What you hope to achieve with making music

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

What you hope to achieve with making music

Postby [voodoopony] » 28 Aug 2011 05:52

This isn't a thread about why you make music, but what sort of goal or legacy do you want to achieve? Grand or not, post away.

I wish to end music labels and destroy the record industry in hopes of bringing back a musical renaissance.

How about you?
Last edited by [voodoopony] on 02 Jun 2012 23:54, edited 8 times in total.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Re: What you hope to achieve with making music

Postby Interrobang Pie » 28 Aug 2011 05:58

Popularity.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby PinkieGuy » 28 Aug 2011 06:48

My goal in music is to write and finish at least one full production metal album, so that I can one day off-handedly mention to my kids that I used to have dreadlocks, playing in a metal band, and overall was cool.

Then they'll look at my bulging waistline concealed in my overpriced suit, roll their eyes, and go back to playing the X-Box 3240.
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby bartekko » 28 Aug 2011 07:00

On second Thoughs, idk

do you know how hardcore it is to listen to Katy Perry's E.T. at 259 BPM?
Last edited by bartekko on 01 Sep 2011 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Lethaargic » 28 Aug 2011 08:10

Primarily hope to produce as much art as possible for others to enjoy. Too many people people think there not creative or whatever, they don't realize that they could get into some kind of scene and make a place for themselves, they think it's all just spectator sport. Bridging that gap would be cool.
art is the quintessential embodiment of telepathy, it is how we show each other the inside of our minds

Previously Spacepsy

SoundCloud
Lethaargic

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 28 Aug 2011 08:23

To make my parents love me...

JOKES, I want to write something that no one has ever heard before...
Something that completely changes the way we think of music...
Something that overhauls the very fabric of tonality!!!

Hence why I constantly experiment into unknown territory with music...I've met many styles that have done this, and I want to be the next in line of influential bros!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby HertzDevil » 28 Aug 2011 18:23

Kill sub4sub.com.

And maybe Pie as well.

Long time ago, however, to make people believe I am not playing *bad online games*.
HERTZDEVIL IS NOT SECRETLY JAKE KAUFMAN OKAY
HertzDevil

Postby Whitetail » 28 Aug 2011 22:36

Well at the moment it's pretty much to try and make a piece of music I can wholly say I am satisfied with, though that seems pretty far off.

Music is something I thoroughly enjoy so if I can find a way to make a career out of it I'd very much enjoy that, if in the least to have my dedication to music provide some monetary supplement to whatever else I'm doing.

I pretty much crave the opportunity to get on stage (I find that odd as it completely counteracts my normal personality in which I hate bringing attention to myself if I can avoid it) so while I'd love to start a trend in music, or be appreciated as an artist in the very least I want to augment my life with it. While I've learned about many other things in school as a means of education, my interest in music has been completely self propelled, I had been teaching myself theory way before I ever took a formal class in it - I think this natural desire to pursue this may be an indication that I'd be much happier in a career in music then whatever else I find myself in (currently Engineering, seeing as that's what I'm majoring in).
Whitetail

Postby Makkon » 28 Aug 2011 22:38

MAYBE I CAN GET A JOB AS A COMPOSER

DX

[edit]
sorry for being such a troll, it's been a long week.

I hope to be able to attain a level of production value similar to that of Hans Zimmer of Harry Gregson Williams. Along with being marketable, I want to have music that is still unique and does more than just emulate. I want my music to still be mine, you know?

I just want my stuff to sound real where it needs to, and synth where it's appropriate. I hope to some day attain the perfect balance of both. I want to be versatile, and to be able to work fast and effectively.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby WoodenToaster » 29 Aug 2011 04:46

I don't really have a goal in mind, I make it because it's fun, other people enjoying it is just a bonus.
WoodenToaster

Postby General Mumble » 29 Aug 2011 06:02

Of course it would be great if I could make a healthy living out of music, but seeing as that is a long shot... all I want is to build up a huge library of my own music. This means that I can sit back and take a nice ego trip when I need to.
Something, something, ponies.
Something, something, friendship.
General Mumble

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Poo

Postby Pinkie Cake » 29 Aug 2011 06:42

There are 2 main things that I want to achieve with music:
1. Get some money out of it, then buy better equipment, then get some more money.
2. Live DJing. Eeyup, I want to go to clubs to mix for people. Throw in some of our brony community music unexpectedly. Maybe even go to brony meet ups to mix live. Wow, I'm daydreaming again...

Well I still got plenty of time to learn :D
Pinkie Cake

Postby NightColt » 29 Aug 2011 16:00

Ideally? Dominate the music industry and distribute my new-found wealth across the world to promote engineering a safer, greener planet.

Realistically? Hold three straight band practices without changing the line-up and play one live gig. It's very possible yet highly improbable at the same time.
I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES.

THAT IS ALL.
NightColt

Postby Whitetail » 29 Aug 2011 16:05

@night

Haha, good luck with that, getting enough people together for a band to longer then 1 "practice" seems to be near impossible
Whitetail

Postby NightColt » 29 Aug 2011 16:30

We have three core members who always stay together and who can play virtually every instrument in the band. If one of us manned the frak up and learned to sing, we wouldn't have to cycle through everyone's "acquaintances" and their sisters all the time.

