Help for a beginner?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: Help for a beginner?

Postby Applejinx » 12 Sep 2011 12:28

Can ya use EXS24 instruments, or just grab the samples out of them to use? I give a lot of stuff away in my day job and one of the things is, free EXS bass guitars. This is the big one- it has pre-roll on all the samples because I make the EXS24 player chop it off depending on velocity, so that soft notes lag a bit.
http://www.jinxtigr.com/f/ElectricBass.zip

Also got this one which I think is more straightforward, but it needs EXS24 even more 'cos it loops the notes, it's like a soundfont bass only with a sample for each note like the other one.
http://www.jinxtigr.com/f/FlatBass.zip
User avatar
Applejinx
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 11 Sep 2011 16:11
Location: Vermont

Re: Help for a beginner?

Postby soultensionbenjamin » 24 May 2012 19:28

Hello im also a beginner i would just like to know what else do i need

all i have so far is fl studio 10
and a blue yeti usb microphone

What else does evereypony recommend?
to begin my journey.
User avatar
soultensionbenjamin
 
Posts: 419
Joined: 21 May 2012 19:44
Location: America Baltimare

Re: Help for a beginner?

Postby K3WRO » 25 May 2012 02:08

Man, I think you've got a great advantage in making music :D
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
User avatar
K3WRO
 
Posts: 696
Joined: 20 Apr 2012 08:58
Location: Sasebo, Japan
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64x
Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Re: Help for a beginner?

Postby LunchBagMusic » 25 May 2012 02:13

Just a heads up to all new people:

You are going to hate your first couple of songs. And they're going to suck. So much.

But that's okay, because your're just starting out. Think of it this way:

Beethoven was born and he had no idea what a piano was.
There was once a time when the Beatles couldn't play guitar.
<insertgreatponymusicianhere> didn't always know how to use <insertDAWofchoicehere>
etc.

Learn by doing. Do it all.
User avatar
LunchBagMusic
 
Posts: 229
Joined: 13 Nov 2011 23:17
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Help for a beginner?

Postby Kushy Kallous » 29 May 2012 08:45

This thread is full of great help, and great helpers.

As, yet another, beginning and aspiring musician; I thank you all.
To judge ones intellect seems ignorant in reality.
skype: fourDDone
--
New to everything.
https://soundcloud.com/andy-eivaz/madhouse-for-equines-overdose
<non-pony/pony> I just rap
SoundCloud
YouTube
User avatar
Kushy Kallous
 
Posts: 133
Joined: 14 May 2012 07:53
Location: Washington State

Re: Help for a beginner?

Postby Facade » 29 May 2012 09:23

always try things even if they have been done before
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another


ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
User avatar
Facade
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: 22 Aug 2011 18:26
Location: Anywhere
OS: Windows 7
Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Re: Help for a beginner?

Postby Acknown3 » 29 May 2012 15:22

Facade wrote:always try things even if they have been done before

I would disagree with this. You should never compare yourself to other artists; just do what you like, or what you think you're good at. From there, you can develop your own sound, but I wouldn't try to do it on purpose.
Image
User avatar
Acknown3
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 10 Apr 2012 12:44
Location: Beavercreek, OH

Re: Help for a beginner?

Postby Legion » 30 May 2012 10:55

Kyoga wrote:
Acknown3 wrote:
Facade wrote:always try things even if they have been done before

I would disagree with this. You should never compare yourself to other artists; just do what you like, or what you think you're good at. From there, you can develop your own sound, but I wouldn't try to do it on purpose.



exactly.
Make your own stuff. and as long as it's something you enjoy doing, there's no reason for you not to do it. If you're trying to copy another artist, you're just not going to be your own artist. After all, I doubt you want to be "the next skrillex"... you would probably prefer to be "the FIRST Crimson Epilogue" Don't rewrite somepony else's story. Write your own. :D

Yeah, I disagree with this. The entire point of imitating other artists is to figure out what they do right and improve yourself so you can combine influences and develop your style over time. Strictly avoiding imitation will be detrimental to your skill in the long run IMO. As Eurobeat Brony told me, you have to know the rules in order to break them. I try to Always keep that in mind.
User avatar
Legion
 
Posts: 469
Joined: 10 Mar 2012 22:46
Location: Detroit

Re: Help for a beginner?

Postby Matthew N. » 30 May 2012 12:27

I am probably one of those that NEVER, EVER watched a single FL Studio tutorial (I read a few guides to not get lost when it was still called Fruity Loops, lol), and I guess I am doing pretty good as well. I have literally learned everything by just messing around with the thing; clicking this, tweaking that, automating this and that. It's more fun than some of you can imagine.
User avatar
Matthew N.
 
Posts: 875
Joined: 08 May 2012 10:45
Location: Poland

Re: Help for a beginner?

Postby K3WRO » 31 May 2012 05:45

Matthew_N wrote:I am probably one of those that NEVER, EVER watched a single FL Studio tutorial (I read a few guides to not get lost when it was still called Fruity Loops, lol), and I guess I am doing pretty good as well. I have literally learned everything by just messing around with the thing; clicking this, tweaking that, automating this and that. It's more fun than some of you can imagine.


It's funny because I didn't watch any videos when I was started with Fruityloops,
Well, maybe except a couple about automation and mastering but besides that, the controls were just really similar to LMMS. I got used to it eventually.
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
User avatar
K3WRO
 
Posts: 696
Joined: 20 Apr 2012 08:58
Location: Sasebo, Japan
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64x
Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Re: Help for a beginner?

Postby ajbiz11 » 13 Mar 2013 15:47

Wow...I feel like a n00b...but if you look over at my <a href="https://soundcloud.com/viinylscratch/">SC</a> then you will see the basic FL midi sounds

When I try to change to even another basic FL instrument, it changes back when exporting or replaying

Anyone have Amy idea what's going on?
https://soundcloud.com/pixelperfectpon3
DAW: FL 11 & Ableton Live 9
Genre: Whatever I feel like!
ajbiz11
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 08:53
Location: Somewhere wishing to go to Equestria
OS: Windows 7 & 8
Primary: EDM
Cutie Mark: Absolutely Nothing!

Re: Help for a beginner?

Postby TheMalenEst » 13 Mar 2013 16:49

JESUS CHRIST! seriously look at the last post. ''31 MAY 2012'' necro much?
My Soundcloud for my Wip's and Previews, but also full songs.
My YouTube Come by and listen to my music :3 Maybe you find something you like.
Deviantart Abstract Art

shingeki no kyojin is best anime/manga
User avatar
TheMalenEst
 
Posts: 224
Joined: 26 Jun 2012 10:27
Location: Home of the vikings!
OS: Windows 7, Mac OS
Primary: FL Studio 10, Logic
Cutie Mark: AnjunaLogo

Previous

Return to Technique



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron