Equal Temperaments?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Equal Temperaments?

Postby HertzDevil » 09 Sep 2011 08:24

Simply look at the intricacy of this magical image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Equal_Temper_w_limits.svg

Are there any sequencers, samplers, synthesizers, trackers and/or VSTs out there which are capable of doing anything other than the common 12-TET, or are there any decent substitutions that reduce the cumbersome process of fine-pitching note by note?
HERTZDEVIL IS NOT SECRETLY JAKE KAUFMAN OKAY
HertzDevil

Re: Equal Temperaments?

Postby Whitetail » 09 Sep 2011 09:37

I don't know if whatever DAW you're using has one, but Pro Tools does have a manual pitch generator plugin.
The problem is that it's a very cumbersome process as you've said as you have to automate EVERYTHING about it, else it just generates a constant uninterrupted tone.
Whitetail

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 09 Sep 2011 09:48

The only time I've seen something give me a different tuning system was with the piano vsts that Native Instruments released. They had Equal Temperament, Just Intonation, Stretched Pythagorean tuning and so on!

There is a reason we use Equal Temperament though...it's so then you can use all 12 notes of a key in combination with any other notes that won't sound horrible! (yes, it can sound worse than what I write!)

Why are you after leaving this tuning system, may I ask?
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Interrobang Pie » 09 Sep 2011 10:06

AIM log time wrote:Quinton Miller 3:23 pm
http://mylittleremix.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=447
i am really a dick

Interrobang Pie 3:23 pm
ohohohoho you

Quinton Miller 3:23 pm
yeah

Interrobang Pie 3:24 pm
but why would you want to

Quinton Miller 3:24 pm
why not
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Versilaryan » 09 Sep 2011 10:49

What Gangbang Pie up there said. =P

Seriously, though, it's REALLY hard to hear the difference between just intonation and equal temperament -- unless, like Dr. D said, you're using notes of another tonal center that seriously clash because they're so out of tune. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

I do happen to know that some Japanese company makes keyboards that can play using different tuning systems. My Uni band director had one and used it to show the difference between just and equal temperament. I can't remember what it was called or if it had a MIDI out, though.
Versilaryan

Return to Technique