Mixing with Pink Noise

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Mixing with Pink Noise

Postby Watashig » 22 Nov 2012 14:19

Here's an article I saw on tumblr from Renard. I thought it might be pretty interesting to share :)

Source

BRING THE NOISE!
By Craig Anderton

An unusual way to "road-test" your mixes
Do you want better mixes? Of course you do -- having a decent mix can make or break your music. Even the best tracks won¹t come across if they're not mixed well.

Different people approach mixing differently, but I don't think anyone has described something as whacked-out as what I'm going to cover this month. Some people will read this and just shake their heads, but others will actually try the suggested technique, and find that they're crafting tighter, punchier mixes without any kind of compression or other processing.

THE MIXING PROBLEM What makes mixing so difficult is, unfortunately, a limitation of the human ear/brain combination. Our hearing can discern very small changes in pitch, but not small changes in level. You'll easily hear a 3% pitch change as being distinctly out of tune, but a 3% level change is nowhere near as dramatic. Also, our ears have an incredibly wide dynamic range -- greater than 200dB. This is more than twice the dynamic range of a CD, for example. So when we use only the top 20­40dB of the available dynamic range in a mix, even extreme musical dynamics don't represent that much of a change relative to the ear's total dynamic range. Another problem with mixing is that the ear's frequency response changes at different levels. This is why small changes in volume are often perceived as tonal differences, and why it's so important to balance levels exactly when doing A/B comparisons. Because our ears hear low- and high-frequency signals better at higher levels, just a slight volume boost might produce a subjective feeling of greater "warmth" (from the additional perceived low end) and "sparkle" (from the increased perception of treble).

The reason why top mixing engineers are in such demand is because through years of practice, they've trained their ears to discriminate among minute level and frequency response differences (and hopefully, taken care of their ears so they don¹t suffer from their own frequency response problems). They are basically "juggling" the levels of multiple tracks, making sure that each one is at an appropriate level with respect to the other tracks. Remember, a mix does not compare levels to an absolute standard; all the tracks are interrelated.

As an obvious example, the lead instruments usually have higher levels than the rhythm instruments. But there are much smaller hierarchies. Suppose you have a string pad part, and the same part delayed a bit to produce chorusing. To avoid having excessive peaking when the signals reach maximum amplitude at the same time, as well as better preserving any rhythmic "groove," you'll probably mix the delayed track around 6dB behind the non-delayed track.

The more tracks, the more intricate this juggling act becomes. However, there are certain essential elements of any mix -- some instruments that just have to be there, and that are mixed fairly closely in level to one another because of their importance. Ensuring that these elements are clearly audible and perfectly balanced is, I believe, one of the most important factors in creating a "transportable" mix (one that sounds good on a variety of systems). Perhaps the lovely high end of some bell sound won't translate on a $29.95 boombox, but for the average listener, if you can make out the vocals, the leads, the beat, and the bass, you'll have the high points covered.

Ironically, though, our ears are less sensitive to changes in relatively loud levels than to changes in relatively soft ones. This is why most veteran mixers initially work on a mix at low levels: It makes it easier to tell if the important instruments are out of balance with respect to one another. At higher levels, imbalances are harder to detect.

ANOTHER OF THOSE ACCIDENTS The following mixing technique is a way to check whether a song's crucial elements are mixed with equal emphasis. Like many other techniques that ultimately turn out to be useful, this one was discovered by accident. My studio doesn't have central air conditioning, and my in-wall air conditioner makes a fair amount of background noise. One day, I noticed that the mixes I did when the air conditioner was on often sounded better than the ones I did when it was off. This seemed odd at first, until I made the connection with how many musicians use the "play the music in the car" test as the final arbiter of whether a mix is going to work or not. In both cases the background noise masks low-level signals, making it easier to tell which signals make it above the noise.

Curious whether this phenomenon could be refined further, I started injecting pink noise into the console while mixing. This just about forces you to listen at relatively low levels, because the noise is really obnoxious! But more importantly, the noise adds a sort of "cloud cover" over the music. Just as mountain peaks poke out through a cloud cover when viewed from an airliner, so do sonic peaks poke up out of the noise floor.

APPLYING THE TECHNIQUE You'll want to add in the pink noise very sporadically during the process of creating your mix, because the noise masks high-frequency sounds like hi-hat. You cannot get an accurate idea of the complete mix while you¹re mixing with noise injected into the bus. What you can do is make sure that all the important instruments are being heard properly. (Similarly, when listening in a car system, road noise will often mask lower frequencies.)

Typically, I'll take the mix to the point where I'm fairly satisified with the sound. Then I'll add in lots of noise -- no less than 10dB below 0 with dance mixes, for example, which typically have restricted dynamics anyway. Then I'll start analyzing what I'm hearing.

By the way, pink noise is preferable to white noise for this application. Pink noise is weighted so that there is equal energy in every octave, while white noise is weighted so there is equal energy per frequency. Pink noise has a lower perceived pitch, which makes it more suitable for masking the fundamental frequencies of ordinary instruments.

While listening through the song, I pay special attention to vocals, snare, kick, bass, and leads. (With this much noise, you're not going to hear much else in the song anyway; check out the accompanying audio example.) It's very easy to adjust their relative levels, because there's a limited range between overload on the high end and dropping below the noise floor on the low end. If all the crucial sounds make it into that window and can be heard clearly above the noise without distorting, you have a head start toward an equal balance.

