Sidechaining on Cubase Studio 5

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Sidechaining on Cubase Studio 5

Postby UnderpΩny » 25 Sep 2011 11:44

How do I?
I was thinking I could use Prolouge and just set up the LFO in time with the kick, but I'm not sure if there's a suitable waveform (ramp up maybe?). I know the proper way is to set up a compressor to reduce the gain when the volume of the input signal is above a certain threshold... or something... but could someone who uses Cubase give me some pointers?
UnderpΩny

Re: Sidechaining on Cubase Studio 5

Postby Ferrarity » 25 Sep 2011 11:50

^^^Excellent tutorial for this.

Basically:
Make the bass drum separate from the other percussion.

Make a group channel track for all the instruments you want to be sidechained.

Set the bass drum "send" to the sidechain group track -- this will make the bass drum a "trigger" for the sidechain compression.

To set up the compression, go to the group track and use a compressor as an insert. This insert will be triggered by the bass drum, so compression will only occur when the kick is playing.
Ferrarity

Postby UnderpΩny » 25 Sep 2011 12:09

The more you know...
This is something I've noticed a lot in trance especially. I'll probably be sharing this knowlege with the rest of my class XD
UnderpΩny

Postby Ferrarity » 26 Sep 2011 18:34

Yea, sidechaining is a good idea basically for any song. Oftentimes my bass synths will end up drowning out any kicks unless I do that.
Ferrarity

Postby UnderpΩny » 27 Sep 2011 11:46

Ferrarity wrote:Yea, sidechaining is a good idea basically for any song. Oftentimes my bass synths will end up drowning out any kicks unless I do that.

Yep. I can tell that sidechaining the bass is going to become pretty much a standard thing to me... 4-to-the-floor beats are boring, I like to have an interesting rhythm with the kick, but as you said the bass just drowns that out.
UnderpΩny

Return to Technique