Beats or Melody: What comes first?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Beats or Melody: What comes first?

Postby KingTrollestia » 04 Dec 2012 17:31

As someone who is just starting out making music, I was curious to know which usually comes first in your music production experience. I'm mostly interested in working with Dubstep, Techno, and House.
DAW: Logic Pro 9

Studying to become an Audio Engineer, amongst making kick ass music

VST: Massive, Kontakt 5, Reaktor 5, Absynth 5, NLogPoly Synth

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/KingTrollestia
KingTrollestia

Re: Beats or Melody: What comes first?

Postby Paianni » 04 Dec 2012 17:36

Neither. It tends to be the chords that come first for me, followed by a beat, then a melody if needed.
Paianni

Postby Nine Volt » 04 Dec 2012 17:36

It's all personal preference, but I start with the beat.
Nine Volt

Postby the4thImpulse » 04 Dec 2012 17:39

There's no real best place to start that works for every person and every song. It will all come down to a personal preference that you will grow over time.

Now what I do when first starting a track is to use a drum kit from a previous track (I typically make the house/electro genres), I always save the kits from previous tracks to use this way in the future. I create a quick and simple drum loop and then load in a synth and start creating a chord progression. After I get a synth riff I like I then go back to the drums and build a new kit replacing the samples and re-eqing and mixing them in to better suit the riff.

If you really don't know where to start then I would suggest messing around with synth for a bit and maybe you will find a nice riff to work with.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby KingTrollestia » 04 Dec 2012 17:43

the4thImpulse wrote:There's no real best place to start that works for every person and every song. It will all come down to a personal preference that you will grow over time.

Now what I do when first starting a track is to use a drum kit from a previous track (I typically make the house/electro genres), I always save the kits from previous tracks to use this way in the future. I create a quick and simple drum loop and then load in a synth and start creating a chord progression. After I get a synth riff I like I then go back to the drums and build a new kit replacing the samples and re-eqing and mixing them in to better suit the riff.

If you really don't know where to start then I would suggest messing around with synth for a bit and maybe you will find a nice riff to work with.

Yeah I was thinking about just playing around with some synths, trying to find something that sounds good, then try and build a beat around that. Though i'm not sure if that's the best course of action.

Also if anyone knows how to create some basic techno/House/Dubstep beats to work with i'd really appreciate it a lot :D
DAW: Logic Pro 9

Studying to become an Audio Engineer, amongst making kick ass music

VST: Massive, Kontakt 5, Reaktor 5, Absynth 5, NLogPoly Synth

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/KingTrollestia
KingTrollestia

Postby Nine Volt » 04 Dec 2012 17:45

House would be 4 on the floor at 128 BPM (by that I mean a kick on every beat). Typically there is a snare or clap on every other beat, and hats are used to fill the spaces.

Dubstep is usually halftime at 140 BPM (the rest of the song is 140, while the drums are effectively at 70). A kick-snare-kick-snare pattern is typical, but, perhaps even more so than with most genres, dubstep drums have a huge amount of variation.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 04 Dec 2012 17:46

I've found that starting with chords can help to set the mood of the song, and then building up from there will almost always ensure that the mood of the song stays the same. Drums are sorta something that doesn't really matter when exactly you make the drum pattern in the song, imo, since the mood of the drums aren't affected by the mood of the chords. But the drums ARE incredibly important for keeping the mood of the song. A quick bouncing beat with many kicks and snares in a row and fast hats won't keep the mood of a sad, dreary song. You get the idea.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby the4thImpulse » 04 Dec 2012 17:53

KingTrollestia wrote:Yeah I was thinking about just playing around with some synths, trying to find something that sounds good, then try and build a beat around that. Though i'm not sure if that's the best course of action.
Also if anyone knows how to create some basic techno/House/Dubstep beats to work with i'd really appreciate it a lot :D

As previously said, there is no 'best' course of action. Only the one that works (and really any course can work). Since you are new and have nothing to go by you need to take whatever direction you think of to gain the experience. Your suggestion is as good as any, take it, if it doesn't work out so well for you try another route and consider thinking about why that may be.

FOr how to make beats just search on youtube "How to make (genre here) beats". House is almost always kick on every quarter note and snare on the 2nd and 4th with some hi hats playing 8th notes. Dubstep can be vastly diffrent with all the sub genres so try listening to the song and copying the kick and snare sequence.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby cloudshovit » 04 Dec 2012 20:23

dubstep is 140. 99% of dubstep is at 140 half time.
cloudshovit

Postby Navron » 04 Dec 2012 22:58

Neither for me. I often switch what kind of element I start with, because most of the time I already know what kind of song I'm going for.

If I'm doing an atmospheric, eerie kind of song, I'll usually start off with a pad, then figure out when the drums are going to fade in and establish a groove. Once the intro and groove are set, then I'll work on the melody and chords.

