Need some help with my recordings!

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Need some help with my recordings!

Postby epicplatypus » 08 Sep 2011 16:56

this video pretty much explains everything about my problem and it would be AWESOME if yall could help me. I Asked a few other bronies and they re-directed me here. Thanks in advance!

This is my first time really getting in to audio recording!
epicplatypus

Re: Need some help with my recordings!

Postby Versilaryan » 08 Sep 2011 23:27

That sounds A LOT like the noise I get on my headphones on my laptop. Did some poking around on Google, and apparently, it's caused by interference from somewhere. Sometimes, having your laptop plugged in will interfere with audio, and sometimes, it's the sound card. I'm also seeing Alesis pop up a lot, so there's a good chance it's a problem with the mixer.

Try moving the wires around so that they don't cross, and keep all the audio cables away from any power cables you have. Try turning off your cell phone and your wireless card, though that probably won't do much.

The big solution I'm seeing online, though, specifically with the Alesis mixers, is to ground your power supply. Attach a wire to where the power supply goes into the mixer and then run that wire to something else metal to ground it.

If that doesn't work, try borrowing someone else's mixer/USB interface and see if the problem persists.
Versilaryan

Postby Facade » 09 Sep 2011 05:38

i got that noise before so i turned off my computer and it went away (i was recording on something else)
my guess is that its your computer try having it in another room or something or put alot of pillows on it (but dont over heat it) XD
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Sugarholik » 09 Sep 2011 06:57

http://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewt ... 26&t=41307

They had the same issue. The post by guitareng » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:05 pm offers a solution. As stated above, it's the grounding. Apparently recording using only the laptop's battery power fixed it as well.
Of course make sure your gear isn't too close to each other or any other electrical appliances etc.
Good luck!
Sugarholik

Primary: Renoise
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Technique