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Dec 2012 21:13

It's because of the versatility of Kontakt. Or, I would assume. I've never used or seen it in action before. *looks up more of it* Yeah, Kontakt has a ton of built in filters and effects that put it above DirectWave, and I'm assuming other stuff that I can't see upon glancing. Plus Native Instruments tends to charge more for their synths because they're a larger company. It's probably more worth around $300ish, and you can't condemn them for the pricing, samplers that are as powerful as Kontakt are incredibly complex to code and create. And a lot of professionals with access to places like full scale orchestral halls will make sound banks for people, so that probably drives the value up as well.

Also, I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "You can only use it for 30 mins? Really?" Pretty sure that the full version allows for unlimited time to use it. Must be a demo version?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby cloudshovit » 06 Dec 2012 21:38

The Kontakt Player which is their free version, is what I'm referring to. I have no need for their sample banks as there are hundreds of legitimately free ones on the internet. But theyre using the NKI format. I have no use for other effects like filters as that can be done outside. If only sample bank makers make more banks in SFZ format so I can use free ones like this one http://www.zampler.de/. They should at least just have an LE version, even without all the FX but 399$ for a sample player is just too much. FL Signature edition is just 299 and it comes with an NKI player.
cloudshovit

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 07 Dec 2012 03:10

UVI have a neat Workstation, which works really well:

http://www.uvisoundsource.com/article_i ... icles_id=8

I don't know about the free one, but the paid alternative: MachFive 3, can play Kontakt files version 4 and below.

The 'works for only 30 minutes' thing is for any that aren't registered for the free one. A lot of companies don't make Kontakt patches compatible with the free Player. Look up whether they do or don't before buying!
If they do, they work without the time limit.
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby cloudshovit » 07 Dec 2012 06:29

I'm mostly thinking of using it for all these free Kontakt sample banks that are given away. It's not like I'm asking for a feature, it's just that I can only use these free NKI banks on Kontakt.

I've read a developer saying that a company have to pay NI just so that their sample bank could use Kontakt Player, which is ridiculous. What if Steinberg charge them for using the VST format that their plugins are using and which they sell for hundreds of dollars, that would be fun.

I don't want to start another piracy topic, but this was reason why I once relapsed into using warez, because of NI Kontakt. There are a lot of great or even better NKI sample banks that you can get for free, but you can't use them unless you buy a 400$ sample player.
Last edited by cloudshovit on 07 Dec 2012 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
cloudshovit

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 07 Dec 2012 08:59

This is why I buy libraries that are compatible with the Player, or use another sampler such as PLAY, ie East West, they made the switch a while back.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby cloudshovit » 07 Dec 2012 09:25

since sample bank make has to pay NI to allow its sample bank to use The Player, this means that no free library will ever be supported by the Kontakt Player, which sucks. Anyways I might as well make good with the Direct Wave plugin on FL.
cloudshovit

Postby Foxtrot89 » 07 Dec 2012 18:22

Not sure if it was mentioned, but you can write scripts for kontakt, making it a lot more complex than most samplers. For instance, on the guitar libraries I own, it uses scripts to find out how a real guitarist would play it and fret notes accordingly. On top of that, how it handles legato playing and such is also in the software. It's a worthwhile investment, if that means anything to you. Tons of cheap/free libraries use it, not to mention the high end libraries.

$400 isn't cheap though, so the hesitation/inability to purchase is understandable.
Foxtrot89

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 07 Dec 2012 19:22

Did you check that UVI worked with them at all? I did say that the paid version works with Kontakt files that are version 4 and below, maybe the free one will too!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Thyrai » 07 Dec 2012 22:45

I don't have much to add, but if you do intend on eventually getting it, look at getting Komplete 8 - it's not too much more expensive ($550), and you get a ton of amazing stuff in addition; like reaktor, FM8, massive etc
Thyrai

Postby cloudshovit » 08 Dec 2012 10:40

UVI has lot of great soundbanks but unfortunately most free ones are for Kontakt.

yeah if had the extra cash, Komplete would be a better choice, besides the synths, you also get the effects for free, like the recent ones they just released. I've seen used Komplete licenses sold on KVR but they seem to good to be true.
cloudshovit

Postby senntenial » 08 Dec 2012 17:01

Honestly from my expirience, you won't find a sampling library more powerful than Kontakt, nor intrument libraries as varied. You can find some free SFZ players, but if you are ever serious about real sounding instruments or paying for a sampler, Kontakt is the way to go.
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby Dabrenn » 10 Dec 2012 17:37

Thyrai wrote:I don't have much to add, but if you do intend on eventually getting it, look at getting Komplete 8 - it's not too much more expensive ($550), and you get a ton of amazing stuff in addition; like reaktor, FM8, massive etc

This. Kontakt alone is not worth it. However, Komplete is a great set. I've been seriously considering buying it, I really want all those synths.
Dabrenn

Postby cloudshovit » 11 Dec 2012 05:31

Dabrenn wrote:
Thyrai wrote:I don't have much to add, but if you do intend on eventually getting it, look at getting Komplete 8 - it's not too much more expensive ($550), and you get a ton of amazing stuff in addition; like reaktor, FM8, massive etc

This. Kontakt alone is not worth it. However, Komplete is a great set. I've been seriously considering buying it, I really want all those synths.

you would be all set with that bundle. You have infinite possibilities with Reaktor and FM8 and Massive are also quite flexible.
cloudshovit

Return to Technique