What you hope to achieve with making music

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: What you hope to achieve with making music

Postby Kagetori » 12 Jul 2012 21:44

Hopefully I could make money off of it because although I could be almost everything else, there's nothing really enjoyable other than making independent music. (I can't stand the idea of working for anyone)

But that's not really my main goal, I like making music, so even if we could live in a world where money didn't exist, I'd still make music, (although I'd probably have time for various other arts as well). Anyways, I'll probably still put all my music up for free downloads, even if it is bad for "business", people will find ways to steal my music if I ever get big anyways, so in the end it'll just be up to my fans to decide if I get my pay, if and when.

The main thing I like though is producing something of art. Under music, I just love making melodies, that would be my strongest point. My weak point is everything else that isn't the actual composition such as effects, mixing and whatnot.
Kagetori

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby DJ Hellbunny » 26 Jul 2012 01:40

I WANT TO BE THE VEEERY BEST, LIKE NOONE EVER WAAAS....
Ehm, okay. I want to be really good at making music. Notice that I didn't say I want to make good music. I want to be able to. I want to BE a professional, not just make good stuff, but also to know good stuff. I also want to be well known. I know that it shouldn't, but when I work on something and noone bothers to listen, it kills me inside. I want to have as many people listening to my music as possible, depending on if they like it or not. Oh, and I don't want to be a professional only to be known. I also want to know what it feels like to have all the knowledge of making sounds that are moving, full, relaxing or filling. To know what to do to make other wokrs better as well.
DJ Hellbunny

Postby Spark » 26 Jul 2012 05:04

To be better than this guy:

Spark

Postby MorteMcAdaver » 26 Jul 2012 05:48

It's my favorite way of communicating with people and getting into their heads. I'm reclusive and socially strange by nature, and without music, I'd probably just be a misanthropic hermit, but music helps me get out there; it gives me a persona, an image, and a sound by which I can be known and share my deepest feelings with the world. Not only that, but I've been able to really work hard to create something that I can feel genuinely proud of, and it's all bolstered by the admiration and respect that I have received from others over the years. Even if I can't be an actual rock star who makes even a survivable income from music alone, I can at least feel like one, and in some ways, be treated like one. If I couldn't release all of this music and creativity inside of me, I would feel wretched inside, and probably hate myself for letting all these years go by, wasted without ever being noticed or respected for my abilities. It's quite lovely to be called a "mastermind" and know that I have composed so much on my own. My envy for successful musicians has pushed me forward, and I will continue to do all I can to achieve some degree of success, recognition, and happiness wherever I am able. I want to leave a legacy that will inspire others, just as I wish to galvanize others while I am still here to vomit forth their creativity into the world however they can.

TL;DR - I WANNA BE A GOTHIC ROCK STAR/MAESTRO WHO IS RELATIVELY POPULAR AND MILDLY WEALTHY.
MorteMcAdaver's SoundCloud
http://www.youtube.com/mortemcadaver

Glory to Chrysalis.

Pandora's Toybox (Cynical/Gothic Circus Rock)
Sorrowseed (Melodic Apocalyptic Metal)
Blacksoul Seraphim (Fallen Angelic Doom)
MorteMcAdaver

Postby White Ink » 26 Jul 2012 17:01

I want to make music and have a good time. That's all, really. I don't have a huge desire to get a record deal or to write a soundtrack; really, I just want to make music.

Also, I want to be able to own a ridiculously good audio system and have a good excuse for having it.
I make music because I'm not mediocre at everything yet.
Soundcloud here: http://soundcloud.com/whitenedink
White Ink

Postby jackupthoseapples » 26 Jul 2012 20:55

I want to be right up there, at the mixing deck, playing for a huge venue, 24/7. There is nothing that gives me greater joy than making people get up and dance. It's as simple as that.
jackupthoseapples

Postby Anforium » 26 Jul 2012 21:44

I want to make music that
#1 I enjoy
#2 People enjoy

Making music just because other people like it is stupid. I want to enjoy any music I make as well.
Youtube
Bandcamp
Twitter

Software: I'm original, so i use Sunvox. I used to use LMMS, but the crashing drove me insane.
Anforium

Postby konsolN » 27 Jul 2012 12:52

I really needed a hobby. I wanted to stop using all my time playing games and surfing the Web and actually make something. I also love music and always had Ideas Stuck in my head.

I want to be able to create something. Something were I can say, "Look, I made that", something people can appreciate.
I make different kinds of music, often get told that It sounds like something for a Video Game because I make only instrumentals, never had a chance to make music for an actual game. I would love to.

http://soundcloud.com/konsoln

Or visit me, will be on BronyState for some time to come.
konsolN

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: Erlenmeyer Flask

Postby psychoacoustic » 27 Jul 2012 18:48

I hope to one day be notable enough to have a Wikipedia article.

