What you hope to achieve with making music

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: What you hope to achieve with making music

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 23 Mar 2012 16:13

I have many goals. I'm just ambitious.

My first goal is to meet, work with, and become friends with as many other musicians as well. In this way, I can learn more about music. Also, you can never have too many friends, right?

I also want to people who hear my music to not only enjoy it, but be influenced by it. I feel that if the music is particularly good, people will be not only like it and come back for more, but they will have truly gained something by listening to the music. Whether this is knowledge, or just laughter, I want people to be affected positively by it.

Another goal that I have is to make music that is original and entertaining (duh). However, I also want to keep technicality and skill to the max on everything that I make, while at the same. I also plan to step out of my comfort zone (progressive metal/death metal/hardcore) and find ways to combine genres of music. My style is to challenge myself in new ways every time that I make a song. Basically, all of the fundamentals of good progressive music (preferably metal).

My last goal (which will come much later on) is to establish a good fanbase. I want to feel like people are listening to my music so that I can know that I have made a difference. I also want a decent fanbase so that they can give me honest feedback on my music and I can learn and improve from it. Besides, the fan base will make me feel like I am wanted by people.

One thing that I don't intend to do with my music until I am much older is to try and earn money from it. My music will be free until it is worthy enough to be bought by fans.
ChromaticChaosPony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby I AM DUMB HORSE » 23 Mar 2012 19:21

silverblaze wrote:Kick ass! That's pretty much exactly what I do. although it's only for personal projects at the moment. and they're only chiptunes right now. :b

My full goal is to make amazing music while at the same time making epic video games. :b
Since, I have the music part going for me(not 100% the best atm, but I am getting better), I just need to release a full video game and then I'm set! :D

YES.

I'd like to make my own games too, but I don't know the first thing about how to do it. While I'm studying audio engineering, my brother is taking game design classes. I'm hoping we might be able to work together professionally some day, so I can help out with the design aspects and maybe pick up a little more information on game production. Best of luck with your games and music, blaze!
I AM DUMB HORSE

Postby Navron » 23 Mar 2012 20:28

Trixie wrote:Two, I want people to be able to listen to one of my, let's say, house tracks or something, and then perhaps the next day, or even the same day, hear an orchestral piece by me without knowing they were by me; and then when they go look up who the artist is, they can hardly believe both tracks are by the same person, due to their very different styles. If that made any sense.

The only downside to being multi-genre'd, is you pretty much eliminate all chances of being played by mainstream outlets (radio, TV, etc.) Note, this isn't a bad thing, considering most music played on the radio is very simple, overmastered, and generally appeals to the mass amount of people that don't really have an in-depth taste in music, so they just appreciate what's catchy.

However, look at Shpongle.

They'll never get played on the radio, but they have a large following, and despite the fact they're listed as a psytrance/psybient band, in all honesty they don't really follow the general rules of psytrance or psybient, and instead have influences from nearly every genre of music, most notably jazz, trip-hop, trance, glitch, classical, and even prog metal.

I can relate to wanting to bring something new to the music world, and I actually take pride that I can't seem to find any bands that have a similar style as myself.

It's that individual sound that every musician has that culminates from all their influences into one, but it takes awhile to discover it.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Big AppleDoom » 23 Mar 2012 22:39

To make my visions come true, find my own style and place, experiment and do shit, gain experience, expand awareness, get satisfaction...
Big AppleDoom

Postby Sinn Ick » 23 Mar 2012 23:33

I before i sign my life away in the military, want to leave my mark on the internet, no matter how small. I want to make music that people like and listen too..

Far fetched dream though.
"You're giving a new light in my life, I don't know why. I just like knowing you're my friend and I can talk to you"
-Guy i met online
Sinn Ick

Postby colortwelve » 24 Mar 2012 01:20

I honestly have no idea what I want to accomplish. Goals have never been my strong suit, and music is no exception. The only reason I'm doing it now is... I dunno, it's fun? Does that count? Does it need to anyway?

Of course, the idea of making a couple cents off of it all is appealing, but the reality is that this will never happen, so I guess I'm just working for no reason. Well, no external reason.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Trixie » 24 Mar 2012 15:38

NavyBrony wrote:I can relate to wanting to bring something new to the music world, and I actually take pride that I can't seem to find any bands that have a similar style as myself.

It's that individual sound that every musician has that culminates from all their influences into one, but it takes awhile to discover it.

Exactly! It's every single song, melody, and/or rhythm, as well as all your musical experience and even influences outside of the musical world being passed through the filter that is your musical mind and being expressed in different amounts at different times, in your own unique way.