Problem is we all want to play lead guitar.
I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES.

THAT IS ALL.
NightColt

Postby sci » 29 Aug 2011 16:36

WoodenToaster wrote:I don't really have a goal in mind, I make it because it's fun, other people enjoying it is just a bonus.

what he said.

If I'm smiling uncontrollably while making a track, that means it's working.

well, that and I like to relax by making sounds. This is why half of what I make will put you to sleep.

I love it when people enjoy my work, but that takes backseat to having fun. (In fact, I tend to be surprised when people like some of my stuff.)

General Mumble wrote:all I want is to build up a huge library of my own music.

I was against this for the longest time, but then my own music kept getting stuck in my head and I was like "FINE, DAMNIT".
now I'm in my own library.
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby General Mumble » 29 Aug 2011 19:16

sci wrote:some of

You will never know how hard I just laughed, unless of course by chance you heard it.
Something, something, ponies.
Something, something, friendship.
General Mumble

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Poo

Postby RobotPony » 06 Sep 2011 18:46

I would like to play some live shows and hopefully even make some sort of living from music. I've been sticking with music for the last 11 years (gosh, it's almost 12 now) and I've never gotten bored with it. If anything it's gotten more exciting. Not only am I playing more stuff on the guitar, I am trying to write stuff not-for-guitar with Logic.

Regardless, even if I don't become famous enough, I still want to produce and write music. I've been doing it for so long and I love it so much, I can't imagine myself not doing it in the future.
RobotPony

Postby Pickslide1992 » 11 Sep 2011 08:25

I just want to entertain people without lowering my standards or giving in to what's hip. In other words, stick to my guns and play my heart out without selling out.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 11 Sep 2011 19:55

I want to make music that moves people. Stuff that people can relate to, stuff that people can attach fond memories to, stuff that speaks directly to them, stuff that people can see a little of themselves in, and hold close to their hearts. It sounds corny as hell, but that's how I feel about the music I love, and I want other people to feel that way too.

I want to be able to make a living out of that too. I want to be able to experiment and never stop learning, and be able to churn out anything I feel like doing. If possible, I'd like to be able to release my own music, go on tour, play for people, see as much of the world as I can, and work and connect with as many people as I can.

It sounds rather far fetched, but I'll be damned if I don't work as hard as I can to make it happen.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby Triangle Brony » 12 Sep 2011 11:38

I just always wanted to make something with artistic value.
And music is the only art that I can do.

Unless games are art too. Because if they are then music can go to hell.
Triangle Brony

Postby Applejinx » 12 Sep 2011 12:07

I just want to like some of what I do... I do have some hints as to where I ought to take it.

Once at a convention, I sat and played echojam for an hour, on guitar, thinkin' nobody cared or was listening, and then gave up and went to bed.

Next day, a girl came and thanked me, sayin' the music helped her through a terrible emotional tailspin, and she hung onto it and felt better because it comforted her.

THAT. I want to do more of that. I don't mind not being a very good pony if I can do that once in a while for somebody, that's all I ask.
Applejinx

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 14 Sep 2011 20:30

Applejinx wrote:Next day, a girl came and thanked me, sayin' the music helped her through a terrible emotional tailspin, and she hung onto it and felt better because it comforted her.

THAT. I want to do more of that. I don't mind not being a very good pony if I can do that once in a while for somebody, that's all I ask.

This. This a million times.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby PiercingSight » 23 Sep 2011 06:55

This isn't about me. The music I write is for others, for comfort, for joy, and for the pure pleasure of storytelling...

When someone tells me that I cured their stress, made them think differently, or caused them to feel something other than "a sick beat" , that's the stuff that makes me happy. The best moments (only happened a few times) are when I've been able to bring tears (good tears, mind you).

So yeah, just to help others love music, and love others through music. :)
I don't believe in work. I believe in productive play. - me

Yamaha DGX-620, Garageband '11.
Instruments: Piano (by ear since I was 3), violin (barely), Guitar (novice).

http://soundcloud.com/piercingsight
http://youtube.com/user/danegraphics
PiercingSight

Postby UnderpΩny » 23 Sep 2011 12:16

...for the lulz. *shrugs*
I consider myself a hobbyist.

=====EDIT=====

Okay, thinking more deeply about the question...

I'd be lying if I said that what other people think about my music doesn't matter to me. Of course it does. I love making music, and I'm proud of everything I produce, and if someone else really likes it too, that feeling is just amazing. But I don't ever see myself making a living out of music. It will probably always just be a bonus to me. Not the thing that I make a living from, but the thing that makes life worth living, I suppose.

Philisophically speaking, I think the future of music lies not with the music industry, and large record labels, but with creative commons. Music belongs to the people... yeah that sounded gay, but it's the simplest way to put it. I feel privelaged to live in a time where it's relatively easy to find music by unknowns.

Some of the artists I've heard out here have inspired me greatly, and if I ever manage to inspire someone else in the same way... well, that would make it all worth it, wouldn't it? I hope that I reach that level of skill one day, but for now I regard myself as an enthusiastic amateur - I know enough about making music to know that I know hardly anything about making music. But I'm improving all the time.
UnderpΩny

Next

Return to Technique