How do I get THIS guitar sound?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

How do I get THIS guitar sound?

Postby General Mumble » 26 Jul 2011 04:52

Now, I'm about 99% sure that this guitar sound is a synth, and I can't seem to get anything close to it when I try. It's just beautiful, and that's saying a lot about a guitar emulating synth.

It starts at about 29 seconds.

Something, something, ponies.
Something, something, friendship.
General Mumble

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Poo

Re: How do I get THIS guitar sound?

Postby Andy Feelin » 26 Jul 2011 06:42

You can use any synth for this effect. It's just a square synth with lots of cut-offs and glides.
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby Interrobang Pie » 26 Jul 2011 06:51

That's definitely a 50% square.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Whitetail » 26 Jul 2011 09:47

Yeah, it's just a square with delay on it that's played in a guitar type fashion

To go for the whole "guitar solo" type of sound you should should use plenty of slides to transition between notes that are further away from each other and bend up the pitch the sustained notes. Also guitar soloing is normally more disjointed so to speak compared to other instruments, it's often very "section-y" with the occasional long section of arpeggios.

Here's what a minor scale pattern looks on the fret board, you should keep how the instrument is actually played in mind when you write to sound like it. Notice how easy it is to transition between specific notes, choicely the 1st and 5th (the basis of powerchords which are the most often used chord pattern on guitars), one thing that can work nicely is to go from the first to the 5th hammering on and off the 6th back to the 5th.

Also never bend notes down when trying to sound like a guitar, unless you have a whammy (which is difficult to use for more then effects or the occasional tremelo) it's impossible.

Adding some slight vibrato to stressed notes that begin or end sequences involving a lot of faster notes can get you a pretty pleasing effect too.

Also when you get really high on the fret board (like past the 16th fret) it becomes fairly hard to do complicated finger work, so normally the higher sections contain more long held out notes and bends.
Whitetail

Postby Andy Feelin » 26 Jul 2011 10:19

Derpy Hooves wrote:Also never bend notes down when trying to sound like a guitar, unless you have a whammy (which is difficult to use for more then effects or the occasional tremelo) it's impossible.

But you can play with pre-bends ;) For example listen to "Vielleicht Das Nachste Mal" by Rainbow.
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby Whitetail » 26 Jul 2011 10:24

Well yeah but it's much less common haha, if you're going for a typical guitar sound it's easier to just stick with bending up
Whitetail

Postby General Mumble » 26 Jul 2011 13:02

Derpy, you so helpful. I'm gonna make note to work on this sort of thing straight after I've done some of my collab work.

Now I'm going to hone make this thread a little more specific.

I'm using FL Studio. Any ideas on how to add vibrato to a note? I've had a brief look around for ways to do it before with no luck.
General Mumble

Postby Whitetail » 26 Jul 2011 13:15

Automate the pitch bend up and down very slightly fairly quickly
Your plugin may also have a setting for that, many have a Modulation setting which can that for you if you set it up right.
Whitetail

Postby General Mumble » 26 Jul 2011 13:23

Again, thank you. I'll have a look soon.
General Mumble

Return to Technique