What you hope to achieve with making music

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: What you hope to achieve with making music

Postby Howlgram » 26 Nov 2011 10:16

LunchBagMusic wrote:
Code: Select all
Oh and friends. Making friends is nice!

^That.

And then that again. Because it has relevance.

eeeyup, ^that
^_^
❑ Single
❑ Taken
✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist
Howlgram

Postby Mundius » 26 Nov 2011 10:31

[voodoopony] wrote:I hope to end music labels and destroy the record industry to bring back a musical renaissance.

This and be a famous name in humanity. I give myself 8 years until that is accomplished.

Until then, probably get better at music. All I can do is play a song right. I want to be able to not get it wrong.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 01 Dec 2011 00:39

^I get it.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Thorinair » 01 Dec 2011 12:39

I am not sure really, I just enjoy making music and knowing that other ponies out there might be listening to it! :)
Thorinair

Postby BlackElectric » 01 Dec 2011 13:31

Thorinair wrote:I am not sure really, I just enjoy making music and knowing that other ponies out there might be listening to it! :)

Exactly the same for me
BlackElectric

Primary: Pro Tools 10
Cutie Mark: Mixing

Postby Freewave » 01 Dec 2011 18:01

Vinyl Scratch wrote:
[voodoopony] wrote:I hope to end music labels and destroy the record industry to bring back a musical renaissance.

I love how there's so many non-label free artists making great music and that they're slowly making labeled music more and more irrelevant. Being a downloader means I can put my money where my mouth is and put my own music out there FREE for pure enjoyment of making it and the people who enjoy hearing it (only a small group tbh but that's not the point) because ultimately that's how I think it should go. Ultimately I want to make as much music as possible with whatever concept I want, in whatever genre I want, and have someone else say "yes that's a cool concept, i like it" and that's all I need to get by and make it worth it.

As much as the Beatle Bronies are a one-note pony and not something I'd ever listen to again I just love the fact they exist on bandcamp and haven't been touched (because who's going to sue a free artist with no revenue). While its an ode to the Beatles its also a middle finger to corporate music and shows what free artists can do and I love that about it even if the music isn't as good as the concept.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Howlgram » 06 Dec 2011 23:18

Make music that fits my taste
....seems impossible atm
❑ Single
❑ Taken
✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist
Howlgram

Postby Luxston » 11 Mar 2012 17:37

I WISH TO TURN THE LIVING INTO ABOMINATIONS AND BECOME THE OVERLORD OF THE UNIVERSE.

Hehe, but in all seriousness,
I produce music so other people can listen and share their opinions, guiding me to become a better music producer.
But regardless of other people's opinions, I enjoy producing none-the-less.
DAW: FL Studio & Cubase 5 / Nuendo 4.3
VSTs: Massive, Absynth, Battery, FM8, Pro-53 ( Still looking.. )
Genres: Mainly DnB.
Luxston

Postby soup2504 » 11 Mar 2012 19:05

Me? Well, I just want to make music because it's FUN AS HELL! Now that I think about it, how is "Hell" fun? WHATEVER.

Ok, so yeah. I probably wouldn't even be making music if it weren't for all the brony musicians that served as inspiration. But while I knew about that, I just didn't think I would be able to make music. Then Silva Hound..... He's the one that inspired me the most. Why? Honestly, I don't know, but I think the fact that I have been listening to all of his songs months after I have purchased them, not getting tired of them, and stopping all other music I listen to just for his work, might have something to do with it.
soup2504

Postby Legion » 11 Mar 2012 19:54

Right now, I'm in the 'making music for the hell of it' camp.

In the long run, though, my ultimate goal in life is to make one piece of music (or other art form) that brings out an emotional response like the one's I've felt after listening to some of my favorite songs of all time, whether that be happiness, crying, or being genuinely disturbed, in descending order of priority.
Legion

Postby Esoomspark » 12 Mar 2012 03:12

Hopefully, when I actually get started:

- Make music that people will actually listen to
- Be able to improve and one day somehow make an earning out of it (optional lol)
- Become Friends with other Artists
- ?????

Thats pretty much it. o_o The musicians in this fandom are so cool.
Esoomspark

Postby the4thImpulse » 12 Mar 2012 03:39

Its only a dream at this point but the best case scenario would be people will pay to see me preforming tracks I have made.

I am far from that though...
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Gray Ham » 12 Mar 2012 05:11

legion2190 wrote:Right now, I'm in the 'making music for the hell of it' camp.

I really don't have another reason. :lol:
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Postby Doofcake » 12 Mar 2012 09:23

Ahem...
* I want to make good music
* I want to express myself with music
* I want to find my own style
* I want to become friends with other artists
Doofcake

Postby qJesse » 12 Mar 2012 11:02

I've always wanted to be that "cool guy that makes music"...that's kinda what pushed me to do it at first. Still kinda do want to be that guy, but it wasn't long until I realized music has way more values. Being a producer has not only taught me about making and knowing music; it's literally cleaned me up as a human being. Now, after 2 years of doing this, the experience of being a professional music producer is my ultimate goal; make a living off of it if I can, but overall just do what I absolutely love to do. I hope to one day range in genres from electronic to jazz, country, rock, and much more. I want to see and do it all.