Also note that the "noise test" can uncover problems. If you can hear a hi-hat or other minor part fairly high above the noise, it's probably too loud.

I'll generally run through the song a few more times, carefully tweaking each track for the right relative balance. Then it's time to take out the noise. First, it's an incredible relief not to hear that annoying hiss! Second, you can now get to work balancing the supporting instruments so they work well with the lead sounds you've tweaked.

Although so far I've only mentioned instruments being above the noise floor, there are actually three distinct zones created by the noise: totally masked by the noise (inaudible), above the noise (clearly audible), and "melded," where an instrument isn't loud enough to stand out or soft enough to be masked, so it blends in with the noise. I find that mixing rhythm parts so they sound melded can work if the noise is adjusted to a suitable level.

FADING OUT Overall, I estimate spending only about three percent of my mixing time using injected noise. But often, it's the factor responsible for making the mix sound good over multiple systems. Mixing with noise may sound crazy, but give it a try. With a little practice, there are ways to make noise work for you.
AKA "Wata"
Watashig

Re: Mixing with Pink Noise

Postby Motivfs » 22 Nov 2012 14:33

Wow, what a read, I will definitely be using this technique since I don't drive a car, or have a sound-system set up in my room yet. Very beneficial for someone in my stance.
Motivfs

Postby the4thImpulse » 22 Nov 2012 14:40

That's something I will certainly try soon.

Thanks for posting.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Omegastick » 22 Nov 2012 16:18

Trying it now with my latest track. Thanks for posting this.
Omegastick

Postby Nine Volt » 22 Nov 2012 16:33

Dayum. I'll definitely try this soon, thanks!
Nine Volt

Postby Seven » 22 Nov 2012 17:19

Thanks for the share. Will try this as soon as I can. My computer fan isn't loud enough.
Constructive criticism is more than welcome. I embrace it.

I rarely make any sense when I post from my phone. And I post from my phone.
Seven

Postby Omegastick » 22 Nov 2012 17:20

Seven wrote:Thanks for the share. Will try this as soon as I can. My computer fan isn't loud enough.

Take mine.
PLEASE!
Omegastick

Postby vladnuke » 22 Nov 2012 17:33

How does one make pink noise though?

Oh, and I do the "test it in the car" thing so much. That is my final say on whether the track is ready or not. If I can stand listening to it on a drive, it stands to put on the interwebs.
vladnuke

Postby Seven » 22 Nov 2012 17:41

vladnuke wrote:How does one make pink noise though?

Hehe, I was planning to Google for samples...

Though someone actually explaining noise synthesis would be nice. Really nice. Like, really, really...

We'll be waiting.
Last edited by Seven on 23 Nov 2012 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
Constructive criticism is more than welcome. I embrace it.

I rarely make any sense when I post from my phone. And I post from my phone.
Seven

Postby the4thImpulse » 22 Nov 2012 17:45

vladnuke wrote:How does one make pink noise though

Look for a vst with a pink noise generator (as said in the article white noise won't be the same). I have a free synth called 'JG-3' from Elogoxa, it has all the simple wave shapes including both white and pink noise.

Seven wrote:Hehe, I was planning to Google for samples...

Though someone actually explaining noise synthesis would be nice. Really nice. Like, really, really...

We'll be waiting.

I was going to explain it but wikipedia does it better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Nine Volt » 22 Nov 2012 17:53

I'm sure there are VSTs available to create pink noise, as someone said. Reason comes with a built in noise oscillator that I believe can produce pink noise.
Nine Volt

Postby Hangin' From A Cloud » 23 Nov 2012 13:51

That was really interesting, might try it out in the future...

On noise generation: Yep, Reason does have a noise osc that can make pink noise. Audacity can generate it too.
"Sheogorath took hold of the petulant women and ripped her asunder. From her tendons he made lutes [...] and thus Music was born!"
/Myths of Sheogorath/
-----
Youtube | Soundcloud
Using: Reason 5, Live Lite 8
Hangin' From A Cloud

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Nov 2012 15:35

Thanks, Wata.

I'm fairly certain Massive has pink noise in its' generator section. It has all the colors of the spectrum, I swear. White, pink, paper, metal, etc. Anyways, Massive probably has it, so I don't think I have to worry about downloading any new synths :P
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Random111223 » 24 Nov 2012 15:37

I'm fairly certain Massive has pink noise in its' generator section.

nope
Random111223

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Nov 2012 18:29

Random111223 wrote:nope
:(
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Raddons » 19 Jan 2013 11:48

http://mda.smartelectronix.com/

mda TestTone has a pink noise generator

put that on your master and have a blast
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby MixolydianPony » 19 Jan 2013 19:33

"Also, our ears have an incredibly wide dynamic range -- greater than 200dB. This is more than twice the dynamic range of a CD"

I've been taught otherwise. Anything louder than about 140dbSPL sounds the same to the human ear, it just becomes progressively more harmonically distorted without actually seeming louder. And there's no way anyone would listen to music with that large of a dynamic range. The softest parts would be so quiet, you wouldn't hear them over your own breathing.

Not that this really has anything to do with the point of the article... I'm just anal about this stuff. .-.

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Return to Technique