Mainly, though, I want for somebody to listen. I just love the idea that somewhere in the world, I may have given someone who I have never met some enjoyment, even in the smallest of ways.
psychoacoustic

Postby TranquilHooves » 29 Jul 2012 13:14

Hmm, probably a bunch of selfish reasons. But besides that, maybe pave a way for yet another subgenre of music and actually make something. Idk.
(Original, witty signature here.)
Also, http://soundcloud.com/tranquil-hooves/complete-sunrise-in-equestria

If anyone can figure out what genre this is, please tell me, cause I have no clue. :D
TranquilHooves

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sick Skrill Wubs™

Postby FLAOFEI » 20 Aug 2012 16:09

Un serious ultimate goal: Make hi-fi obsessed rich idiots understand that there is no real benefit in a $ 1.000.000.000.000.000.000 stereo if it cant even give you 90 db. I don't care how good quality it is! You still wont hear it when someone outside is playing with a chainsaw!
Slightly more realistic goal: To some day hear a car rolin through town blasting my music, and seeing the (probably (*hopefully) negative) reactions or people on the street. After that I could die happy!
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby FIMprov » 25 Sep 2012 12:11

I mainly write music to get it out of my head and on paper/computer. I know I'm not the only pony here who hears music in their head all the time. I have so many things that I want to do that I often fall behind on my own schedule. Inspiration for me is more of a matter of blocking out whatever song happens to be stuck in my head and then listening for what fills the silence. The idea eventually becomes a full-fledged song that I am seldom happy with, but call finished because I've worked on it for SO FREAKIN' LONG. And if I'm lucky, I don't even have to try. Now and then a song just bursts to the forefront of my mind and I instantly drop whatever it is I'm doing to write it down. Then it inevitably gets procrastinated because I'm so busy with school right now.

By extension, I usually write music to relax (you'll notice my piano improvs are never fast and angry). Music is a way for me to keep my sanity. My inspiration either comes from whatever I'm feeling at the moment or whatever feeling I want to convey with a piece.

What do I hope to achieve? I just want to get better at making music, no matter what kind of music it is I want to do.
-YouTube- || -SoundCloud- || -Tumblr- (pony) || -Tumblr- (non-pony)
FIMprov

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Piano

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Sep 2012 14:31

I WANT TO BE THE GREATEST MUSICIAN EVER

No, seriously, I just want people to enjoy my stuff and to feel like I've actually accomplished something.
Nine Volt

Postby FLAOFEI » 25 Sep 2012 15:46

Actually, scratch what I said before.
I just wanna have fun, and im kind of adicted to it :/
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 25 Sep 2012 15:51

To make and name a song release a song named Insane Brutal Feedback Loop.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby LFP » 25 Sep 2012 16:19

I don't have any particular goal as a musician (I really should have one to get a better workflow though..) like getting x amount of fans or impressing y dude etc.
I make music because I love to do it, express my feelings, learn stuff and help out others are my main reasons everything else is just a +.
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Stu Beef » 25 Sep 2012 17:35

Do you really wanna know?

DO YOU REALLY WANNA KNOW?!?

I guess I have two goals:

THE MATERIALISTIC

I need to get paid, son! I don't want to have to worry about the guacamole being 50 cents extra, or if this gas station is .02 cents less per gallon, or if this sandwich place charges way too much for those tiny things.

I don't want to have to rely on my family to support me all the time! I hate how being a full-time student basically means being a full-time moocher; I may have been ok with that or oblivious to it when I was younger, but it's hard to live with as an adult. Honestly, I want to make it so that NO ONE in my family ever has to worry about finances again. I told my sister that, "When I make it big, I'm gonna go to your house and make it rain money with a leaf blower." (or something like that).

Shoot, I don't even want to live in a big house filled with strange, exotic animals. If I ever make it big, I'll still live in some suburb with middle/lower middle class people (I don't like/trust people with money...but I don't really want to live in the ghetto either, sorry)!

THE IDEALISTIC

There's a reason why I'm getting a degree in education, even if that's not #1 on my list of things I really want to do. I do like sharing my experiences with other people, and not necessarily in a way that's like, YO DO THIS CAUSE I SAID SO. I have a sort of world/life philosophy that I try to get other people to at least see, because I feel it's important to have a good sense of perspective in order to be a decent person. I don't really want to end up being someone who's way too self important and up their own ass, though. I really do long for the fame and glory and all that, but I hope I never catch myself losing that sense of humility. I want to tell a real story in a personal way and hope that somehow connects with somebody.

Also, I guess I'm still looking for that crazy style/sound that no one has thought of yet. I'm gonna need some good luck for that!
Stu Beef

Previous

Return to Technique