If I'm doing a club stye song, I'll usually figure out the main hook before deciding what kind of drum beat goes best with it.

If I'm doing a big epic piece, I'll usually work on the motif and the melody first, then work on synth arrangement, and lastly drums.

Overall, it varies as much as my genres do.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby LFP » 05 Dec 2012 02:54

Usually melody/chords first for me, after I have figured that our I design some synths and then decide on a bpm style or w/e and apply a best accordingly :3
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Raddons » 05 Dec 2012 02:57

I just cycled through like 3 basslines and 4 leads for something I'm working on. I did the beat first, but I changed that. I'm probably gonna change it again later on.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby FLAOFEI » 05 Dec 2012 15:29

Depends on the genre for me. Though I usually start with a bassline a few notes aranged as a melody, then a drumbeat. Then improviseing from that.
Its easier for me to do the drumms after I have a few notes down since Im a drummer. I have alot of experience coming up with drumbeats on the spot to fit the tune, so I can just make up a good beat fast.
If you have any experience with improvising on any instrument you should do that one second. Its tempting to do it first, but its easier in the long run.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 05 Dec 2012 17:16

There is no correct answer to this and there never will be. It depends on what's in your head.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby ph00tbag » 07 Dec 2012 00:40

It really depends. Sometimes I start with a melody and the percussion flows out of that. Other times, I start with a really catchy percussion riff, then I build a track around that. In other cases, I just have a patch or effect that sounds really cool and I riff off of that.

Whatever comes first, I can say that the writing doesn't start in earnest until I've made the beat. So I suppose you could say the beat is really where the track starts.

I will say that, particularly for house and techno, you'll want to spend a lot of time on the beat, because that will be the most prominent aspect of the track, and if it doesn't have an infectious groove, the whole track will suffer.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Dec 2012 05:48

Lavender_Harmony wrote:There is no correct answer to this and there never will be. It depends on what's in your head.

^^^This^^^

Music is all about personal preference (except mastering and maybe mixing). Nobody can tell you how to do it, you should just go with what you think sounds good.
Nine Volt

Postby Seven » 09 Dec 2012 09:50

Oh, but OP's not asking what's correct. It's asking what we do.

I begin with whatever element my song revolves around. That's often chords, synth design or a baseline. (Rare cases, the actual melody. I have started off with drums as the centerpiece of some songs, but they turned out rather ambitient.) If, for say, I come up with the baseline first, the next step is usually the chords. Then the tempo, depending on the apperance of what I've got so far, and adjusting the drums to that.

Then the brickwall compression on everything. And all the soundgoodizers.
Constructive criticism is more than welcome. I embrace it.

I rarely make any sense when I post from my phone. And I post from my phone.
Seven

Postby Dabrenn » 10 Dec 2012 17:35

Paspie wrote:Neither. It tends to be the chords that come first for me, followed by a beat, then a melody if needed.

This is what I do as well.

If its House, the beat is always first technically, since it's pretty basic. But I wont do percussion fills until much later.

However, for breakbeat, I usually start with a basic loop (think Kick hat snare hat), build my main hook on top of that (Including melody), then go back and add in drum fills.
Dabrenn

Postby Ed Viper » 11 Dec 2012 21:32

I typically set up my bass tracks first and build everything else off of those low-tones, actually.

I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be done, but it makes it easy for me to make sure the melody(ies) harmonize with all the background sounds.
Soundcloud
Tumblr

If you ever need someone to talk to -

That's all I got right now.
Ed Viper

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Charlie Sheen

Postby Borsko » 12 Dec 2012 15:40

I tried starting a song out with just vocals, but I found it hard to make a melody with it and even harder to make a beat. I don't suggest doing that, but it may work.

For Drum and Bass I typically start out with a beat, but for just about everything else I just stumble across a melody I like and go from there.
DAW: FL Studio, Ableton
Genre: Dubstep, Drum and Bass
Plugins: Massive, SAUSAGE FATTENER
Borsko

Postby itroitnyah » 12 Dec 2012 17:09

Borsko wrote:I tried starting a song out with just vocals, but I found it hard to make a melody with it and even harder to make a beat. I don't suggest doing that, but it may work.
Well if you're going to be making a melody for vocals where you record the vocals first, or remixing a song where you the have the vocal track file before you can start making the beat/melody, then you need to record in the bpm your song is in, or change the bpm of the vocal file for the remix to match. I know there's a thread on how to do this somewhere below here.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby BlackElectric » 12 Dec 2012 17:12

I do my drums and rhythm guitar chords first. Then after that I go on to lead guitar melodies.
BlackElectric

Primary: Pro Tools 10
Cutie Mark: Mixing

Postby Nine Volt » 12 Dec 2012 17:41

Melobeats. Melody created with the beat.
Nine Volt

Return to Technique