...I want to say more but I don't know how to say it, so oh well!
"[5:49:48 PM] Bass Clopper: I reget getting the 17 inch
[5:49:53 PM] Bass Clopper: Harder to fit than the 15 was D:"
Trixie

Postby olivebates » 25 Mar 2012 04:00

To get BronyDanceParty to do one of my songs.. loOol
Diss Order wrote:If you want and if you can: by all means, make whatever the fuck you want to make. :)
olivebates

Postby Spirit » 25 Mar 2012 19:30

To bring some chilled enjoyment to the world, and remind people that stuff is beautiful
And to play live and be able to drop in something i made
http://soundcloud.com/mexztah <-- Tunes wot i have made up
Currently working on/ideas: Nothing ATM
System sound for system people
Spirit

Postby thatguyzeke » 26 Mar 2012 00:28

I've never been good at an art before.
Honestly, I can't draw stick figures or more my figures in any way to play an instrument well.
The closest I got was acting in high school.

This provides me with some kind of art that is close to something I already have a connection to. Computers.

I'm hoping I can make something good, but overall I'm just happy to have an artistic medium, something where I can take an idea in my head and make it reality through music.
thatguyzeke

Postby BronyTuber » 26 Mar 2012 05:10

thatguyzeke wrote:I've never been good at an art before.
Honestly, I can't draw stick figures or more my figures in any way to play an instrument well.
The closest I got was acting in high school.

This provides me with some kind of art that is close to something I already have a connection to. Computers.

I'm hoping I can make something good, but overall I'm just happy to have an artistic medium, something where I can take an idea in my head and make it reality through music.

Holy crap, are you me?
http://soundcloud.com/bronytuber

"I will speak for you, Father. I speak for all the mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint." -Antonio Salieri (Amadeus)
BronyTuber

Postby soultensionbenjamin » 24 May 2012 19:36

my goal is just to inspire people by making the music and if i become a master ill help the little boy or girl who cant find a single pattern because that little boy or girl was me
soultensionbenjamin

Postby natsukashi » 25 May 2012 04:59

Immortailty
ToastbeardERS03:
23:32:35 <natsukashi> I played this for my mom
23:32:48 <J4CKL3-4PP> "now I'm an orphan"
natsukashi

Postby Ed Viper » 25 May 2012 11:09

Honestly, I just want to give something to this community. I see all of the musicians and artists and fanfic writers doing things to contribute to this fandom, and I just want to be a part of that.

My only goal is that people listen to my music and enjoy it. I don't really care how many, as long as I can be a contributing part of this community.
Soundcloud
Tumblr

If you ever need someone to talk to -

That's all I got right now.
Ed Viper

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Charlie Sheen

Postby MixolydianPony » 25 May 2012 14:01

I want to be a virtuoso. I want to be Steve Vai.

Not that I literally want to have his conscious experience, I just want to do what he does. Write music all day, express myself, entertain people, innovate, get worshiped by guitarists everywhere, etc.

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Postby GhostXb » 25 May 2012 15:57

GhostXb

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 02 Jun 2012 17:31

I would also consider using music as a means of trolling, but I want to take some of it seriously.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Facade » 03 Jun 2012 12:09

Kyoga wrote:
GhostXb wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JszN7h84TXs

If.... only if........
I wish I could write such masterpieces

I know D:
so emotional and awesome >.<
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby IamPinkamenaDianePie » 04 Jun 2012 18:51

Get on monstercatmedia
IamPinkamenaDianePie

Postby ShoPows » 04 Jun 2012 21:22

I want to quit my dead end job, cooking food for people that earn far more money then me. I want to make music that makes people feel emoti-

Well i really want to make enough money making music so i can play video games all day and hang out with my online friends.
ShoPows

Postby NytMayr » 05 Jun 2012 08:01

I have no bloody clue. I just make music because I like making music.
NytMayr

Postby Trillionage » 05 Jun 2012 10:02

I want to make music for the same reason i make art: to entertain, influence and touch people (not in THAT way).
Trillionage

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 05 Jun 2012 11:33

Guitarists get to touch alot of people. It seems I chose a good instrument.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby EverfreeLuna » 05 Jun 2012 18:38

I just wish to learn and advance my knowledge of music theory. What better way to do that then with ponies? :D

I've learnt more about music theory in the past week that I ever did attempting to learn an instrument...
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats

"You the people have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness. You the people have the power to make life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure."
EverfreeLuna

Postby Acknown3 » 05 Jun 2012 22:41

I just want to have fun making it, and perhaps entertain others.
Acknown3

PreviousNext

Return to Technique