To simplify all of that for you: I'm in the roller coaster for the ride.
Hey there. I'm Jesse. Did you hear Lyra talk?
qJesse

Postby vladnuke » 12 Mar 2012 15:18

Interrobang Pie wrote:Popularity.

This, basically. I want to have Skrillex-level popularity, then mellow out into working on movie soundtracks and shit ala Danny Elfman. Or maybe have a niche audience who need a certain underpopulated genre of music where I can continue to produce. I would release crap bandcamp/ pay as you want style and make most of my money on concerts and merch. That's the American dream.

But most likely this will just be a hobby as I'm getting my electrical engineering degree so I can work on industrial/military robots.
vladnuke

Postby TheDnBGremlin » 13 Mar 2012 00:35

I want to create tracks that, maybe a few years from now, I can look back and say "I made that, and I did a hell of a job doing it." I'm in it because I want something to call my own, that I can show off to other people and producers and get feedback. I guess I just want a name for what I have, y'know?
TheDnBGremlin

Postby -djmk- » 14 Mar 2012 20:15

i want to make the world a better place no matter what i do, and i love music. so, i intend to do my thing while traveling the globe, being awesome, sharing love and tolerance, and decreasing world suck.
-djmk-

Postby bread » 14 Mar 2012 20:21

Making music that people would acually want to listen to is enough for me. Not that making some money of it would be bad but that is not my main goal.
Soundcloud Youtube
DAW: FL Studio 9
bread

Postby LunchBagMusic » 15 Mar 2012 04:52

Reading what Vlad wrote, I change my original input.

I wan to write for film/TV. Some of my favourite works come out of films, and I think it would just be the coolest job ever. ever.
LunchBagMusic

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 15 Mar 2012 19:11

It has actually become my dream over my time at MLR to score films for a living, no thanks to LASS.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby I AM DUMB HORSE » 16 Mar 2012 15:15

I want to produce music for video games. It was Graeme Norgate that first inspired me to make music. I loved the work he did for the Timesplitters series and Blast Corps, but I think most people know him from his work alongside Grant Kirkhope on the Goldenye 007 and Perfect Dark soundtracks.
I AM DUMB HORSE

Postby BronyTuber » 16 Mar 2012 19:00

The thought never even occurred to me to try and make a living off my music. I never want anything I make to cost someone else a dime. All I wan't is maybe someone out there, while their on way to work, the store, anything, to play one of my songs and sing/hum along just like I do every day.
http://soundcloud.com/bronytuber

"I will speak for you, Father. I speak for all the mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint." -Antonio Salieri (Amadeus)
BronyTuber

Postby Trixie » 16 Mar 2012 20:32

I might have posted here before. Maybe not. Oh well, too lazy to check!

I have a few goals in music, I suppose, most of them (or maybe all of them) very aggressive/big.

One, and the biggest goal of all, is to make a difference in the way people create music; I want to bring new ideas to the table, I want elements of my music to influence other people's music for years after I'm gone.

Two, I want people to be able to listen to one of my, let's say, house tracks or something, and then perhaps the next day, or even the same day, hear an orchestral piece by me without knowing they were by me; and then when they go look up who the artist is, they can hardly believe both tracks are by the same person, due to their very different styles. If that made any sense.

I want to combine contemporary music, like pop, electronic STUFFS, and just about every other genre (I love pretty much all music) with more uncommon and alien ideas, like quarter tones and such, and then bring those sounds to the radio waves. I would love to combine common music styles with not-so-common bits of theory.

And, as a personal goal, I want to explore deeper into music than has been explored before. I want to learn all that's been discovered and learned in the past, and then I want to discover and learn some more. Music is infinite. Isn't it wonderful?

Yay!
"[5:49:48 PM] Bass Clopper: I reget getting the 17 inch
[5:49:53 PM] Bass Clopper: Harder to fit than the 15 was D:"
Trixie

Postby silverblaze » 23 Mar 2012 13:27

I AM DUMB HORSE wrote:I want to produce music for video games.

Kick ass! That's pretty much exactly what I do. although it's only for personal projects at the moment. and they're only chiptunes right now. :b

My full goal is to make amazing music while at the same time making epic video games. :b
Since, I have the music part going for me(not 100% the best atm, but I am getting better), I just need to release a full video game and then I'm set! :D
My pages - Youtube Soundcloud Newgrounds ReverbNation
Bon Bon is best pony! :D
My LiveStream: Streaming every Saturday
silverblaze

PreviousNext

Return to Technique